Version 5.5 > Song Pages Go Blank

michaeldyaeger
11/23/2008 10:14:12 PM
I have a very interesting (baffling) problem. We just upgraded our projection computer (Compaq Presario CP50-139WM laptop). The specs are as follows:

2.00 GHz Intel Celeron Processor 575
2048 MB RAM
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
765 MB Video RAM
160 GB (5400 rpm) HDD
15.4" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen

While running SSP v5.5, when a song has two of the same section back-to-back (i.e. V1,C,C or V1,V1,C), the first page of the second time through is blank. The title, CCLI number, etc. are still there, but the lyrics are missing. When the operator advances to the next page, the lyrics momentarily appear and transition to the next screen of lyrics.

The work-around I used was adding the same song several times back to back and splitting the repeated sections between instances of the song.

What could be the problem? We are using "Page-by-Page" with fades between sections/verses and no fades between pages. The processor is a single core processor, so it can't be the dual core issue.

Any help is appreciated (except for suggestions of ugrading to v7). Thanks!

osborn4
11/24/2008 6:18:37 AM
I've not seen this. But I know that with 5.5., many odd problems like that get solved by updating the video drivers.

michaeldyaeger
3/18/2009 11:21:53 AM
I was able to round up all of the Windows XP drivers for this laptop and installed a dual-boot setup with both Vista and XP.

I installed SSP 5.5.01.00 under XP Pro SP3 today and tested the operation of our song transitions...

THE SAME PROBLEM IS STILL HAPPENING!

Does anyone have any additional thoughts? Vista compatibility cannot be the culprit.

michaeldyaeger
3/18/2009 11:34:41 AM
I've also come to find out over the past few months that if we back up one page in the same verse then move forward again, the same thing occurs where there are no lyrics on the page/slide/screen.

michaeldyaeger
3/26/2009 11:13:33 AM
I'm wondering if this is a graphics card issue? The laptop has a "Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family" display device. Actually, there are two in device manager. Anyone had any problems with this graphics adapter?

osborn4
3/26/2009 11:58:37 AM
That graphic adapter wouldn't be up to any sort of advanced features. That's one of the reasons I never recommend a laptop unless there is absolutly no other way.

michaeldyaeger
6/23/2009 9:41:46 AM
The main reason we use a laptop is so that we can take our projection "system" with us when we do services at off-site locations (like other churchs, parks, etc.). It, also, allows me to take the laptop home and create the service program during the week since I am bi-vocational.

Our previous system was a laptop with SSP 5.3 installed. It was a slower system, so we had all of the "effects" disabled in the properties. We never had any sort of problem with this setup. It ran so smoothly, I preferred it over MediaShout or EasyWorship.

On a side note, I installed SSP 5.5.01.00 on an older laptop which used an older graphics card to see if that might be the issue. However, the system only had 512MB of RAM and we were getting "Out of memory" errors left and right. We couldn't even display a song with lyrics only. It's funny, 'cause our old system runnining SSP 5.3 only had 256MB of RAM and a 2GB HDD.

michaeldyaeger
7/2/2009 3:31:22 PM
Ok, this should baffle everyone...

I now have SSP V5.5 installed on a desktop computer with dual monitors. The graphics card is an ATI Radeon Xpress 1200 Series which is built into the ECS AMD690GM-M2 motherboard. The processor is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (Socket 939) and there are 2GB of dual channel memory and plenty of HDDs. The OS is Win XP Pro SP3 (32-bit).

I am having the SAME problem. Well, similar. Now, it skips over all of the slides in a repeat section and goes straight for the last slide of the section instead of displaying a blank slide. I am having trouble seeing how anyone ever used this version of the software...

osborn4
7/2/2009 3:50:42 PM
If your processor is hyper-threaded or dual core, you will need to turn off those features. 5.5 worked great for me after I turned off hyper-threading.

5.5.4 was the first version of 5.5 I tried. I stayed with 5.3 until 5.5.4 came out.

michaeldyaeger
7/16/2009 3:17:57 PM
As far as I know, there is no way to disable one of the cores of a dual-core processor...

osborn4
7/16/2009 3:50:16 PM
That's right. You're really digging into ancient memory.

There was some sort of registry hack or something that forced SSP to run on a single processor, or something like that.

osborn4
7/16/2009 3:52:11 PM
Looks like I was wrong. I just found this thread.

akins
7/17/2009 12:43:26 PM
What happens if you put a blank slide (one from the verse order menu) between the two duplicates? I do this whenever I repeat a verse or chorus so the audience can see that the second view isn't just the first view.

osborn4
7/17/2009 1:52:19 PM
He's running 5.5, so I don't think he has the blank slide functionality. I can't remember when they added that.

akins
7/17/2009 8:31:33 PM
Ah, you're right Joel. Maybe inserting a self-produced blank (by making a song part with only a one space) would produce a work-around.

michaeldyaeger
7/28/2009 3:46:03 PM
I'm sure this would work, but would require that I re-order all of the songs in our database, which is what I am trying to avoid. I could even copy the lyrics of one section into another section and put those 2 sections back to back. But, again, this requires re-ordering all of our songs.

George
7/31/2009 11:58:21 AM
Posted By michaeldyaeger on 07/16/2009 3:17 PM
As far as I know, there is no way to disable one of the cores of a dual-core processor...

On most Intel multi-core systems you can do this in the BIOS, however it may not be available on all of them.  It will depend on the BIOS used 
If it is available, it can be found in the main screen and is usually called Multi-Core or Core-Multiplexing technology.  set it to Disabled to run one core only.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙