Tips & Tricks > Sound Issues

smattson
6/23/2006 3:20:59 PM

Ok so a couple of things:

1) Does anyone have any tips for connecting the computer audio outputs to the main sound mixer board?  Currently I have a 1/8" jack from the computer adapted to 1/4" cable that runs to the back of the mixer board controlling the main sound system.  However, when I play music it is quiet and sounds like it is coming through a straw.  Adjusting the slider any more than halfway creates feedback.  I get a better sound when I turn the slider all the way down and the trim all the way up but the sound quality dips from bad to "just turn it off."  There has got to be a more efficient way to get a higher sound quality. I thought of maybe using a preamp between the computer sound card and mixer board. 

2) Any tips on recording services straight to the computer?  I am using the CreativeMedia software that came with the computer but this is EXTREMELY limited in that you can really adjust sound quality or create tracks.

Ideas, thoughts, comments, concerns, snide remarks?

Stephen

iamgap
6/23/2006 4:43:38 PM

I run and 1/8" to RCA splitter, and then convert the RCAs to 1/4" stereo to mono adaptor. This eliminates the cross-over interference you are getting.

I haven't put it in place, but I have a 900MHz PC at home with a USB audio input device that came with LP Ripper and it's splitting counterpart that I cannot remember at this time. It does a decent job with my cheep radio shack mixer of recording from cassettes and LPs. I just record a side at a time, and then split it into songs and remove dead air. Hopefully I can use it for service recordiing.

twj
6/23/2006 5:30:52 PM
Make sure you use the line input to the computer and not the microphone input. The mic input will overload and distort too easily.

osborn4
6/23/2006 8:48:03 PM
We were getting a ground hum when we attached the sound from our PC to the soundboard, so now we split the stereo out into 2 mono 1/4" plugs and plug them into a stereo Direct Box (a.k.a a DI box). You could use 2 seperate DI boxes as well. Then from the DI box to 2 channels on the sound board using XLR (microphone) cables.

markrief
6/23/2006 8:52:54 PM

I tried several cable combinations, but always got a hum, on the line. Finally, I bought a box called a "Cleanbox 2 channel balancing converter". $49 from from BSW. There is still a slight hum, but hardly noticible. It also has volume controls.
Mark

ashokbruno
6/25/2006 4:22:36 AM
We've had the hum issue with conencting the PC to the sound board. I was able to eliminate it with a product from Radioshack that seemed to do the job. Here is the link... http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214

ashokbruno
6/25/2006 4:26:00 AM
On recording to the PC, I use a software called FX Audio Tools, which does a good job of recording directly to MP3. I use this so that it is easier for the sound booth operator to do a recording without spending too much time explaining the software. I also use a software called NGWave to edit the MP3 if necessary.

smattson
6/27/2006 1:51:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them out and see which work for our equipment.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙