Version 5.5 > Out of Video Memory

twj
8/1/2005 7:23:06 PM
I know this was talked about a lot on the old forum but it doesn't seem to be there any more. 

We want to run our announcement slide show all day on our lobby televisions.  It works for about 2 hours then the Out of Video Memory alert shows up.  If nothing is done animations and transitions will randomly stop working.  Eventually the show will lock up forcing a re-boot to get control back.

Is this because of our wimpy video card?  Or do I need to look elsewhere?  I have been talking to Pastor about upgrading the video card.  It will be a lot easier to get one if I can convince him this will fix the problem.

SSP ver.  5.5.5.3.4
2.8 mHz Pentium 4 (hyper threading off)
512 Meg ram
FX 5200 128 meg video card

iamgap
8/3/2005 3:26:27 PM
Posted By twj on 08/01/2005 7:23 PM
I know this was talked about a lot on the old forum but it doesn't seem to be there any more. 

We want to run our announcement slide show all day on our lobby televisions.  It works for about 2 hours then the Out of Video Memory alert shows up.  If nothing is done animations and transitions will randomly stop working.  Eventually the show will lock up forcing a re-boot to get control back.

Is this because of our wimpy video card?  Or do I need to look elsewhere?  I have been talking to Pastor about upgrading the video card.  It will be a lot easier to get one if I can convince him this will fix the problem.

SSP ver.  5.5.5.3.4
2.8 mHz Pentium 4 (hyper threading off)
512 Meg ram
FX 5200 128 meg video card

twj,

I haven't had this error in quite some time, but I have never had to run a slideshow longer than an hour. I used to get that error in an older version of SSP when I would make multiple changes to a running Slideshow.

Has anyone at either Fowler or R-Technics contacted you regarding this post? Have to called them?

Technical support is provided by Fowler Productions: 

Phone: (800) 729-0163 or (405) 321-8122
Fax: (800) 445-2845
Web:       http://fowlerinc.com/service/tech_support.php
Email: techsupport@fowlerinc.com 

I hope this helps.

gap

twj
8/3/2005 4:18:46 PM
I sent rtechnics a copy of one of our slide shows today.  One of their developers is interested in the problem.  Hopefully they'll find something.

Lee
8/4/2005 6:37:49 AM
Please post any results you may hear ... we also run our 80-100 slide for a period of time, and I know others do, too. I'm not aware of a memory leakage problem, but then, we will probably be increasing its size once ver 7 comes out with audio, and we'd like to know what is OK and what to avoid.

Our video cards are ATI brand, ATI Radeon 9800XT and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256's.

acdcfinancial
8/6/2005 12:57:24 AM
Hi.  We've found that it's a Memory Leak, and have submitted the problem to the SSP Programming Team via Fowler's Tech Support.   (By the way, we have 1 GB of RAM and still have the problem -- can't remember our Video Card data at the moment, though.)  One of our people thinks it MAY be due to a Direct-X or Windows fault.   Will advise when we get a response.
Dave

twj
8/11/2005 5:40:05 PM

I think we got he problem fixed.  We have MSI video cards.  When tech support asked me to check my driver I went to the MSI web site and down loaded what looked like a newer driver.  The video card wouldn't work at all so I went back.  Then I went to the Nvidia web site and installed their latest driver that was recently upgraded for their newest card.  I have now been running the same slide show for over 2 DAYS (not hours) without a glitch.

Then I had to reinstall Windows Media Player 10 to get any video to play in SSP.

The only problem I'm having now is if I try to play a video through Windows Media Player the picture looks washed out.  But it works fine in SSP and PP and that is what matters most to me know.

This was a lot of explaining but since others have had a similar problem I thought it might be helpful to let everyone in on what it took to get it fixed here.

dreece
8/12/2005 11:42:30 AM
Thanks for the info.  Very interesting.

David
8/12/2005 1:35:53 PM
For everyone's information I'd like to suggest that you download your video card drivers directly from ATI or NVidia unless you're on a laptop.

Laptops use special video "cards" that require specific drivers to be created by the vendor of the laptop.  Standard video cards for PC's do not suffer from this however.  This means that in most cases the best place to get your video drivers will be straight from ATI or NVidia.  They're drivers are usually updated more often and tend to work better. 

I am glad we got this problem solved.  I'm just sorry we couldn't come up with an excuse to buy a nicer card.  I did try though. 

twj
8/20/2005 6:26:32 PM
I'm not sure the problem is completely solved but it is much better.  After about a week of continuous running my page file usage was up near maximum.  No other program could start and SSP refused to shut down.  Turning off the power supply and restarting the system was the only solution.  I am not complaining though.  Rebooting once or twice a week is much better than every 2 hours.  Just wanted to bring everyone up to date.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙