Tips & Tricks > When the colors look great on a CRT, but not on the projector

mike
8/9/2005 9:29:18 AM

I make the sermon outline at home, and sometimes the colors (font, background) look great there, but need to be adjusted, when I see how they look when projected on the screen (often washed out).

I used to visit each slide individually and adjust the colors there.  A better solution is to set your background, font and colors using the ‘File->Display Properties’ in SSB, and not on the individual slides.  Then, if you need to adjust it, you only need to change it once, in ‘Display Properties’, changing the attributes there will affect all of your slides where you have not overridden the slide-show display properties in an individual slide.

Additionally, I like to display scripture differently than I display the outline text, normally on individual slides.  And, because I never use 'footers',  I resize the 'Main Text' and the 'Footer' text windows (in the 'Slide' option of this 'Display Properties' dialog box) so they they are the exact same size and shape, each overlapping each other and taking all of the space below the 'Title' box.   Then on a slide where I want to display scripture, I use the 'footer' text box, on a slide where I display outline, I use 'Main Text'.

Now, if the outline text (perhaps displayed in light blue) and/or the scripture (perhaps displayed in white italics) don't look right when projected, in each case, I just make one change in the 'Display Properties)  to fix the problem.

Mike

southcity
11/10/2005 2:19:15 AM
Posted By mike on 08/09/2005 9:29 AM

I make the sermon outline at home, and sometimes the colors (font, background) look great there, but need to be adjusted, when I see how they look when projected on the screen (often washed out).

Many factors can affect the colour presentation, including
  • Contrast range of LCD projectors in particular is often relatively low compared to a CRT
  • Ambient light levels can wash out the screen, try darkening your auditorium.
  • Try adjusting the contrast and brightness settings of your projector. High brightness setting will wash out lighter colours. In this case, try increasing contrast setting as well, or buy a more powerful projector.
  • Use highly contrasting colours. The subtlety between adjacent colours in a gradient fill, for example, will often be lost.

osborn4
11/10/2005 6:37:04 AM
We have this problem big time. Our projector is underpowered (1100 lumns for a 9'x12' screen with lots of ambient light) with a big yellow spot in the middle (from not cleaning the filter for 3 years).

To save life on the projector, we put together the slide show using a second monitor and then run through it with the projector and make adjustments, usually increasing the color contrast so things are more readable. It's real depressing looking at the monitor, compared to the screen, and realizing what it SHOULD look like.

So, you are not alone. We feel your pain.

However, adjusting the contrast and brightness for the projector might help. It would be worth giving it a shot.

bachelier
2/23/2006 11:03:33 AM
try a new bulb

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙