Version 5.5 > Please hurry!!!

osborn4
9/3/2005 9:29:08 PM
I need a new version of SSP to run.

SSP has crashed mid-service the last 2 weeks.   

Have there been problems with background images larger Than 1024 x 768? SSP hung going into a song that might have had a large background.

Today, PPT crashed under SSP when I was trying to start the sermon ppt. And then SSP wouldn't restart PPT.

I had cued The sermon and went to play it. Then I wanted to close the cue and open The "next" screen. Somewhere in the middle of all that, ppt dumped.

Thanks for letting me vent.

osborn4
9/4/2005 11:26:54 AM
Just so you know, I am running the latest version of SSP 5.5 (unless a newer one has come out in the last couple of weeks).

We just had a really spyware attack on the machine, so we rebuilt the whole thing, reformatting the drive up.

We install WinXP with SP2 and all the critical hot fixes. We installed OFfice 2003 with PPT. The machine is a Dell 8400 with a 3.0 GHz processor, 1 gig of RAM, an ATI Radeon X700 Pro with 256MB of ram, and the latest video drivers.

iamgap
9/4/2005 1:03:50 PM
I have read where someone resized their background pictures, and SSP stablized when it had been regularly crashing.

Did these problems start after a rebuild, or did you discover that spyware was the cause, and that rebuilding resolved your issue?

If the problems started after a rebuild, are you sure you have the latest NVidia/ATI drivers? Someone recently had issues with SSP because they were relying on the supplied CDRom drivers instead of downloading the latest.

Hope this helps.

gap

EDIT: Unless you are using a laptop, then use the latest drivers provided by the manufacturor.

osborn4
9/4/2005 3:50:12 PM

We were having sporadic problems before. The spyware/worm/whatever, when it his, was continually popping up IE windows and killing Norton and MS AntiSpyware, etc.

I'll double check the video drivers, but our "rebuild" guy is usually pretty good about things like that.

Karen39
9/4/2005 4:51:36 PM
Gosh, can you copy a log and email it to support somehow?  We have never had those troubles!!!  It would be horrible if we did.  I just couldn't have SSP crashing on us.  I haven't installed the SP2 yet though either.  We don't have any spyware because the computer is only used for projecting.  I can get on the internet but I am really the only one who uses it.  I think that is why it has run so well for a while now.

osborn4
9/4/2005 9:25:21 PM
Believe me, we will be changing our set up so that only I and a few other "need to know" folks will know the machine admin password(s).

The default account will be changed to "user".

Something that we should have done sometime ago, but never got around to it.

Rick Everingham
9/4/2005 9:25:47 PM
If you go to Start/Programs/Songshowplus/Utilitites and open utilities, a menu will come up.  Hit F12 and you can activate the trace log utility.  Open SSP and run it until it crashes.  2 icons will appear on your desktop, don't remember their exact names but it is obvious which one you click to email the log file to Rtechnics.

Karen39
9/5/2005 7:15:58 AM
We had 2 computers built at exactly the same time to run Songshow Plus.  This was almost 2 years ago.  1 was for the youth room and 1 for the sanctuary.  The one in the sanctuary runs great!  The one in the youth room has been rebuilt several times.  They don't even have access to the internet.  They're always having problems.  I was helping them, but I generally don't anymore because several people feel the need to always change all the settings on every aspect of SSP and the computer.  Several people only have access to this computer  . . . it is a nightmare. 

iamgap
9/5/2005 1:10:21 PM
Posted By osborn4 on 09/04/2005 9:25 PM
Believe me, we will be changing our set up so that only I and a few other "need to know" folks will know the machine admin password(s).

The default account will be changed to "user".

Something that we should have done sometime ago, but never got around to it.
Be sure and set full control permissions to all the R-Technics folders for the new "user" account. There are four folders, and I have found that you also have to set these same permissions to the subfolder SongShow Plus (four also) as it is not set to inherit permissions. I believe all files and folders below SongShow Plus are set to inherit, so that should be that last place to make these changes.

gap

BTW: Did video drivers advice help?

osborn4
9/5/2005 2:34:50 PM
Posted By iamgap on 09/05/2005 1:10 PM

Be sure and set full control permissions to all the R-Technics folders for the new "user" account. There are four folders, and I have found that you also have to set these same permissions to the subfolder SongShow Plus (four also) as it is not set to inherit permissions. I believe all files and folders below SongShow Plus are set to inherit, so that should be that last place to make these changes.

gap

BTW: Did video drivers advice help?
I'll be sure to test everything out as a user. I keep my data folders seperate from the program folders, so I'll play around until I get a workable combination.

Do permissions need to change for the program files, or only the Data?

I haven't had a chance to check the video drivers yet. We have services on Saturday morning, so I probably won't be back over to church until Friday, when I work on this weeks SongShow. Although, I am tempted to go on over there sooner and start checking some of this out.

Thanks, all, for sticking with me through this.

...Joel

osborn4
9/5/2005 2:37:02 PM
re: SSP trace

I'd be more apt to try it, if I could get it to fail more consistantly. Hopefully, next Friday I'll remember to play around with that as well.

Does that impact performance real bad? I'd really hate to have to run that during services.

Rick Everingham
9/5/2005 7:55:48 PM
No, I didn't notice any.

David
9/6/2005 11:28:15 AM
The trace file is a very useful tool but it was really designed for use by us here at R-Technics.  We use it as a means to see what is going on when your computer has problems. 

If folks do choose to enable that's great.  Just be aware that it probably won't make a lot of sense to you.

There are also quite a few things that may appear in the logs that sound bad but aren't.  The first time I saw one I saw a bunch of things that made me think "Wow, that's really bad."  Now I see those things and don't even notice them because they don't really make a difference.  They just sound bad but aren't. 

As far as performance goes you shouldn't see any impact at all.  It really just logs information that's already flying around in the computer.

osborn4
9/6/2005 1:23:56 PM
Believe me. If I made a log, I would let the professionals look at it.

I wouldn't want to have to call you and say something bad happened and not have anything for you to look at.

We'll see how it goes. I might turn it on while I'm preparing and running through the slide show on Friday and see if anything happens. If it happens, I will be in touch.

David
9/6/2005 1:29:31 PM
Well, the first thing I would ask you is to check the version of your video drivers. 

After that I would go back and make sure your Hyperthreading is turnned off.  Who knows, maybe someone that "knows" all about computers turned it on to make it better. 

*Edit: Fixed a typo

osborn4
9/13/2005 8:21:59 AM
Better luck this Sabbath. The video drivers are the most current available from ATI.

However, I changed the PPT preview option so that it would render the slide as a graphic in the preview panel.

No crashes this week!

The only issue was the pastor coming up to us 10 minutes b4 first service with a DVD to play before the testimony. It was in the middle of the service where we generally have the screen up.

Fortunaly, I was able to pull some stock slides out for some of the other service items and cover the situation....

So, a better week, from an SSP point of view, anyway.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙