Version 8.4 > BUG: Win 10 menu won't show after using SSP 8.4

richdr71
9/9/2017 3:32:26 PM
After we use and close SSP 8.4 (Aug.9 build), the Windows 10 menu will not display. By the Windows 10 menu, I mean the panel that appears when pushing the WinKey, or by clicking on the window at the far left of the task bar (in default location). This means that other programs can't be accessed, and novice users don't even know how to shut down or restart the computer.

This happens to me at home, and on our new Win10 computer at the church.

This does not happen with Slide Show Builder, only the main program.

If this is a known issue, I'm sorry. If there is a known solution, please point me to it.

Thanks,
Rich D.R.

akins
9/9/2017 4:42:31 PM
Looking at the number of hits received when searching for "Win 10 menu not working" I'm guessing this is a
Win 10 bug not related to SSP. I lose the fancy tiled menu about every day and have to restart to get it back.
Thank you M$.

richdr71
9/9/2017 8:03:16 PM
Maybe, but I only have this problem when running SSP.

akins
9/10/2017 11:58:09 AM
Maybe try opening MS menu while SSP is still open to see if it is due to opening or closing SSP.

richdr71
9/12/2017 9:45:41 AM
I'll give that a try. 

I notice that it doesn't always happen. So it may be a specific component in SSP that causes a conflict with the Win10 menu system. If I have time, I may try to dial down to which part of the program is the trouble-maker. On the other hand, it could simply be a matter of how long the program runs, and that a minor conflict is sometimes, but not always recoverable. (I'm far from an expert on how these things work - I'm just guessing here.)

Note that it's not just the Win10 menu that's affected; all the right-click menu options for any program on the task bar are also affected. The Win10 issue is the most problematic, since it makes it difficult to restart or shut down Windows. Alt-F4 on the desktop brings up the shut-down/restart (etc.) dialog, but not everyone knows that.

George
9/14/2017 9:33:51 AM
This is an ongoing Window 10 issue, not an SSP issue.

The quickest "reset" for this that I have found is to restart the Windows Explorer process from Task Manager.  The alternative is to wait it out.  It always seems to come back eventually for me.  Another option if you are impatient may be to use the right-click menu on the Start button to log out/in.

I see this all the time on machines that do not have SSP on them.

iamgap
9/14/2017 4:20:16 PM
Posted By George Taylor on 14 Sep 2017 09:33 AM

This is an ongoing Window 10 issue, not an SSP issue.

The quickest "reset" for this that I have found is to restart the Windows Explorer process from device manager.  The alternative is to wait it out.  It always seems to come back eventually for me.  Another option if you are impatient may be to use the right-click menu on the Start button to log out/in.

I see this all the time on machines that do not have SSP on them.

I have found that the best way to restart explorer is Ctrl+Alt+Del and select Task Manager or right-click the Task Bar (bottom of the screen) and select Task Manager. With Windows 10 you have to click More Details to get the menus. Select the File menu and then select New Task (Run...). Type explorer.exe and click OK.

George
9/15/2017 2:16:42 PM
Thanks Gary - I fixed my typo - It should have been Task MGR instead of device mgr...

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙