Version 8.1 > SLI or Crossfire Compatability?

bitbank
10/1/2014 8:36:41 PM
The following knowledge base indicates that neither Nvidia's SLI mode or ATI's Crossfire mode are currently supported.  Are there any plans to achieve compatibility for either of these multi-card options?

http://www.ssplash.com/Support/Know...fault.aspx

thanks,
karl

dreece
10/1/2014 9:41:46 PM
You're referring to a post from almost a decade ago. I haven't kept track of those technologies. My recollection, however, is that (back in 2005) the multiple video cards were linked together but would only produce a single display output. This KB article was put out there to alert users that they shouldn't by these cards with the expectation that they will provide multiple display outputs. In any case, I don't see how they would benefit video rendering. Those technologies were for rending 3D graphics very fast, along with some physics calculations.

bitbank
10/1/2014 9:44:58 PM
Doug,
I was referred to that KB by the support team. Im looking at trying to significantly increase the video performance I have today, and SLI mode seems to be one good way to do that. So the question is, is there any concern for a compatibility issue with SSP?

dreece
10/1/2014 9:51:34 PM
We don't test with SLI so we can't make a claim one way or the other. But with my understanding of SLI, I don't see how it would be particularly helpful for rendering video.

bitbank
10/1/2014 9:55:43 PM
My understanding is that SLI will allow two video cards in a single PC to split up the video processing across two video cards- essentially providing "roughly" double the video processing capability (by video processing, I mean the processing that the video cards have to do). Is this not correct?

dreece
10/1/2014 10:01:08 PM
Yes, the process of rendering 3D graphics. There is no 3D graphics involved in rendering a video file. But, it's possible, I suppose that the decoding of the video (which also uses the GPU) could benefit from SLI -- it just doesn't seem to me that is what is being described by the SLI technology.

bitbank
10/1/2014 10:16:18 PM
Hi Doug,
Yes, I agree. The gamers are going for rendering performance. For SSP output, it could be largely video performance (depending upon what was being displayed). But in trying to get decent video playback rates at say Triple Wide 1080P, Id think that would provide a significant performance boost. Right?

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙