Version 5.5 > Video playback error

Blairness
8/17/2005 6:55:35 AM
When I try to use any type of video in SSP (BTW what is SSB?), the primary monitor goes black and the video on the second monitor is extremely messed up . I thought I might have fried our capture card by using a live signal from a VCR (VCR's tend to have dodgy sync). But after using a video clip off the HDD of the computer and finding the same problem, I know it musn't be the capture card.
The only way I can stop it once it has started is by pressing "+" so that SSP moves to the next item in the program. As soon as it has moved on to the next item the computer goes back to normal.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks,
Blair

mmax
8/17/2005 7:56:01 AM
Just as a test, turn off the high-end graphics features by going to Display>Change Monitor Options>Graphics, take the check mark off of Enable high-end graphics (if it isn't already), then see if a video will play.  You mentioned that you have a capture card on this system, what card is it?

mike
8/17/2005 8:05:46 AM
SSB is "Slide Show Builder".    Many of us spend more time using it than running SSP proper.

iamgap
8/17/2005 9:21:41 AM
Posted By Blairness on 08/17/2005 6:55 AM

(SNIP)

But after using a video clip off the HDD of the computer and finding the same problem, I know it musn't be the capture card.

(SNIP)

Thanks,
Blair
If the problem exists when you try to open the file from the HDD (without SSP), then it is a software or HDWR issue with your PC. SSP doesn't make stuff work; it takes what does work and combines it into an easy to use interface that produces professional looking video.

gap

Blairness
8/18/2005 6:52:39 AM
Posted By iamgap on 08/17/2005 9:21 AM
Posted By Blairness on 08/17/2005 6:55 AM

(SNIP)

But after using a video clip off the HDD of the computer and finding the same problem, I know it musn't be the capture card.

(SNIP)

Thanks,
Blair
If the problem exists when you try to open the file from the HDD (without SSP), then it is a software or HDWR issue with your PC. SSP doesn't make stuff work; it takes what does work and combines it into an easy to use interface that produces professional looking video.

gap

Thanks for the reply.
Sorry, I meant from within SSP when I play a video file off the HDD.

mmax: thanks for the reply. I will see if that fixes the problem.
I'm not sure what capture card we have, just a cheap one I think (it has: composite video in; S-video in; FM aerial in; RF in; IR reciever for remote in and; audio out).

mike: thanks also for the reply. I'll have to have a play around with that, it's part of SSP right?

Lee
8/18/2005 9:21:59 AM
Posted By mike on 08/17/2005 8:05 AM
SSB is "Slide Show Builder".    Many of us spend more time using it than running SSP proper.
Posted By Blairness on 08/18/2005 6:52 AM
... I'll have to have a play around with that, it's part of SSP right?

I'm in Mike's category. SSP is used during our Sunday services for songs, etc., and takes only a few minutes to put together.

SSB, a separate application that this included with SongShow Plus, is used to make pre-service promotionals. SSB was originally created as a "Slide Show" tool (thus its name), but now days I try to make the resulting show as video-looking as possible (should it be renamed VSB?); my results are emphatically crude but nevetheless superior to static slides with moving text. It requires time, creativity, and a library of video-clips. This show is run for maybe 2 hours throughout the building and about 1/2 hour preservice in the sanctuary.

Currently SSB doesn't honor the audio of video clips (actually, SSB 5.5 considers video clips only as Motion Backgrounds), but it is my understanding V7 will add the audio capability. Note that SSP currently plays audio of clips inserted directly into it, but not when inserted via SSB.

Once you are finished building a SSB show, you incorporate it into your SSP prgram similarly to a song or scripture.

rpope
8/18/2005 12:20:28 PM
Im going to hijack this thread and take us back to the problem...

If what Matt said did not work there is another issue that could be the cause.  Based on the info you gave Blair it sounds like an issue we saw with some video card drivers.  Most call it Video Mirror or full screen mode.  Its designed to do cool things on dual monitor systems with software not designed for dual monitor.  It just causes problems for SSP.

I have only seen this on nVidia cards.

Close SongShow Plus
Right click the desktop
Choose Properties
Choose the Settings tab
Click Advanced
Click on the tab that has your video card listed on it (mine says "GeForce FX 5600")
Select "Full Screen Video"
Under the option Full Screen Device" select "Disable".

Yours may look a little different depending on the driver version.

Hope that helps

Ricky

Blairness
8/19/2005 5:28:34 AM
Posted By rpope on 08/18/2005 12:20 PM
Im going to hijack this thread and take us back to the problem...

If what Matt said did not work there is another issue that could be the cause.  Based on the info you gave Blair it sounds like an issue we saw with some video card drivers.  Most call it Video Mirror or full screen mode.  Its designed to do cool things on dual monitor systems with software not designed for dual monitor.  It just causes problems for SSP.

I have only seen this on nVidia cards.

Close SongShow Plus
Right click the desktop
Choose Properties
Choose the Settings tab
Click Advanced
Click on the tab that has your video card listed on it (mine says "GeForce FX 5600")
Select "Full Screen Video"
Under the option Full Screen Device" select "Disable".

Yours may look a little different depending on the driver version.

Hope that helps

Ricky
Yip, we have an NVidia something, so that is probably the first thing I will try.

Thanks

osborn4
8/19/2005 6:32:10 AM
As a PC support person, I can tell you that one of the biggest challenges with dual screen setups with WinXP is using some sort of 3rd party application to try to help XP out.

We have users migrating (finally!) from WinNT to WinXP. Not knowing any better, they reload thier screen management tool that they needed under NT, and then I get a call that they are having trouble.

The fix is to disable that screen manager. One of the big improbements of WinXP is it's dual screen capability. Having used dual screen unter NT and Win2000, I think WinXP does an incredible job of doing the dual screen thing.

Blairness
8/21/2005 12:09:00 AM
Posted By osborn4 on 08/19/2005 6:32 AM
As a PC support person, I can tell you that one of the biggest challenges with dual screen setups with WinXP is using some sort of 3rd party application to try to help XP out.

We have users migrating (finally!) from WinNT to WinXP. Not knowing any better, they reload thier screen management tool that they needed under NT, and then I get a call that they are having trouble.

The fix is to disable that screen manager. One of the big improbements of WinXP is it's dual screen capability. Having used dual screen unter NT and Win2000, I think WinXP does an incredible job of doing the dual screen thing.

Thanks for your knowledgeable insight. I am probably on the same level as those "users" you talk about, so if you can bear with me it will be much appreciated.

How would I go about disabling the "screen manager"? Is that: the whole software that NVidia provides; just some of it's settings; or something else?

Thanks again. I look forward to your reply,
Blair

osborn4
8/22/2005 8:04:04 AM
I'm not real familiar with the nVidia software. A good place to start would probably be Ricky's post above about diabling the full screen device.

Blairness
8/28/2005 5:11:01 AM
Well, I "disabled" the "full screen device" thing and voila, that problem was gone! Just to make sure, I "enabled" it again and voila, the problem appeared again. Great . Got that sorted.

BUT (there's always a but ) the reason the "full screen device" thing was enabled, was so that Windows Media Player (outside of SSP) would work properly (well I think it worked properly some of the time!) on dual screen, for a group that use only WMP on Tuesdays. So now I have to figure out how to get WMP to work properly without enabling the "full screen device" thing .

Am I missing something here, or is SSP more compatible with Microsoft's operating system, than Microsoft's own media player !?

osborn4
8/28/2005 10:52:47 PM
That is certainiy the way the way it looks. 

Perhaps you can teach the other group to use SSP rather than WIMP. If WPM can play it, SSP can show it. And w/o the controls being projected up on the screen.  

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙