Mobile Apps > iOS App Release: Remote is pretty cool

mike
11/12/2012 11:02:47 AM
I recently got my first iphone* so naturally I went and got the  iOS App:  Remote -- the thing is pretty slick!

The only suggestion that I would make to the dev team is that it would be nice if the projection machine's IP address was displayed in the dialog where 'mobile
control' is enabled -- You know that most of us are going to need it right about the same time we are enabling that feature.

Also, I was a little confused as to why anyone would ever want to fill in an IP on that screen (unless the machine had multiple IPs, in which case a pull down list would be nice).

I was also kind of surprised that port 80 was the default port.   I do suspect it is a safe bet to assume that most of us are not running a web server on the projection machine, but I still would have gone with something that was not quite so widely used.  I guess if this was implemented using HTTP, it makes sense.

I got the thing working on my home PC immediately -- including punching the hole in the windows firewall, which was very straight forward.  Sunday morning I tried it on the church projection PC and didn't have the same success.   It was about an hour before the service and when it didn't work the first time, I abandoned the effort because I didn't have time to fool around with it.    I know the network there has been hobbled together (by the church and the school) over the past 10 years using daisy chains of about a dozen various switches and routers.  I suspect that I have a job ahead of me of finding the wireless router and making sure that it is hanging off of the same switch as the projection PC and trying to obtain the password to the thing to see what restrictions it puts on the wireless clients.

*my days of being the geek with that always has the latest gadgets ended long ago.. Come to think about it, it was about the same time I got married

dreece
11/13/2012 4:07:12 PM
I agree that having the default IP address displayed would be helpful. And it is more common than you might realize that a machine will have more than one IP address. However, the app should automatically detect the machine without the need for you to enter the IP address manually.

stricha01
9/4/2015 5:13:06 PM
Love the App. Would be nice if there was a setting where you could prevent the phone from going to sleep while the app was active.

Thoughts?

I can change the settings on my phone to delay the timeout, but would be nice to have those settings only when the app is active.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙