Version 5.5 > Different Song Listing Abilities??

DeanZF
11/29/2009 5:13:03 PM
Greetings, one and all.

I'm new to the forum and barely initiated in the world of SSP 5.5. And I have questions (OY, do I have questions). I'll start with my most pressing issue.

Background: We "inherited" this system when a sister congregation disbanded. It is an XP system with SSP 5.5 installed and registered. Those folks had about 650 titles in the database. I'm the lucky soul who gets to figure out which of those are in our own worship team's repertoire and which need to be archived and removed. We're busy converting our songs from overhead to SSP entries.

Because of this, it would be really good if I had a listing of titles with author/composer, publisher, and copyright year. Right now, the list that SSP creates is title only, or I think I can add tempo and key. Those are handy for other reasons and other people, but don't help me sort this stuff out.

I used the little button to create a list of songs that have already found a home in our database, only to find the lack of cross-referencing info.

I saw one "solution" that involved downloading a macro maker and creating a macro that would copy and move info. Is that the most elegant solution for this issue?

Is there a readable database of the information that I can get into and mine the data I'm looking for? Maybe something that I can copy and paste into Excell or into Access?

I'm looking forward to being part of the community, getting info when needed and giving info where possible.
--
DeanZF
Missouri

osborn4
11/30/2009 6:36:18 AM
What you could do is leave them for now, but as you use a song, edit the song and add your church's initials in parenthesis at the end of the title. Text inside the parens won't show up on the projections.

Then, in about a year or so, scroll through the database and delete the ones that don't have your church's initials in the title.

You can also add songs that you use frequently to the quick list, so that you can get to them quicker.

You might also want to look at upgrading to SSP v7. When you upgrade, you get access to online training and telephone support as well as the 3 or so updates every year. Gofishmedia.net is your contact for that.

akins
11/30/2009 7:29:53 AM
This would be a good item for the wish list. I think a lot of people would like to have the ability of printing songs in various types of listings. Being able to export the song database to Excel would accomplish this.

DeanZF
11/30/2009 3:13:10 PM
Thanks for the responses. The paren idea is interesting. Certainly one thing that can help long range.

One kind of repeat question, only because I won't have my hands on the computer until Wednesday night: Is there one massive file or folder in which can be found all of the songs and their data from verses to copyright and CCLI??

Again, thanks.
--
DeanZF
Missouri

osborn4
11/30/2009 3:34:50 PM
There is a song folder. The default location is something like All Users\Documents\R-Technics\SongShowPlus\Songs. I believe each song is in a different file. But that won't give you anything more than the list of songs in the directory.

akins
11/30/2009 4:01:51 PM
Also in that "songs" folder, and just as important, are two other folders, "various" and "indexes." I believe they contain the database info about key, tempo, etc.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙