Version 5.5 > Database on server??

QwertyJuan
8/3/2005 8:12:35 PM
Is there something I can read somewhere that will tell me how to do this?? As of right now, everytime we want to edit the database we have to go nextdoor... I was told I could install the program on another machine and access the database from a server without having to go back to the songshow computer everytime. I have a Win2k network running right now....

Any info would be appreciated.

QJ

Karen39
8/3/2005 8:25:22 PM
Yes, there is a way to do this.  Have you called tech support?  Here is their information, they are very helpful! 

Technical support is provided by Fowler Productions: 

Phone: (800) 729-0163 or (405) 321-8122
Fax: (800) 445-2845
Web: Submit a support request
Email: techsupport@fowlerinc.com 

iamgap
8/3/2005 8:40:52 PM
Posted By QwertyJuan on 08/03/2005 8:12 PM
Is there something I can read somewhere that will tell me how to do this?? As of right now, everytime we want to edit the database we have to go nextdoor... I was told I could install the program on another machine and access the database from a server without having to go back to the songshow computer everytime. I have a Win2k network running right now....

Any info would be appreciated.

QJ
I believe it is in the Tools menu.
Click Tools>Song Database Sources
from there, I believe you can tell SSP where to look for the song database.

If that doesn't help, there's always tech support.

gap

Lee
8/4/2005 7:11:56 AM
I keep the SongSelect and SongShow song databases on a server (they are not on any of the client machines). Actually, the entire directory hierarchy that SSP is hardwired to expect is on that server i.e., .../R-Technics/SongShow Plus/... with its Images, Media Files, Programs, Slide Shows, etc. under it). What is especially useful is the image files are also on servers, though not the same one (I don't use SSP's Images directory). We have maybe 200GB of them and growing, making it impractical to put on local machines.

We do all planning and preparation on workstations that can access this server. The projection SSP computer accesses it also; in other words, it doesn't have the song databases either.

All you do is set the path to the databases from within SSP on each machine that needs access. The path can be set from Tools - Utilities - Data Files Setup. A dialog box pops up showing you the current path, which is likely to be on the local C: drive. Click Next, then check "C ... Select this option if you need to attach to a network server" and click Next. At this point you can type in the path, or preferably Browse to it, and click OK.

Make sure you do this on all of the SSP machines. Once done you never have to copy songs, slide shows, image files, or programs from machine to machine.

If you use SongSelect (I installed mine on the server right under SongShow Plus), you have to establish a drive mapping to the networked copy of SongSelect 3.0. On my machines it is the only one, so it is drive z:/. Then from SongSelect Tools - Options, a dialog box pops up. Click on the Advanced Options tab. Set the Database path to z:\ and the Song List path to z:\song lists (the remaining one doesn't matter).

Once done, I have found it useful to delete all local copies of these directories, because sometimes when I reinstall and forget to set the path back to the server, SSP goes to the local machine and does things that confuses me. By removing local copies it becomes much easier to figure out.

If you use OnLine Bible, I couldn't figure out any way to network it, so I maintain a copy on each machine. I have discovered that when you enter references to particular verses into a program on a workstation, the same references work correctly on the projection machine - apparently OnLine Bible indexes references identically on all machines, so it works correctly. (But I wish they would change their program to allow networking).

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙