Tips & Tricks > Semi Transparents

coehler
9/14/2005 8:57:25 AM
I have been through SSP and can not find a way to create a semi transparent box. Our pastor has been asking. 
We often have a photo or detailed graphic for the background and would like to have a semi transparent box for the text, to help it stand out yet stilll see the full ackground image. is there any way for this to be done or should I move this over to future requests?

iamgap
9/14/2005 9:25:48 AM
I have requested such a feature in SSP 7, and I believe it is being considered.

What I do in the mean time is edit the picture in PaintShop so that it has that semi transparent box look.

Just create a new layer that is about the size you want, solid fill it with white (or any color you choose), and fade (I can't remember the proper term, but it is in the layer control panel) that layer. Then save the image as a PSP and a JPG. If the JPG need perfecting, you can continue to edit the PSP version and save it again as a JPG.

gap

Lee
9/14/2005 10:08:35 AM
Of course that doesn't work for motion backgrounds, which emphasizes how useful it would be if V7 would do it.

Rod
9/14/2005 5:07:21 PM
The other thing you can do, Is darken or lighten the background image.

Select "Properties" then choose " Background effects" then "Brightness"

One Of the things I read they are going to do with V7 is the new Rip FX pro module that will amongst other things allow us to darken / lighten a motion background.

They did also say that would look at transparencies.

Rod

mmax
9/22/2005 12:09:04 PM
There is actually a way to do this with SSP right now but it requires some work.  First create a white (or whatever color you want) image of whatever size you want.  Save the image into the SSP Images Folder.  On you slide, right click and choose background.  Go to the Background Effects and choose Custom Watermark.  If you don't see Custom Watermark, you need to install the ProModule for that particular feature.  Choose the image that you created and use the sizing and placement controls to get it into the right spot on the image.  Use the intensity control to give the desired level of opacity.

Like I said, it requires some work but there you go.

Blessings,
Matt

Rod
9/22/2005 6:33:58 PM
That won't work with motion backgrounds though??

Rod

Karen39
9/22/2005 7:45:03 PM
No, I am almost certain it won't work with motion backgrounds.

mmax
9/23/2005 10:03:24 AM
No, it will not work with motion backgrounds.  Only still images as backgrounds are affected by the background effects right now.

cowgirl4Jesus
4/2/2007 3:12:01 PM
I have ran into the same problem. This is what I have done. I go to display properties and then go to background effects. Then choose Shine. You can position the shine behind your words and make it any color and size.
It works but a semi transparent box would be a lot nicer.

Lee
4/3/2007 11:54:41 AM
There have been several ideas and variations of this kicking around now and then, such as adding transparency to the "shapes" in SSB and allowing text in the shapes, adding free-form text "objects" to SSP that surround lyrics with transparency (so lyrics can be displayed better over busy backgrounds), text crawlers contained within transparent boxes, etc.

Of course this is in addition to the transparency effect now possible in v7 with motion backgrounds and image backgrounds.

If you like these ideas you might want to submit your own wish to the wish list which serves not only to get new ideas into the system, but also to give R-Technics a feel for how popular a particular idea might be in the market place.

osborn4
4/3/2007 12:59:29 PM
If you want the appearance of a transparent box over a motion background, you could create a black graphic with a white box (or whatever color you are looking for) and layer it under the motion background using the transparency setting for the motion background.

I've never tried it, but I imagine it would work real close to what you are looking for.

osborn4
4/3/2007 2:19:29 PM
Have you been following the coming features in Doug's blog?

Looks like we'll have a lot better options in the near future.

steephollow
3/13/2011 7:36:20 AM

Has this been addressed.  I still don't see it as an option.

Thanks

osborn4
3/14/2011 7:03:27 AM
You'll need to make a white or black box (depending on your prefernce) as a GIF, JPG or PNG.

Then on your background layer, go to Advanced Effects and use the Image overlay function and select your box. You can adjust position and transparency from there.

akins
3/14/2011 10:29:55 AM
I have been through SSP and can not find a way to create a semi transparent box. Our pastor has been asking. We often have a photo or detailed graphic for the background and would like to have a semi transparent box for the text, to help it stand out yet still see the full background image. is there any way for this to be done or should I move this over to future requests?

I haven't followed this thread closely and might be missing the point, but I routinely do this with all kinds and combinations of backgounds. I insert a shape (box icon in menu), change color as desired and use slider to make it semi-transparent, then insert text, and change shape size as needed. Depending on the order of insertions, you might have to move the shape forward or backward (bottom, left panel) so that it is between the background and the text. I also remove any outline on the shape and then add the "blur edge" effect.
I often bring text up in some sequence and so I have to make the shape entrance quick and then follow by the text entrance. This is another one of the procedures which would benefit by having the ability to have two (or more) entrance animations occur simultaneously (a, yet unfulfilled, wish list item).

osborn4
3/14/2011 12:13:10 PM
I think they are talking about songs, not slideshows.

OTOH, he could convert the song to a slide show and use the shape tool there.

I do the same thing all the time with the sermon slide show.

akins
3/14/2011 12:57:43 PM
I think they are talking about songs, not slideshows

Ah, it doesn't say, but you are probably right.
I do the same thing all the time with the sermon slide show

Here again, it would be nice to be able to have two items appear at the same time.

osborn4
3/14/2011 2:05:24 PM
I would very much like to just add color and transparency to a text box, rather than having to add a seperate object.

But having animate with previous (like a certian other slide show program does), as well as animate after previous and animate on click would be good, also.

I believe I've dropped that in the wishlist bucket a time or two.

Lucas
3/14/2011 2:06:19 PM
I think I recall doing something similar to this, but I used the RipFX effects and applied a shadow repeatedly across a image...
I'm fairly sure I've done a rudimentary form of this just using effects...

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙