Version 8.4 > Reusing SlideShows via Save As causes file size increase

robertpearsonjr
5/29/2018 10:51:15 PM
The way my church normally handles updating their announcements and prayer requests is that they open the previous weeks slide show (built in SongShow) make any changes needed and then do a save as with a new name/date.  We've been doing it this way for years (literally). Within the past year I've ran into an odd problem multiple times where each week that Slide Show file gets larger and larger in file size each time I change it and do a Save As.  To the point where the announcement slide show is now over 300 Megabytes.  Our Prayer Requests slide show (which we do the same thing with) has reached a whoping 500 megabytes.  The reason I even noticed this is because SongShow started loading really slow and then I started having issues over and over again when trying to edit the slide shows and even just adding them to a new program almost made SongShow freeze for a second.  Needless to say I started getting out of memory errors quite often and this past Sunday SongShow basically just stopped wanting to let me remove/add slides within the Announcement slide show and would just freeze every time.

So -- I went through and recreated the announcement slides from scratch.  Saved the new Slideshow that I built in SongShow and it is literally about 1 Megabyte in size but has ALL the same information/graphics of the 300 Megabyte version.  Did the same thing with the Prayer Announcements and now it's under 1 Megabyte in size.  Saved the program, relaunched SongShow and loaded quick as could be and no issues editing the new slide show files I just made. 

So what gives?  Why is Song Show creating larger and larger files every time I edit an old Slideshow and then do a Save As with a new date for the new week.  That makes no sense to me at all and it consistently happens on any slide show I do this kind of weekly 'updating/re-saving' with.

Thoughts/Suggestions would be great!

akins
5/30/2018 8:51:52 AM
I handle announcements the same way with about 10 slides that have text,
images, and motions. My files are never bigger than about 50kb and don't
increase in size.

akins
5/30/2018 8:53:18 AM
PS I save updated file with the original name.

George
5/30/2018 12:51:46 PM
It is unlikely that this is occurring just by doing a "save as" operation, but rather what is done when updating the content.
The only reason that a Slide Builder file should grow to that size is if media files are embedded rather than linked/referenced.

This can happen in a few ways:

• When editing and adding/changing media, if embed is selected the slide show file size will increase.  Typically a pop up is presented when adding media unless the user has made a selection and prevented future prompts.
  • If the content is edited on more than one system, the local SSB settings may be set differently (one my link the other may embed) masking the root of the issue.
  • If the new media content is outside the correct SSP media file tree there will be another prompt (unless suppressed) that is another opportunity to embed the media.
If you check your saved slideshows and find embedded media, that is the culprit.  If you need assistance determining this you can contact support.  If they find this is something other than the embedding of files then they will escalate.

BTW - the behavior you described with the memory makes sense since all embedded media is loaded when the slideshow is added to the program (SSP has to extract the files to do this) and would consume more memory than when using only referenced files.

If you have issues that persist on this or if you need further help figuring out where the settings are that may be doing this, contact the support team.

akins
5/31/2018 8:02:24 AM
Also I don't embed anything - I have exactly the same files in the
same locations on my home workstation and church projection computer.
That way it's easy to copy programs back and forth.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙