Version 5.5 > .mov files

osborn4
8/11/2005 10:25:01 AM
Is there a way I can play .mov files through SSP?

We can play them in Quick Time, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Is there a codec or something, I can download and make this work?

Or will I need to convert them?

Karen39
8/11/2005 11:23:32 AM
If you go under import videos from and then click down, one of the options is "supported file types".  There you will see listed the kind of videos SSP can play.  .Mov files is not one of them.  I wish it was though!  It seems like whenever somebody wants to give me a video file for the computer it is a .mov because most people create videos using Mac computers.  I have had some success with converting .mov files into .avi files, but the quality has suffered.  Thus, we really only try to play movie files through our DVD player unless they're backgrounds.  Perhaps this should be submitted as a wish?

osborn4
8/11/2005 2:57:26 PM
As I understand it, if it will play in Windows Media Player, SSP will play it. I don't know of a .mov codec (or whatever) that will allow .mov files to be played from WMP.

I have a little piece of freeware called mov2avi.exe that I have used in the past to convert .mov files to .avi 

However, this time, I'm just getting an error when it tries to run. I don't know if it has to do with the size of the file, or what.

Perhaps some research is in order.

Karen39
8/11/2005 3:30:41 PM
I'm pretty sure .mov files won't play in wmp because they're for a MAC computer.  Quicktime is the MAC player.  You'd have to convert them to a file wmp likes. 

Lee
8/12/2005 8:38:00 AM
mov files can be played on a PC, but yes, Apple invented the format. A long time ago R-Technics said they would look into it for SSP. Apparently there is something different about mov files, or maybe it is royalties. One thing I am sure, it is not simply a "codec"; I think I heard the entire file format is unique and has to be developed separately.

The other day I was downloading some new video files where the seller gives you a choice of formats. I noticed that the mov files were extremely large compared to either avi or mpg! I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

dreece
8/12/2005 11:41:16 AM

We have looked at this in a number of ways and, so far, have not found a solution that is stable or, shall I say, legal.  (There is at least one "free" QuickTime DirectShow filter floating around out there, but my understanding is that it contains copyrighted compents of the QuickTime player -- therefore, I can't recommend using it -- and getting it to work correctly in WMP and SSP requires manual edits to the registry).  The new Windows media formats provide great playback quality with much smaller file sizes.  I recommend converting MOV files to these formats.

midnightcry
8/19/2005 7:46:24 AM

I purchased a very simple program called Alive Video Converter --

www.alivemedia.net

It will convert just about any video format to another format very easily and I've never had problems playing them on SSPlus. Any .mov files I have downloaded or purchased I've been able to convert to .mpeg, .avi, .wmv --might be of use for you.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙