Tips & Tricks > Pseudo Outer Glow

osborn4
1/21/2006 3:12:17 PM
I can't rememger where Doug passed this on to me, but we've been using it more and more, so I wanted to pass it on.

If you need an outer glow around your letters, rather than a drop shadow, you can adjust the shadow to be directly behind the letters, change the color to white (or whatever) and then set the blur up to 100%. (I think Blur is the name of that slider. You'll know what I mean when you look at the shadow properties.)

This will create a nice little glow around the letters, particularly useful if you are putting dark letters on a mostly light background that has some dark spots on it.

Now, if we could just turn the blur up to about 200% or so, it would be a better glow. But, as is, it is still occasionally useful.

Karen39
1/21/2006 3:24:33 PM
Wow, not that sounds cool!  I never thought of that

osborn4
1/21/2006 3:34:13 PM
Me neither. Doug tipped me off to this possibiity when I was complaining to him about needing some sort of outer glow, or a better outline feature.

iamgap
1/21/2006 3:58:59 PM
Posted By osborn4 on 01/21/2006 3:12 PM
I can't rememger where Doug passed this on to me, but we've been using it more and more, so I wanted to pass it on.

If you need an outer glow around your letters, rather than a drop shadow, you can adjust the shadow to be directly behind the letters, change the color to white (or whatever) and then set the blur up to 100%. (I think Blur is the name of that slider. You'll know what I mean when you look at the shadow properties.)

This will create a nice little glow around the letters, particularly useful if you are putting dark letters on a mostly light background that has some dark spots on it.

Now, if we could just turn the blur up to about 200% or so, it would be a better glow. But, as is, it is still occasionally useful.
I guess I haven't been as dillegent as you in this manner. I have tried to find a way to make the shadow behind text, but could only find one of 8 angles.

I am currently using my SSP PC to capture from TIVO, so I cannot test this. Can you provide some pointers?

Thanks!!!

gap

osborn4
1/21/2006 4:28:33 PM
Yeah. Click in the middle, between the eight points. The shadow will disappear unless you turn the blur (or whatever that is) up.

This is in the display settings on the Shadow page.

If I try black around white text, it just looks dirty to me.

It's kinda cool to do white around black text with a black background. Not readable enough to really use, but fun to play with.

iamgap
1/21/2006 4:44:03 PM
I didn't realize that did anything. I will try it tonight.

Thanks, Oz.

gap

EDIT: I chose the center and set the blur to 100% and the intensity to 80%. It looks like it will work well. I had a mountain/lake still with yellow text and sky-blue shadow. I hope it shows up on the screen without looking out of focus.

KBlack
2/21/2006 11:37:54 AM

Hi Everyone,

I just want to thank you for telling me about this trick!  I love it! 
The blurred shadow looks so great!

The only think I'd like to improve upon is the blurred shadow from clicking on the Centre of the Direction does not stand out very much, even when I have the Intensity and the Blur up to 100%

Thanks!

~ Kirsten

osborn4
2/21/2006 11:50:37 AM
Exactly. I'd like to see it be able to go up to at least 200%, then I think it would be a lot more useful.

However, we have found plenty of uses, even as limited as it is.

wtaylor
3/9/2006 10:33:12 AM
We utilize this idea with yellow sometimes as the glow color. With a bright yellow it makes things stand out.
I too wish the glow could be increased and I don't see why it couldn't.
It is a great effect and helps in some situations to make the words easier to read.

Wayne Taylor
New Life Christian Church
Cable, OH

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙