Version 8.4 > Medleys

rkresge
3/21/2019 5:03:54 PM
This subject came up like 10 years ago under SSP 7. It did not seem to have a satisfactory or simple answer at the time. 

We do fairly frequent medleys. Is there any way to build a medley from the components of individual songs? One reason this challenges me is that we use separate video backgrounds for each song, and I would like to maintain those while building the medleys.

Thanks,

Roger

osborn4
3/21/2019 9:13:50 PM
You could assign a background to the songs in the song database under Default slide properties, rather than in the program item..

Then add the songs as needed using verse order on each program item to get the lyrics up.

e.g.
Song 1 (v1, v2, c)
Song 2 (v1, c)
Song 1 (c)
Song 2 (b,c)
Sone 1 (c)

rkresge
3/23/2019 7:48:45 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Joel. Not sure it will accomplish what I would like to do.

I left something out. It always frustrates me that I need to start all over again when we do any particular medley. What I would really like, and don't see as a capability, would be to build the sequence of songs and save that sequence as if it were a song.

It can be frustrating, but our worship leader rarely does these medleys the same way with the same verse sequences. If the songs were packaged together, but still as separate items within the package, then I could adjust the verse sequences within each song each time we do it. And the video backgrounds would stay with the songs.

Again, thanks! Still looking for ideas. It also seems odd to me that this has never been seen as a needed feature.

Roger

akins
3/23/2019 9:13:10 AM
Couldn't you just build a special song which is the medley? After all,
the song editor doesn't if you're putting the the lyrics from one or
more songs. As long as all the "parts" are there, you can present them
in any way you want.

Maybe I missed the point!

rkresge
3/23/2019 4:48:38 PM
Posted By Dick Akins on 23 Mar 2019 09:13 AM
Couldn't you just build a special song which is the medley? After all,
the song editor doesn't if you're putting the the lyrics from one or
more songs. As long as all the "parts" are there, you can present them
in any way you want.

Maybe I missed the point!

I may have to go that route, but each of our songs has its own unique graphical background. I suspect there's no way to maintain that with this method. But it might work until something better comes along.

My preference would be a tool that allows us to take the medley songs as they are now in SSP, and then put them into a single container of some kind. Your method would work as long as I'm ok with having the same background throughout, I think.

Thanks,

Roger

George
3/25/2019 7:45:28 AM
Roger.

Comparing this request to the existing tools in SongShow Plus, it sounds like what you are asking for would be similar to a Song Chain.  This is an interesting idea.

In the meantime, if you are considering constructing a purpose-built object for this medley and want to be able to apply different backgrounds, my suggestion would be to go the slideshow route.
You can currently export any song as a slideshow to get the building blocks you need and then you can combine/include the specific song parts (now slides) as you see fit.  The slideshow construction allows you to set any background you choose to each slide.  I suggest using the slideshow themes to create and apply the desired background to the related song parts.

Another route you could go is to create a program specifically for the medley songs.  This would contain all the songs and backgrounds that you wanted and allow you to set the verse order as needed.  Then you can use the program merge function to blend this with your full program.  Having this as a separate program would allow you to adjust as necessary then re-merge to use again later in a different full program.

If you need more detailed tips on this you can contact the support team for help.

osborn4
3/26/2019 8:21:20 PM
I was just thinking of the slideshow route. You could create a seperate slide show for each song in the medley, preserving the unique backgrounds, and then create a medly slide show by merging the two and then arraging the slides/verses as needed.

rkresge
5/9/2019 12:34:41 PM
Some interesting ideas here. Sorry to take so long to return to this thread. The slideshow route probably does not provide the flexibility I'm looking for, but George's idea of using the Program Merge function might just do.

Thanks!

Roger

akins
5/15/2019 8:53:47 AM
I have build a few songs using slideshow. It works fine and your can use different
backgrounds with whatever effects you would like. You can play the slideshow
any way you like; e.g., playing a chorus twice, going back to a verse, etc. I use
this for songs (like "How Great Thou Art") that we sing periodically and which have
verses which lend themselves to widely different backgrounds. You could even have
the same verse (named 1a, b, ..) with different backgrounds.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙