Tips & Tricks > Dream system

Jkelley
8/12/2006 6:47:39 PM

I would like to pick all of your brains here if I may.
We have a turnkey system we bought about three years ago and we are really happy with it. I want to move this system to our Youth worship facility because they are using nothing but powerpoint for their worship services on Wednesday nights. In order to do that of course we would need to purchase a new computer for our main worship facility. I know the specs to run SSP V7 and I know this computer surpasses them quite nicely especially since I did some recent upgrades. I want to know what you guy's dream machine would be if faced with making this decision for your own churches and what features I should consider for the future. We are a medium sized church on a tight budget but I don't want to sacrifice quality.

Thanks!

iamgap
8/13/2006 8:46:27 AM

R-Technics does produce systems designed to SSP that are about the same as what you would spend for a Dell system, but without all the junk software. You might give them shot. I know the last time I newegged a system, it would be more than the balpark price R-Technics gave me.

As far as what I would use, it would be a 2.8-3.2 single core w/ as much L1 and L2 cache as I could find, 4GB of the fasted RAM available (or I could afford), 2 160GB SATA HDDs that are Striped RAID, two DVD-R+/RW with WinDVD 4 or 6 and Nero Burning Rom, The best NVidia card I could afford, and MS Office 2003 that includes Excel and PPT.

twj
8/13/2006 7:52:00 PM
I would consider putting the new PC in the youth center as they are more likely to use the high end graphics that require all that processing power. Once they learn what it can do for them, that is.

Jkelley
8/14/2006 12:58:18 PM

Thanks for the advice Tom. You would think that would be the case but the Youth only have one service per week in the youth hall. They have a song service with about four or five praise songs and watch a great video lesson on DVD called FUEL. The song lyrics are projected using powerpoint and an ancient computer. The "business" is shown on the screen between songs. I want to get them SSP in a bad way. The computer that we now have will do whatever they could possibly need for that small service. I actually have a pretty good graphics card ATI X700 installed in it. The youth now days just don't seem to be as impressed with cool high end graphics as much as the young (or in my case maybe not so young) adults. It is something they grew up with and just take for granted. 

Our regular services are far from contemporary. I guess you could call them blended with a slight touch of Southern Gospel. Believe it or not though the graphics I have put out there have gotten nothing but positive feedback. I frequently use worshipfilm.com's long plays for songs, and Digital Juice jumpbacks. Another reason I would like the high end computer in the main sanctuary is because our media room is a great work place and I will be able to work on other media arts utilizing the same system.

I know there is someone out there who has put together a dream system. Share the specs please. 

Jkelley
8/27/2006 2:57:50 PM

Will this do? I would like some input from people who know about what we do before I take a proposal to the finance committee and the church.

Dell Precision 690

Operating System

Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2, No Media

Dell Precision Workstation 690 (750W - 32bit) Dual Core Intel® Xeon® Processor 5080 3.73GHz, 2 X 2MB L2, 1066

Memory

2GB, DDR2 SDRAM FBD Memory, 533MHz, ECC (4 DIMMS)

Monitors

2 - Dell 17 inch UltraSharp™ 1707FP Flat Panel, adjustable stand, VGA/DVI

Graphic Cards

256MB PCIe x16 ATI FireGL V7200, Dual DVI or Dual VGA or DVI + VGA

Hard Drive Configuration

C4 All SATA drives, RAID 0, 2 drive total configuration

Hard Drive Internal Controller Option SATA/SAS Integrated Card - For Connecting Internal Hard Drives

Boot Hard Drive

160GB SATA 3.0Gb/s,7200 RPM Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst Cache™

2nd Hard Drive

160GB SATA 3.0Gb/s,7200 RPM Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst Cache™

CD-ROM, DVD, and Read-Write Devices

16XDVD AND 16XDVD+/-RW, w/ Cyberlink PowerDVD™ and Roxio Creator™

Sound Card

Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D), w/Dolby® Digital 5.1

Speakers

Dell A225 Two Piece Stereo System

Intel Hyper-Threading Hyper-Threading feature preset to ON. Can be disabled/enabled in BIOS.

Software

Adobe Production Studio Standard w/ Photoshop CS2 

FrontPage 2003 - Full Version 

Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003
Norton SystemWorks 2006 

Dell Service & Support Plans 3 Year On-site Business Standard Plan

Lee
8/28/2006 7:40:44 AM
Our primary projection computer is almost 4 yrs old now, 2.6GHz, 1 GB with a 533MHz FSB, using ATI 9800XT.

1. You're buying a brand new system and still want to use a 533MHz FSB? Maybe the V7200 can't absorb any more, I don't know, but it's worth looking into, especially since in your case the memory is feeding two cpu's.

2. Beyond good hardware, performance is also affected by codec's. They are hard to fix because nobody identifies what codec (brand and rev number) a given brand of video file requires. I have some avi files from mfgr A that play smooth but other seemingly identical files from mfgr B that don't.

3. I updated DirectX 9.0c on the primary projection machine to the Aug 2006 version. What harm can that do, right? But now audio streaming from a radio station doesn't work on the songshow limited account, only on the admin account. And I don't know how to fix that, either.

osborn4
8/28/2006 8:35:07 AM
My dream system would be something that would ONLY be used for projection and wouldn't have folks on it the rest of the week creating web pages and such.

Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements) is nice to have on the projection computer, for last minute graphic tweaks. PPT is needed, so having Word and Excel along for the ride is good for pounding out last minute notes for the projection operator.

But my dream system would not be used as anyone else's workstation. It would remain a projection only machine.

Hey, you said we should dream.

osborn4
8/28/2006 8:39:59 AM
Keep in mind that your second monitor only needs to support the same resolution as your projector(s).

So if your projector natively supports 1024 x 768, you may be able to pick up an older 15" LCD the supports that resolution.

Trying to run a 1280 x 1024 monitor (which most 17" LCDs are) at 1024 x 768 is rarely a pretty sight.

osborn4
8/28/2006 9:04:52 AM
I don't' know if those speakers are an upgrade or not, but I wouldn't buy speakers for the projection computer. The few times that I need sound from the computer that doesn't run through the sound board, I grab a pair of headphones.

Speakers would be more clutter and 2 more sets of wires there in the sound board/projection booth (wherever this is located).

The ATI FireGL V7200 may be the wrong kind of card to get the most out of SongShowPlus. Hopefully someone from R-Technics will chime in here on that.

CyberLink's PowerDVD does not install the necessary drivers for SongShowPlus to show DVDs and/or MPEG2s. You will want to also include a separate purchase of Intervideo's WinDVD. See System Requirements.

It used to be the case that SSP worked best with WinDVD 4 or 6, not necessarily 7. I don't know if that is still the case, but since it's mostly the CODECS that SSP needs, you can get an older version from eBay and have it work quite nicely with SSP.

You didn't mention keyboard or mouse. Some folks like to get a wireless keyboard and mouse to try to reduce wire clutter. But I think it's just one more thing that could go wrong.

Steven
8/28/2006 11:46:46 AM

That system is very expensive, and not well suited to SSP.  Go to Support->Knowledge Base and click the link, "Click here for SSP System Requirements."  In that list are the recommendations for "Full Graphics Mode, Extreme Performance."  You should be able to build a system for less cost with better performance than the Dell.

The Xeon processor is more expensive, aimed at a different market, and may introduce problems.  The ATI FireGL (and the NVIDIA Quadro) costs a lot (the V7200 costs over $700), and is again aimed at a different market and may not even work correctly with SSP. 

SSP does not support Cyberlink DVD.

If you stick with the parts listed on our system requirements link, you should have a fantastic SSP experience, and for less money as well.  The "Full Graphics Mode, Extreme Performance" parts are exactly what you want for a "Dream System."

In summary, the Dell you are looking at costs more, runs slower, and may not even run SSP correctly.  It is simply intended for a different purpose, such as high-end workstation (CAD) or server environments.

Jkelley
8/28/2006 1:42:12 PM
Lee, Joel, and Steven,
Thanks guys for being so helpful. These are the sort of replies I was fishing for.

Steven,
I believe I will go with your recommendation of building my own. Please hook me up with some resources. You can email me @ kelley9105@aol.com .

Thanks,
Joe

dreece
9/8/2006 12:55:44 AM
R-Technics is working with a company that can provide an "off-the-shelf" computer solution that meets the various configuration requirements for SSP. Call the sales line for more information if you are interested in learning more abouit these options.

osborn4
9/8/2006 6:39:22 AM
Posted By Reid on 09/07/2006 12:06 PM

ViewSonic 19" VP930B Thinedge HDTV LCD Flat Panel (Black)
       -Need a nice large control screen, pick up another nice 15" for your display screen
Only 19"? I can dream a LOT bigger than 19" for the control screen.

And wouldn't a dream system have a 16:9 projector, so you'd need a wide screen display screen?

osborn4
10/20/2006 9:46:08 AM
Posted By Steven on 08/28/2006 11:46 AM

The Xeon processor is more expensive, aimed at a different market, and may introduce problems. 

Have you guys had a chance to look at whether the Xeon process does, in fact, cause problems?

Steven
10/20/2006 12:20:04 PM
There is currently no data regarding Xeon performance / problems, but we do not officially support Xeon. Considering the extra cost, there is good motivation to stick with a mainstream processor.

osborn4
10/20/2006 1:06:12 PM
OK. I'm currently communicating with a guy trying out SSP and the machine he has to try it on is a a dual Xeon 3.0 Ghz with 2 gig of RAM and a Quadro card and was getting occasional stutters.

So I was trying to explain to him why it might not work well on that system.

I think I've got him convinced to try the laptop that they are currently using at thier church for projection.

fbcgoshen
12/24/2006 7:04:40 AM
We Currently have been Running a Xeon 2.4 ghz machine for 3 years. It does NOT run as smoothly as i would like it to. We have numerous little hang ups. We also have 1gb of ram. We have an ATI FireGl X1 AGP Pro dual 256mb vbideo card. We are looking to replace this computer this summer and move it to the teen room. We will be having a computer built to ssp specs. This computer does have Hyperthreading but it is turned off.

osborn4
12/25/2006 8:44:24 AM
IF you're running SSP V7, you can turn hyperthreading back on.

An ATI Radeon will work better than a FireGL, from what I hear.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙