Version 5.5 > Saving song lyrics

Swift
9/6/2005 2:33:33 PM
Ok, I'd like to give all of my musicians a file containing all the current songs that we have.  Song Titles and lyrics.  This is especially good for the musicians that need music. 

I've looking through SSP 5.5 and haven't really found anything to do that.  Is there a way to do it?  Or am I stuck printing off each song by itself? 

Thanks, any help would be much appreciated.

mike
9/6/2005 3:51:46 PM
I took a quick look to see if there was a painless way to do what you want to do,
I could not find a completely painless way.. but I think there is a "not too painful way"
(Please note, I do not work for SSP)  --  The trick -- You can print a program!

First, if you want a to create a file, let windows do it for you.
Go to the control panel or the printer panel and add a fake printer
(this is different on various versions of windows)  The keys to it though, are:
  1) print plain text (dumb generic text printer)
  2) print to file

(BTW.. Everyone should keep a fake printer setup on their PC -- it comes in handy a lot for programs that don't have an "export" feature)

(An alternative to this step, is to really print the file once, then make copies)

Second: go into SSP, go into the "Show Songs Panel"
choose the  "All Songs" tab
(here is the painful part) go through the list and add every song to the "program"  by pressing the "+"

Third: choose the "Program" menu item, then "Print Program", you will see a pop-up.
Choose what you want to print (e.g., Song titles and lyrics)

Choose Printer setup - choose your 'fake printer' from Step 1.

Hope this works -- I have not actually tried it.

Mike

mike
9/6/2005 4:07:20 PM

Just one more comment about the fake printer .. On my laptop (which has office and onenote) Microsoft has already given me a 'fake printer" called "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer".  I don't know if that is standard with Office 2003 or OneNote, but if you have it, you won't need to create a "fake printer' yourself and the results will look much better than plain text.

Mike

Swift
9/6/2005 4:09:32 PM
Thanks Mike, I'll give it a shot.

osborn4
9/6/2005 4:13:37 PM
Rather than printing to a dummy printer, you can click the "Copy HTML to clipboard" button on the print screen and then paste that into Word 2002 or newer, or your favorite other editor that will accept an HTML past, like OpenOffice Write.

Once you have it in the word processor, you can edit it to your heart's content.

Of course, you're just going to be printing lyric sheets. No music or chords.

iamgap
9/6/2005 7:53:51 PM
Posted By mike on 09/06/2005 3:51 PM
I took a quick look to see if there was a painless way to do what you want to do,
I could not find a completely painless way.. but I think there is a "not too painful way"
(Please note, I do not work for SSP)  --  The trick -- You can print a program!

First, if you want a to create a file, let windows do it for you.
Go to the control panel or the printer panel and add a fake printer
(this is different on various versions of windows)  The keys to it though, are:
  1) print plain text (dumb generic text printer)
  2) print to file

(BTW.. Everyone should keep a fake printer setup on their PC -- it comes in handy a lot for programs that don't have an "export" feature)

(An alternative to this step, is to really print the file once, then make copies)

Second: go into SSP, go into the "Show Songs Panel"
choose the  "All Songs" tab
(here is the painful part) go through the list and add every song to the "program"  by pressing the "+"

Third: choose the "Program" menu item, then "Print Program", you will see a pop-up.
Choose what you want to print (e.g., Song titles and lyrics)

Choose Printer setup - choose your 'fake printer' from Step 1.

Hope this works -- I have not actually tried it.

Mike

Please note:
If you do this, it will add some code that will need to be editted out. You will also have to where to save the output, and what to call it (example: c:\A Songs.txt). If you use the same printer driver that your printer has (if you have someplace else to take it for mass printing), but set it to print to file, make the extension .ps (i.e. c:\SSP_songs\A.ps). Break it down how ever you need to and burn to CD, copy to jump drive, or copy to floppy disk. Take that media to your printer, and they can take it from there.

I personally think the save/print to HTML mentioned in this thread is the best option.

gap

Swift
9/13/2005 2:10:26 PM
Posted By osborn4 on 09/06/2005 4:13 PM
Rather than printing to a dummy printer, you can click the "Copy HTML to clipboard" button on the print screen and then paste that into Word 2002 or newer, or your favorite other editor that will accept an HTML past, like OpenOffice Write.

Once you have it in the word processor, you can edit it to your heart's content.

Of course, you're just going to be printing lyric sheets. No music or chords.

This actually turned out to be the most effecient way.  Thanks for all the excellent replies.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙