Version 8.5 > Preview display

wotz
9/14/2018 3:23:27 PM
My worship team are loving it. I have it set to show the first line of the next verse on the bottom of the stage display, with yellow text.

akins
9/26/2018 11:49:52 AM
Alister, how exactly did you do that??

wotz
9/27/2018 2:35:09 AM
I'm looking at my home set up but think my church setup is pretty much the same.
I have stage display set to target display window 2 and preview display set to target display window 3.
Display window 2 is set to display device for our rear projector, and use the specified area to set height to 90%
Display window 3 is also set to the display device for the rear projector, and in specified area set top to 90% and height to 10%
Display settings for display 3 songs are fixed text size - no grow or shrink, left aligned, in case of a long line, and yellow, to differentiate it from current verse lyrics
For display 3 I also set the margins for slide shows, videos and images to pretty much show nothing.

I tried to set it up using margins for display 2 & 3, not specified area, but it didn't work. One or other of them would take over the whole display, but use its set margins.

akins
10/4/2018 11:47:29 AM
Thanks -- I'll give that a try.

akins
10/9/2018 8:20:55 AM
I'm having a hard time finding out very much about the "preview display." I've looked in the Blogs,
the Knowledge Base, and the User Guide without much success. I have followed Alister's instructions
but can't find out how to determine what shows in the display. I assume that this can also be used
somewhat like the old "cued" option that was (unfortunately) removed several years ago. I wonder
if there is any info available about how to use this feature?

iamgap
10/21/2018 7:29:52 AM
Posted By Dick Akins on 09 Oct 2018 08:20 AM

I'm having a hard time finding out very much about the "preview display." I've looked in the Blogs,

the Knowledge Base, and the User Guide without much success. I have followed Alister's instructions

but can't find out how to determine what shows in the display. I assume that this can also be used

somewhat like the old "cued" option that was (unfortunately) removed several years ago. I wonder

if there is any info available about how to use this feature?

This appears to be a new feature of the 8.5 version. Are you using 8.5, and older version?

*NEW* Preview Display

• Added capability to specify a Preview Display output that can be sent to a separate monitor, partial monitor, or embedded in the Presenter Window.
  • This is an exciting and flexible new display implementation and is configured similar to the Stage display (Source/Target).
  • This can be simply embedded so just the operator can see what is next or as a separate display.
  • Creative use of the display settings can make this a "lower third" preview on the Stage Display.

akins
10/24/2018 2:06:00 PM
Finally called GFM and they didn't have an answer to this "exciting" new option.
The big question is: how do you determine what will be in the display?
Nothing shows up in the bottom 20% I have designated for the preview.
I would think that there was some outline somewhere telling exactly how
to use this option, but seemly there isn't! Maybe it is still on the "drawing board."

akins
10/24/2018 2:07:59 PM
I'm using vs. 8.5 build 9/8/18

akins
11/3/2018 9:07:17 AM
Still trying to figure out how this works. I am getting the preview of the
slide shows (although "slide shows" isn't even in the list under "slide
properties"), but I get nothing for songs or scripture, but they are
listed under slide properties. If there's nothing in the user manual,
nothing in any of the support listings, no responses on the forums, and
Go Fish Media has no answer, can this really be an option?

In the preview description, this is said to replace the previous
"cued" and "next" from version 7 as well as allow preview on
the stage monitor. Can all these be done at once (if one can get
any of them working) or do you have to choose one?? If you have
to choose, then it really isn't a replacement for what was in version 7.
If you can have all three at the same time (and you can get it to
work) it will, indeed, be and "exciting" new addition.

Waiting to hear !!

wotz
11/3/2018 10:58:02 PM
Are you using verse order?

akins
11/8/2018 8:28:42 AM
Since I am displaying songs "page-by-page," that is what I
choose for the preview also. It is strange to me that I can get
the preview of slide shows (which are not in the list
of available media), but not songs or scripture (which are in the
list)! So far there has been no help from SSP gurus or those
at GFM -- they are probably learning also.

akins
11/30/2018 11:50:33 AM
In the preview description, this is said to replace the previous
"cued" and "next" from version 7 as well as allow preview on
the stage monitor. Can all these be done at once or do you have
to choose one?? If you have to choose, then it really isn't a
replacement for what was in version 7. If you can have all
three at the same time it will, indeed, be and "exciting" new addition.

STILL waiting to hear !!

George
12/4/2018 3:16:46 PM
Hi Dick,

The answer to your question is "sort of" - let me explain.

The first thing to understand is what " Cued" and "Next" mean, or actually, meant.

In earlier builds of Version 7 (pre April 2012), objects in the program did not load until they were selected so the "Cue" feature was created/used to load objects so they would display faster. That is no longer necessary because in version 8.x, everything in the program is loaded when the program is loaded so cue only/auto cue for an item is not a thing anymore which is why it was removed.

The useful feature that was lost in that transition was the ability to show the next item/part in the program AND cross objects in the program to see this (i.e. The Cued thumbnail would show the first part in the next object when cuing was turned on) which the current Media Control panel does not show.  As I understand it, this is the feature that you and others miss from pre version 8 SongShow Plus.  Comparing or referring to the "old" Cue/Next features and the "new" Preview features is confusing and unproductive because this is not an "apples to apples" comparison.  If what you are looking for is an exact replication of the previous Current/Next/Cued thumbnail pane/config, that will not be available. Fortunately, the new Preview Display is way better than that.

In the simplest terms, the Preview Display will show the content that will appear when you advance the program.  

Because it is a Display rather than just a thumbnail, it can be positioned in a variety of locations. It can appear in the Presenter control for the operator, it can go to a portion of an existing display device or to a new dedicated display device.  Combinations of these are also possible.  There are slide settings that can be adjusted to determine how this looks when it is shown. The settings and limitations of the Preview Display are the same as the Stage Display so in some cases, such as videos and PPT, it will only show the label but still indicates what is next.

Since there are a number of possible combinations and configurations possible with the available controls, there are currently no "presets" for these configs.  What you need to ask yourself is "Do I want to show Preview content and where/who do I want to see it?" 

Back to your earlier point, in the Preview blog description it says it combines those features, not replaces them. I only mention this because you indicated "...If you can have all three at the same time..."  but there are no longer three "things" to show, only two - the current slide and what comes next.  If what you want to see is the current content and what comes next and show this both on the control display for the operator and on your stage monitor for the choir at the same time, then yes this is possible.

If you have a specific configuration/set up that you want to accomplish, let us know and we can help you figure it out.

akins
12/5/2018 9:10:57 PM
Aaah, George,
Thanks for the illuminating description! After a lot of fussing around I have finally gotten the stage display showing the present view in the upper 2/3 and the "preview of coming attractions" in the bottom 1/3. Since I can embed both of these in the control panel, I can see what's coming up, ala "next." I would like to put a separator (maybe a line) between the upper and lower parts of the stage display, but using different colored backgrounds and font color accomplishes the same thing. Thanks again for the help.

StanCason
10/24/2019 10:24:29 AM
Hey!  I just saw this post, and came up with the same configuration playing around with Stage Display and Preview Display.  Top 2/3 and Bottom 1/3.  Two different backgrounds Black on top and Navy on the bottom and 2 font colors.  White on Top and Yellow on the Bottom.  Yeah!  

However, The first slide of a song does not show the Preview of the second slide.  Is anybody else having this issue?  I find the same thing in Version 9.0.  What is the best work around?  Should I just start with a blank slide for the intro of each song?  Or is there some configuration that I am missing?

Stan

StanCason
10/24/2019 11:01:40 AM
Okay.... I did some more playing around. When I put a blank slide in first.... I have a problem with the second slide (which is a title slide with first verse) not showing the preview of the third slide. So I went back to the setup and changed it to show the title on the title slide only, and everything started working properly.

So I think there is a problem with using a song text layout build option of first lyrics slide only in combination with the preview display.

akins
10/24/2019 5:02:24 PM
I haven't noticed any problem in showing any song or blank slide on the stage monitor segmented 2/3 and 1/3. Blanks show blank in both
and song text or titles will show in both and they are correct as to projected or previewed. All my songs begin with a blank followed by
a title slide and all songs end with a blank. I'm using 8.5.

StanCason
12/3/2019 9:10:17 AM
Yep, it works fine if you use a Title slide as your first slide.
The problem is if you use the build option "First Lyrics Slide Only"

I just checked it out in the 11/27 build and the problem is still there.

Stan

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙