Version 5.5 > SSP/Bible Software

iamgap
7/28/2005 5:13:19 PM
Our church has recently started using Holman Christian Standard Bible translation, but it is not an option in onlinebible. I wrote the publisher, and they said I could get the electronic version here: http://www.biblenavigator.com. Can this be interfaced with SSP, or is there another way to display the HCSB translation?

Thanks!!!

gap

osborn4
7/28/2005 8:25:31 PM
Here's the page that lists the Bible software that SSP can currently work with:
http://songshowplus.com/how-to/display_scriptures/display_scriptures.php

You'll have to take a look at those and see if there is a solution.

iamgap
7/29/2005 10:05:02 AM
Posted By osborn4 on 07/28/2005 8:25 PM
Here's the page that lists the Bible software that SSP can currently work with:
http://songshowplus.com/how-to/display_scriptures/display_scriptures.php

You'll have to take a look at those and see if there is a solution.
Thanks for the effort, but those do not offer the HCSB translation.

Anyone know how to import a translation besides creating a bunch of 'songs'? I could always spend a month doing copy/paste.  It would be nice if SSP could supprt BibleNavigator.

gap

mike
7/29/2005 12:26:52 PM
Posted By iamgap on 07/29/2005 10:05 AM

------%< - - - - - Much deleted - - - - -
  It would be nice if SSP could support BibleNavigator.

gap

Several points:

Why are the Broadman & Holman Publishers so territorial about their text (Thou shalt only use BibleNavigator software)..  It seems to me that the publishers should be more open to supporting the existing biblical software (like onlinebible).. That makes more sense than suggesting that SSP support every proprietary organization out there.

Does BibleNavigator even offer an API (Application Programming Interface) into their software?  An API is needed for an external application (in this case SSP) to reach in and get the text from the source (in this case BibleNavigator).  Without an API, SSP cannot support BibleNavigator, even if they wanted to.

It just seems to me (granted I don't have the facts) the the problem of SSP not being able to support HCSB is not SSP's problem, but Broadman & Holman's

Karen39
7/29/2005 3:19:32 PM
You're right!  A while ago I posted questions on the Online bible website asking them if they could get the Holman bible.  They told me the publishers were very protective of the copyright of it and probably would never allow that.  That is also because it is new I was told. 

iamgap
7/30/2005 9:50:21 PM
I just recently found out how to import your own Bible translation into OnlineBible. I don't know how long it will take me, but it will be done. If anyone else wants to try it, search the OnlineBible.net website for bible_exp (or blank.exp). You can then download an autoextracting file that creates a file for importing bible text. All you have to do is type/paste the verses between the code for the verse numbers.

If you have the latest version of OnlineBible (2.0), it has a tutorial in the Help menu.

gap

Karen39
7/31/2005 5:56:08 AM
Yeah, don't you have to copy and paste the whole bible?  Is that a copyright infringement?

iamgap
7/31/2005 9:15:52 AM
Posted By Karen39 on 07/31/2005 5:56 AM
Yeah, don't you have to copy and paste the whole bible?  Is that a copyright infringement?

I don't believe it is if you give reference and credit; which I do. I have also asked for them to sell me what I need, and so far, they haven't made it available. It is the only option I have until they offer an OnlineBible version for sale.

gap

Lee
8/1/2005 12:34:42 PM
Unfortunately, in the absence of explicit permission, providing reference and giving credit does not satisfy copyright laws.

Karen39
8/1/2005 12:46:46 PM
Yes, perhaps the publishers would give you permission to copy and paste it, but it would be best to at least ask him.

osborn4
8/1/2005 1:03:57 PM
I know that Zondervan has a pretty well explained policy on use of the NIV. It's in the opening pages of any NIV print bible I've seen and on thier web site.

I would hope other versions have similiar well published policies, to allow thier versions to be used, but still protect thier investmemt.

lighthouse
8/9/2005 11:16:52 AM
Signed up just to reply to your question! The Holman Standard is available in Logos Bible Software as a downloadable translation. The software is free if you do not already have it (they just want to sell books and book collections). The price is $39.95 (kind of steep, but how bad do you need it in SSP?).

More info at http://www.logos.com/

Love in Christ,
Stuart Sherrill

lighthouse
8/9/2005 11:17:57 AM

Wow,

From now on I'll have to type a little smaller!

Love in Christ,
Stuart Sherrill

Karen39
8/9/2005 12:48:39 PM
Has anybody here ever tried using the logos software with Songshow Plus?  I wonder how it integrates with online bible?

Karen

David
8/9/2005 1:50:00 PM
The Logos Bible Software integrates just like the OnlineBible softare does.  The Logos software is actually part of the Libronix package so you might better recognize it by that name.  SSP has a Libronix support ProModule that pulls the Bibles from Libronix and integrates them just like Online Bible or QuickVerse. 

Karen39
8/9/2005 1:54:28 PM
I'd love to try it because one of our Pastors uses the Holman bible, but I cannot log onto the promodule site right now.

Karen39
8/9/2005 2:10:17 PM
Can you use logos and online bible then?

David
8/9/2005 4:56:08 PM
You have to install the Libronix Promodule for the Logos (Libronix) software to work with SSP.  I'll address the pro-modules thing in the appropriate thread though so as to not thread-jack this topic. 

iamgap
8/9/2005 7:34:28 PM
Posted By lighthouse on 08/09/2005 11:16 AM
Signed up just to reply to your question! The Holman Standard is available in Logos Bible Software as a downloadable translation. The software is free if you do not already have it (they just want to sell books and book collections). The price is $39.95 (kind of steep, but how bad do you need it in SSP?).

More info at http://www.logos.com/

Love in Christ,
Stuart Sherrill
Where is this "free" version? I would rather not spend a min. of 130$ just to be able to spend another 40$ to get the translation I wanted.

gap

Karen39
8/9/2005 7:46:06 PM
Well, I downloaded the free software and it looks like you have to download the bibles separately.  So, right now I have the software and no bibles.  But, I wish there was a free bible to try because I don't want to spend extra money on a bible and then not have it work the way I want it to with Songshow Plus.  Here is a link to the downloads.  You have to download both of these files.

http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/ldls/newuser

iamgap
8/9/2005 9:40:08 PM
Posted By Karen39 on 08/09/2005 7:46 PM
Well, I downloaded the free software and it looks like you have to download the bibles separately.  So, right now I have the software and no bibles.  But, I wish there was a free bible to try because I don't want to spend extra money on a bible and then not have it work the way I want it to with Songshow Plus.  Here is a link to the downloads.  You have to download both of these files.

http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/ldls/newuser

Thanks!!!. The never give up side of me had found this already, and I also found a free download for it. http://www.galaxie.com/store/category.asp?CategoryID=16&ParentID=0
The only problem is that it is not a bible, so SSP doesn't list it as an option. It would be nice if a "Public Domain" translation was available for a free download. As it stands now, I don't want to buy a translation that I am not sure will show up in SSP.

gap

Karen39
8/10/2005 5:40:59 AM
That's exactly how I feel.  I don't want to spend $40.00 just to try this.  You would think they could have a trial version even so we can see how it works.

mike
8/10/2005 7:50:24 AM

On the SSP website, they list among the features:

Display Scripture from the Databases of Logos Series X®,
         Online Bible and Parson's QuickVerse®*

If the Logos software that you downloaded is Series X, there is no reason to assume it will not work.  Of course, when in doubt call tech support.  

If you do, please post your reply here.

Mike

David
8/10/2005 12:52:37 PM
The SSP Promodule works just fine with that version of the Libronix software and downloaded Bibles. 

I have downloaded it, put a couple of Bibles into it, and used our ProModule with it just to make sure.  Rest easy, it works fine. 

Due to some quirks with how Libronix has set up their bibles sometimes it looks a little different though.  For example, in the Libronix NAS bible, sometimes they combine verses into one long verse.  Leviticus 1:1-5 is actually not displayed  as verse 1, verse 2 etc....  It's actually 1-5  Because Libronix doesn't break the verses out, SSP can't either.  It will display all of those verses as one.  I think that makes sense. 

iamgap
4/29/2006 7:54:39 AM
GREAT NEWS!!!!

I just went to www.online-bible.com for the first time in a while and found this:

The English CD (disc 1) contains more than 30 English Bible versions including the New King James Version, The Message, The Holman Christian Standard Version, God's Word to the Nations and The English Standard Version.

You can also DL just the HCSB and purchase the unlock for 5$ US.

dv
5/4/2006 4:56:57 AM
Karen - I own both and have tried them both on my old laptop (p4M 2.2 512MB and limited graphics)
My experience was that Online Bible responded faster than the Libronix Bibles I oned so I removed the ProMOdule and stuck with Online Bible. Let me know what you think. When I get my new Laptop (tomorrow or the next day) I will try it again under SSP7
CHeers, David

akins
5/25/2006 7:09:13 AM
I happen to use QuickVerse and have a copy that has NIV. I just noticed that they have a sale on their 2005 products and, for example, the "standard" version is going for $25. That's a great price for what you get: 12 Bible translations (not including NIV, but with The Message and God Word) and lots of other stuff.  I use their copy of Draper's quotations almost every week for bulletin fillers. If you go to their web page, they have a comparison chart of all their products which will give a quick view of what's available.

No, I don't own stock in QuickVerse --- just thought some might find this useful for the price.

Dick

Karen39
5/26/2006 6:19:32 AM
Does Quickverse works well with SSP?  I ended up uninstalling the promodule for Libronix and we only use Online Bible now which we really, really like.

osborn4
5/26/2006 7:20:53 AM
Posted By Karen39 on 05/26/2006 6:19 AM
Does Quickverse works well with SSP?  I ended up uninstalling the promodule for Libronix and we only use Online Bible now which we really, really like.
I've never heard anything bad about the QuickVerse integration, for what that's worth.

akins
5/26/2006 8:02:56 AM
Karen - I have vs. 7 & 8 of QuickVerse and both work well with SSP and both have NIV. I suspect newer versions will also work, but don't know how a person could get NIV -- maybe they would let you have an older database. At one time I was trying to get The Message (before they had it as part of the standard package) and they let me purchase it as an add on, which I still have and it works with any version. I'm sure the SSP guru's can tell you which version will work.

Dick

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙