Version 5.5 > Beta Version 7.0

sspwiz532
7/3/2005 8:51:12 AM

When the beta version for 7.0 comes out, if we install it on our projection computer, is there a good possibility that it could freeze up the computer? The reason why I asked is because we installed a beta version on it one other time and it literally messed everything up. The video didn't work and it froze up a lot. It is much stable now after we got rid of it, but I was wondering about this beta version for 7.0 Would you recommend installing it on the projection computer or wait till the real version comes out?

dreece
7/3/2005 5:38:15 PM

I don't advise using a beta version on a mission critical machine unless you feel comfortable with the possibility of everything going wrong.  That's the easy answer. 

Typically, a beta version is one where we think it’s working okay, but we’re not sure.  Sometimes there are early beta versions released with known problems.  These are also called alpha versions.  The beta versions we release for V7 will be ones that we have first stress tested ourselves in-house.

However, if you’re at all concerned, use a workstation machine for your own testing purposes.

iamgap
7/21/2005 10:38:19 AM

If a person isn't fortunate enough to go to a launch party, and they have PorModules, when will they be able to DL SSP7?

gap

dreece
7/21/2005 1:04:29 PM
It will be available for download on, or around that date. 

dreece
7/21/2005 1:16:19 PM

...barring unforseen circumstances (James 4:13-15).

Karen39
7/21/2005 1:48:33 PM
I'll definitely be praying for you all and I know God will help you.

osborn4
7/22/2005 5:00:59 PM
So, is it the full release, or the beta version that will be released at the time of the lauch party?

Karen39
7/22/2005 5:17:02 PM
This is a quote from SSP:

He he he . . .

In response to a frequently asked question of us lately: We are excited to say that we plan to make a beta version of SSP V7, Evolution #1 available by the end of the month to coincide with our launch party!! 

The features that will be available in Evolution #1 are audio file playback support, Video Chain, Background Improv, Visualizations 5, 3D animations, and the initial work on user-customizable interface options. 

Features coming soon in future evolutions of V7 will include RipFX, the P5 interface, and other exciting technologies we will soon discuss.

osborn4
7/22/2005 9:19:56 PM
Right. Hence my confusion.

Aren't Launch Parties generally held for the general release of a product?

The link to the Lanch Party specifically says:

We are launching Version 7....

Karen39
7/23/2005 6:11:26 AM
Yipes, yeah, you would think so!  For some reason though perhaps they are running behind?

dreece
7/23/2005 10:57:45 AM

Okay, you got us; we are running a bit behind.  We did discuss the possibility of rescheduling the launch party, but couldn't find a suitable weekend.  This is because the launch party needs to take place the same day of the Boise SSPlash Course event, and that can't be rescheduled this time.  However, all of the main components planned for the initial launch (Evolution #1) of V7 are complete now except for a little touch up work and testing.  Don't worry; we're not about to enter an 18-month "beta test period."   We should wrap things up in weeks, not months.

We hope to meet many of you on our SSPlash tour!

Lee
7/23/2005 6:09:27 PM
I'm anxiously looking forward to whatever is available. Actually, if the software wasn't late I'd be wonderng what is in the release (from experience, the only times we weren't late was when we didn't add anything significant)!

osborn4
7/23/2005 9:39:00 PM
I druther you put out a good solid release, than rushing to meet an artificial deadline.

I'm glad to see you taking time to do it right, launch party or not.

Call it the launch of the beta or the unveiling or something like that.

dreece
7/24/2005 3:24:17 PM

Despite the various discussions and events surrounding V7, we have never officially stated a release date.  Internally, we set target dates – and revise target dates.  I do find that if I don’t set somewhat unrealistic deadlines, I’ll keep tinkering with features, trying to make them even better, and never wrap anything up for release.

Last week, we made the difficult decision to suspend work on some of the technologies we were hoping to include in the initial launch of V7.  This decision was made so that we could get the features we have already developed out to the users now rather than later.  Fortunately, this is not a big problem since the new development philosophy behind V7 will let us add those features later…something that I will be talking more about in the near future.

Regarding the launch party…I call it, “The launch of the V7 experience!”

Lee
7/24/2005 5:36:31 PM
... But the V7 experience should rock more than the launch of the V2 (at least what the British experienced, in July 1943, by Werner Von Braun ...)

iamgap
8/1/2005 7:34:29 PM
Well Christmas has come and gone (Launch Party), and there was no present under my tree.

Any idea how much longer before 'Santa' visits my tree (beta DL)?

gap (waiting impatiently, like a child)

Karen39
8/1/2005 7:42:23 PM
I'm still waiting too . . .

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙