Tips & Tricks > Video transitions between multiple sources

jc@colburns.net
8/2/2006 10:27:05 PM
We are looking for a video mixer to handle transitions between DVDs and SongShow projection. Are any of you using anything like the Kramer VP-719xl (or any other video mixer?)? As always, TIA!

Blairness
8/2/2006 11:15:48 PM
Hi there,

If DVD's are all you are wanting to put on the big screen in the way of video stuff, then you don't need a video mixer, because DVD's can be played through SSP! (so long as you have a DVD player in your computer that is).

Lee
8/3/2006 6:03:52 AM
It does sound like over kill ($1150?) for such a limited single-purpose use, unless, of course, you actually have other future uses in mind. The value of the 719XL is in its scaling and formatting capabilities rather than its simplistic switching transition (fade thru black), but the post doesn't mention wanting it for scaling/formatting reasons.

If you can't do Blairness' suggestion for one reason or another, most likely your projector will itself transition from one input to another. Only if you really want to do the kind of things the 719 is good at, is it a good product to choose.

jc@colburns.net
8/3/2006 9:18:30 AM
I do have a DVD player in the PC, but have run into some difficulties. When going from DVD clip, to DVD clip, to slide, to DVD clip (as we are wanting to do) I have had to have the DVD in the drive for it to play. Also, we used part of a movie clip (Napoleon Dynamite) during the sermon a few weeks ago, but the DVD has restrictions on advancing to specific positions. How do you get around this? If I'm better off spending the $900 on the PC, I'm okay with that ;-)

Blairness
8/3/2006 10:23:43 PM
Oh, I can see how that could be a problem (You'll have trouble playing two DVD's one straight after the other no matter how you do it, unless you have 2 DVD players). You could try what Lee said and try switching on the projector. OR...

If your computer allows video input you could connect your standalone DVD player's output to that, and then use the live video pro module in SSP. That will allow you to do transitions between songs or whatever and the DVD. The only issue with that might be synching up the audio, because live video through SSP does lag slightly (I'm not sure if you can run audio through SSP with the live video and have SSP delay that as well so they are both in synch at output). If you were wanting to go straight from one DVD clip to another, you could have one DVD in the computer as well, then transition from live video to DVD in SSP (I think SSP can do that!?).

Or if it is legal (?), you could just rip the DVD's to a video file and play them through SSP that way.

telledge
9/22/2007 10:16:25 PM
Or what else you can do, there are USB connectors out there that have s-video and RGB connectors in an exterior unit. To get the audio to lag with the computer, use the S-Video output (that takes the video AND audio together in one cable) and run the video from that. use the cue to get to the right spot. Maybe that would work. And the connector is like $100. (beats adding a zero to that number anyday!)

Rod
9/23/2007 4:55:20 AM
we do run a scaler switcher,
with 2 Comp inputs and 2 s/video inputs and 2 VGA inputs.
I run 2 video players on comp. 2 DVD players on the Svid and Main pc on VGA and upscale everything to match the computer.

This allows us to run multiple dvd's one after the other.
However,
we rip nearly all our clips now and prefer to fire them straight from SSP.
so much easier.

Rod

SFCCAV
10/23/2007 10:55:50 PM

What format do you use when you rip your clips.  We've been unhappy with the quality in most everything we've tried except mp4 which ssp won't recognize.

SFCCAV

koop4us
1/17/2009 2:43:01 PM
We have purchased an Eiderol V4 mixer to do most of our transition...

Although this unit is limited in terms of inputs (Svid and Composite only) it has worked extremely well.  We patch our digital camera and main SSP feed into the Svid side.  Using a chroma key or luminance key mix we can easily overlay text and video.  In addition, we can run our DVD into the composite input and easily transition ,with a fader bar (!), between input sources.  Also, the black out feature has proved very helpful.  Nothing is more frustrating for the Visual Tech operator when you don't know if your are displaying a blank slide or if you put the projectors into a pic mute setting.  The black out allows you to know exactly what is going on, not to mention that the pic mute can be such a harsh cut transition.

Just started looking at the V8... little pricey at over $2000.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙