Version 8.1 > Triple Wide across Video Cards?

bitbank
10/1/2014 8:39:02 PM
SSP 8.x appears to support Triple Wide video across multiple video ports, which is GREAT news.  Will SSP 8.x support Triple Wide video across multiple video CARDS?  This would provide significant performance gain if supported (even if not in SLI or Crossfire mode).
thanks,
karl

dreece
10/1/2014 9:34:51 PM
Karl, I thought that you already tested this.

In any case, when you say "significant performance gain"...what are you comparing it to? Performance gain from what?

bitbank
10/1/2014 9:41:52 PM
Compared to a single video card.

dreece
10/1/2014 9:48:15 PM
Perhaps I don't quite understand the question. Pushing video content to three outputs simultaneously certainly requires more system resources than pushing video content to just one display. If, on the other hand, you're referring to the bandwidth limitation of a single video port using a triple wide resolution vs. the bandwidth of multiple single width video ports, I can only theorize that it works better. Again, didn't you test this yourself and report to us that it worked as you hoped it would?

bitbank
10/1/2014 9:52:27 PM
Hi Doug,
Sorry for not being clear.
Yes, I tested Triple Wide support on three separate video ports, but ports which were on the SAME video card.
I'm guessing that SSP doesn't really know which video cards those ports are on, which I hope means that this will work across video card boundaries as well.

That is, I'm asking if Triple Wide is supported on three separate video ports, but ports which were on the DIFFERENT video cards.

thanks,
karl

dreece
10/1/2014 9:58:32 PM
The word "support", I think, means that the software officially supports a particular configuration. We do not do any testing with SSP displays spanning multiple video ports (and/or cards). I know in the past (Windows XP) this has been a problem. I can see various reasons why it could continue to be problem, but also reasons why it may no longer be an issue (DirectX upgrade in Windows Vista). I can see how spanning ports across a video card would work pretty well, and why spanning across video cards could be problematic. I have system that in my office (a non-SSP machine) where the video drivers consistently crash and restart when I simply resize a windows that is spanning a video card boundary. Spanning video card boundaries is not something we'd recommend and certainly not something we officially support. But if you can get it to work, that's great news and would like to hear about it from you!

bitbank
10/1/2014 10:19:19 PM
Doug,
Fair enough. I get it that "support" incurs liability on the dev side.

But I'm just trying to figure out what HW config I need to run a Triple Wide 1080P SSP system with decent frame rate. If you think I'm reaching for risky technology, can you please help me with a recommendation on what "other" HW config you think would be sufficient for Triple Wide 1080P playback?
thanks,
karl

dreece
10/3/2014 11:03:34 AM
If I were to try this myself, I would user a triple head video card so that all three displays are being driven by the same video card.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙