Tips & Tricks > Sharing SSP database among computers using SUBST

bitbender
3/30/2006 11:08:59 AM
I have the SSP projection license on my laptop, running Windows XP Pro.  I keep the database files on my desktop server, in a shared folder in My Documents, and map that folder on my laptop as a network drive (S:, in this case).  I use Windows XP Pro feature "make available offline" to keep the desktop system (my backup) synchronized with changes I make on the laptop.
All this works fine until I try to create a program on the server and run it on the laptop, or vice versa.  Then all the links to songs point to the wrong place (My Documents\SSP on the laptop, or S:\ on the server, neither of which exist).  So I discovered the SUBST command, run from a Windows command prompt, that solves the problem.  This command allows you to make a permanent association between a local folder and a drive letter, such that the server now looks like the laptop, as far as SSP is concerned.
In a command prompt, enter this:
subst s: "c:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\ssp"
Of course, use whatever path and drive you wish.
Try it, you'll like it!

bitbender
6/5/2006 9:34:09 PM
An update:  SUBST is not persistent across sessions!  It also does not expose the correct file permissions for use in a non-administrator account on a networked machine.
A better command for use in a networked environment is:
NET USE S: "\\server\shared name" /persistent:yes
This does not go away when you restart, and carries the correct permissions.
The SUBST command still works in the server environment I described in the previous post, but it needs to be issued every time you log onto the server.

osborn4
6/6/2006 4:46:05 AM
Could you just use the UNC and point SSP to \\server\shared name ?

bitbender
6/6/2006 10:07:28 AM
Truthfully, I didn't think that would work on the server, but I just tried listing the contents of the directory using the UNC on the server itself, and it appears to recognize the path. I guess because it's a shared resource, the local system can access it just like the remote system does. When I get a chance, I'll try changing the SSP DB location and see what happens. That would make it simpler for sure if I can use the same reference everywhere.
Thanks for the tip!

Lucas
8/18/2006 3:55:03 AM
I remember that if you put the database in the same folder on a computer then on EVERY computer that you will use SSP on map a drive to that folder it will work as normal

This could also be done to sync the files automatically when connected

But this would also affect any programs that you creat at home and take to you Projection computer. They MUST all have the same directory structure.

Hope this is what you meant

Lucas

msccwi
10/13/2006 10:08:43 PM
better yet there should be an option to save all information into your program file. so that if say for instance you're at a conference and the speaker uses SSP he can just bring his program file! or the worship bands can bring songs in order in their own ssp programs!!! or if the pastors wife really really wants to show up with her laptop and show you all the cool changes she made last night to the program you agreed on friday the file can be transfered over smoothly to the projection machine in minutes...

dreece
10/14/2006 12:12:27 AM
Posted By msccwi on 10/13/2006 10:08 PM
better yet there should be an option to save all information into your program file. so that if say for instance you're at a conference and the speaker uses SSP he can just bring his program file! or the worship bands can bring songs in order in their own ssp programs!!! or if the pastors wife really really wants to show up with her laptop and show you all the cool changes she made last night to the program you agreed on friday the file can be transfered over smoothly to the projection machine in minutes...

There is: Package-to-Go

Rod
11/14/2006 10:55:34 PM
Look under "file" then "Package to go"

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙