Version 5.5 > DVD playback

iamgap
7/4/2005 8:55:47 AM
I tried to use the DVD feature this past weekend, and it failed miserably. I had some SERIOUS hang time if I moved from one selection to another and back. When I tried to ctrl-alt-space to requeue the item, I receive a message that the item was not accessable because the device was already in use, so this resulted in a reboot to resolve. I also didn't like the transition from one to the other when it did work. I ended up using a trial of DVDRipper (fortunately the items were lest than the five minute limit) to convert them to AVI, then used Windows Movie Maker to merge them.

Is it possible to have SSP play DVD From a Folder like WinDVD will? Or better yet, the ability to pull video off of a DVD and save it to the HDD to run from there?

In the future, when we buy motion backgrounds, we will know to order them in MPeg or AVI format.

gap

Karen39
7/4/2005 11:11:27 AM
After you merged the files using windows movie maker, did you play them using Songshow Plus?  I also encountered the same error you mention when I have tried to use the DVD feature.  I believe the DVD function is supposed to work by playing the DVD from your computer which is for churches who don't have a DVD player they can use during the worship services.  A DVD player is really ideal.  Perhaps you should call tech support to discuss this with them.  Have you tried them?

As far as motion backgrounds go, that is a completely different feature and I am familiar with them.  I buy them in mpeg format as that is a much better quality than avi. 

Karen

dreece
7/4/2005 12:41:37 PM

Admittedly, the DVD Support feature needs additional work.  Some DVDs work flawlessly, while others are problematic.  Unlike CDs, DVDs can be compiled in a number of different ways.  Some have complex menu structures and others put restrictions on what actions can take place at what times, like not allowing users to fast forward through an FBI warning, etc.  Developing this module has been challenging, to say the least, and getting it to better work with all DVDs is on the to-do list. 

In any case, you are better off playing videos from a file rather than a DVD.  Even for DVDs that are completely supported by SSP, it is still a pain to use them in a performance setting.  There is spin up time to deal with, limitations on the number of DVDs you can use at any one time, and other DVD related uncertainties.  So if you can (legally) rip a DVD to a file on your hard drive, that is what I recommend you do.

iamgap
7/5/2005 11:14:24 AM
Posted By Karen39 on 07/04/2005 11:11 AM
After you merged the files using windows movie maker, did you play them using Songshow Plus?  I also encountered the same error you mention when I have tried to use the DVD feature.  I believe the DVD function is supposed to work by playing the DVD from your computer which is for churches who don't have a DVD player they can use during the worship services.  A DVD player is really ideal.  Perhaps you should call tech support to discuss this with them.  Have you tried them?

As far as motion backgrounds go, that is a completely different feature and I am familiar with them.  I buy them in mpeg format as that is a much better quality than avi. 

Karen

Yes, I "played" them as a motion background for a blank song (named blank side). My PC has a DVD-Rom drive, but it still has issues in SSP. I always try to support those who support me (ChurchMedia) so I looked on Ulead's site for something to Rip DVDs with. Ulead Video Toolbox http://www.ulead.com/vtb/runme.htm will Rip non copy-protected DVD to whatever format you choose. I tested the Trial with the default and it did a whole gig+ MPeg file without any limits that I could see. I will purchase this within 30 Days (with the Trustee's blessing I hope).

As far as format goes, I have had good luck with AVIs, and not as good luck with MPegs. MPegs tend to be a bit choppy sometimes. I haven't tried WMV yet, but I will see what give the best production.

So far, the only thing I have used DVDs for is the motion backgrounds. We do have a DVD/VCR player for long play DVDs and Video tapes.

gap

BTW Windows Movie Maker did a nice job. I just recently noticed that my system Came with Ulead 7 SE, but it wasn't installed. I will install it to see how it compares. I really would like to take some clips, and superimpose one over another. Windows Movie Maker would only let me do it as a transition.

Karen39
7/5/2005 12:23:41 PM

We use motion backgrounds each week.  The only files I ever use for them are mpegs or avis.  I didn't even know it was possibe to use a DVD as a motion background for a song.  Did you guys make the DVDs?  Which ones do you purchase that allow you to turn them into .avi files?  If you guys are making the DVDs, it would be easier to have whoever is making them make them into .avi or mpeg files.  Do you have a very speedy computer?  The reason I ask is because typically mpegs will be better than avi files.  If you don't have the correct codecs installed though that could be why mpegs won't work as well for you. 

We show DVDs almost every Sunday in church.  I have found the best way to show DVDs is through our mixer and DVD player.  I would love to be able to show DVDs through Songshow Plus, but whenever I have tried, I have had too many problems testing it so we haven't done it yet.  Not only that, but the DVD is never full screen when shown through Songshow Plus.  When I show it through our DVD player, it is full screen so that is another reason why we use our DVD player. 

Have a great day!

Karen

iamgap
7/5/2005 2:41:01 PM
Posted By Karen39 on 07/05/2005 12:23 PM

We use motion backgrounds each week.  The only files I ever use for them are mpegs or avis.  I didn't even know it was possibe to use a DVD as a motion background for a song.  Did you guys make the DVDs?  Which ones do you purchase that allow you to turn them into .avi files?  If you guys are making the DVDs, it would be easier to have whoever is making them make them into .avi or mpeg files.  Do you have a very speedy computer?  The reason I ask is because typically mpegs will be better than avi files.  If you don't have the correct codecs installed though that could be why mpegs won't work as well for you. 

We show DVDs almost every Sunday in church.  I have found the best way to show DVDs is through our mixer and DVD player.  I would love to be able to show DVDs through Songshow Plus, but whenever I have tried, I have had too many problems testing it so we haven't done it yet.  Not only that, but the DVD is never full screen when shown through Songshow Plus.  When I show it through our DVD player, it is full screen so that is another reason why we use our DVD player. 

Have a great day!

Karen

You can't use it as a motion background. What we we doing is having a patriotic theme displayed while the chior sang. The DVD came from ChristianMedia.com. The Music Director acquired it. What kills me is that she asked what format I needed it in, and I said it didn't matter. So she ordered the one that was $10 cheaper. From now on they will be in MPeg/AVI (maybe WMV)!

I used a trial of DVDRipper to convert it to AVI, but it was a bit jerky. Not enough to be noticed by the average person, but I am picky; and I know what the original looked like. I like what I was able to do with Ulead Video Toolkit last night, and I will play with it some more this week. It looks like I will purchase the unlock unless it really goes south. As i said elsewhere in this forum, Ulead will not work on copy-protected media; which is fine with me.

The MPegs that I have had trouble with are the WorshipScapes, which now come as AVIs (or maybe WMVs). I even spent quite some time on the phone with Fowler tech, and the SSP engineers. I thought it was the video card, but when I finally got a similar PC (GX270) with a different Video card and it still did it, I knew it had to be the files. It was then I noticed (after a clean re-install withmigrating data) that the latest complete install has them in a different file type. Those run smoother.

gap

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙