Version 5.5 > Song Inventory Question

DeanZF
12/13/2009 2:24:07 PM
Okay, I'm ready for more learnin'! 

If I can figure out the protocol, or if I were to install SSP on my home computer and install a song on my home installation, can I simply copy the two folders from the Songs folder and paste them in the church computer and expect SSP to figure out that they're part of the inventory?

Until I get the church PC networked, I can't use Internet sources for download of song data. I frankly don't know how long that's going to take.

And there's another question, but I'm going to use a separate thread.

TIA!! It's slowly working. I've got two folks trained to create "shows" and a couple of more waiting in the wings. YAY!!

osborn4
12/13/2009 3:09:16 PM
It should work, but you may need to reindex.

You could also put the new songs in a program a do a Package To Go to a thumb drive and restore it on the church computer. That's probably what I'd do.

akins
12/13/2009 3:39:57 PM
You just need to copy the "songs" folder, which contains the songs along with two database folders, "index" and "various." You can reindex or it will do it automatically when you start up SSP.

cegarrett
12/14/2009 8:23:03 AM
I pesronally prefer to copy the folders and re-index too. I just don't like the package to go for some reason.

George
12/14/2009 8:38:37 AM
If you are doing a program or just a few songs, the Package To Go will work fine but if you are wanting to move your entire song list the backup/restore utility is a far better option than just copying the files.   The file copy method assumes that you know where all the part reside and should be copied to.  The backup/restore will do that for you.

osborn4
12/14/2009 8:43:04 AM
But for a few songs, I find P-T-G works great. In my case, it's usually because I'm putting the program together at home, so I want to move the whole package anyway.

When we wanted to get all the songs from the projection computer onto the Associate Pastor's laptop, I did a backup of just the songs on the projection computer, then we restored it to his laptop and that worked well.

akins
12/14/2009 9:39:32 AM
The backup/restore with the "overwrite if newer" option will do, essentially, the same thing as package-to-go, but without you having to choose anything. I use it routinely back and forth between projection and workstation and haven't had any problems. At one time I thought it caused "duplicate" songs to show up in the song panel, but I discovered that they are caused by SSP not being very good about recognizing parentheses and some other special characters in the names (I hope this gets fixed sometime soon).

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙