Tips & Tricks > SSP crash on laptop

talktojason
3/28/2006 8:03:39 PM

I had the following problem with both version 5.5, and now 7, so thought I would post my problem so that others are aware.

I have a widescreen laptop, which is always set to 1280x800, a widescreen resolution.  For the longest time, I could not get SSP to load without having my screen go blank.  My computer would freeze, and the only way to recover use of the computer was to hold down the power button until the computer turned off, then turn it back on.

I couldn't use SSP at all.

However, after trying everything, including the drivers, etc. for the video card (high-end laptop video), I tried changing the resolution to a standard size (1024x768) and it worked just fine.

As widescreen monitors get more common, this is an important thing to know.  Because of the lower ceilings in our sanctuary at church, our pastors wanted to go to widescreen projectors, monitors, etc., to keep the screens higher and above everyone's head.

Hopefully this is an issue that can be resolved sometime.

Jason Brown

Rod
3/28/2006 11:50:43 PM
Posted By talktojason on 03/28/2006 8:03 PM

I have a widescreen laptop, which is always set to 1280x800, a widescreen resolution.  For the longest time, I could not get SSP to load without having my screen go blank.  My computer would freeze, and the only way to recover use of the computer was to hold down the power button until the computer turned off, then turn it back on.

I couldn't use SSP at all.

However, after trying everything, including the drivers, etc. for the video card (high-end laptop video), I tried changing the resolution to a standard size (1024x768) and it worked just fine.

As widescreen monitors get more common, this is an important thing to know.  Because of the lower ceilings in our sanctuary at church, our pastors wanted to go to widescreen projectors, monitors, etc., to keep the screens higher and above everyone's head.

Hopefully this is an issue that can be resolved sometime.

Jason Brown

Jason,

This sounds like a settings problem..
are you running the laptop in "Duel" screen mode or single??

More info on the laptop please, including the type of video card on board.

SSP will quite happily run on a widescreen laptop.. with the resolution set to wide screen for the laptop and 1024 x 760 for the projector. (are you hooking it up to a projector or monitor?? and if so what type)

This could also be a refesh rate problem..

I had the exact same problem with a friends laptop recently while tring to use an older CRT monitor for testing... but after adjusting all the settings correctly and lowering the refresh rate it worked fine..

Let us know some more info, and I am sure we can sort it out..

Rod

talktojason
4/2/2006 12:26:30 PM

Hi Rod,

My mistake, I should have clarified that this was not a projection machine (I hadn't tried to use it for projection), only as a workstation.

I've never had a projection licence installed on here, so I don't know how it would react when set up for two monitors.

The laptop is a pretty new Dell Precision M70, with the NVIDIA Quadro FX Go1400 256mb video card.

The refresh rate shouldn't matter, as it's set to 60Hz.  I could understand if I was running at a higher rate that it would cause a problem.

I would love to be able to run SSP in widescreen mode, because I'd like to make use of the extra 'real estate' that I have available.

Thanks for your help.

Karen39
4/2/2006 1:55:49 PM
When I use my laptop as a workstation, I set the monitor option to practice mode.  Have you done that?  Also, you may need to go into your video card settings and disable full screen.  My laptop is also a Dell and widescreen and works great now.

David
4/3/2006 10:34:26 AM
Actually, we have tested SSP 5.5 and 7 both on wide screen laptops and have never seen a crash related the wide screen. 

More than likely its a problem with the drivers or the video card. 

Quite a few of our users are also running in wide screen on laptops without any issue. 

Rod
4/3/2006 6:39:46 PM

Jason

I think you should make sure you have the Latest video drivers from the Manufactuer..

If your still having trouble give tech support a call..

Please post your results here..

If your still having trouble I am sure David or one of the others will step up to help you.

Support Info Minimize

Technical support is provided by
Fowler Productions: 

Phone: (800) 729-0163
(405) 321-8122
Fax: (800) 445-2845
Web: Submit a support request
Email: techsupport@fowlerinc.com 

Rod

Rod
4/3/2006 8:57:07 PM

Jason,

what's your location??

Rod

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙