Version 8.0 > Alongside Version 7

dreece
5/31/2013 6:26:40 PM
Version 8.0 can be installed along side version 7 (and earlier versions for that matter). It does not uninstall version 7 nor does it overwrite it. It also does not use the same settings. Because of this, you can give version 8.0 a try on a version 7 machine without breaking the version 7 installation (with one caveat noted below).

Version 8.0 will use the same media folders. Be aware that files that you create or modify in version 8.0 will be unusable in version 7. This is the main thing you'll need to be aware of if you are running both versions on the same machine.

The one caveat mentioned above, is that version 8.0 will adjust the Windows Shell settings which will cause version 8.0 to be launched if SongShow Plus files are opened from within Windows Explorer. 

That all being said, it is still advisable to avoid installing version 8.0 on a version 7 machine moments before a service. Do that kind of thing earlier in the week.

osborn4
6/1/2013 7:53:05 AM
That sounds great.

mike
6/3/2013 9:00:19 AM
Very cool! I was about to ask several questions about the upgrade procedure, but this made each irrelevant.

mfalk57
12/31/2013 7:49:09 AM
Once version 8 is running well on a version 7 machine, should I uninstall version 7? Or do I leave both versions on the same machine?

dreece
12/31/2013 1:46:43 PM
It depends. If you are using the "legacy" database products like SongSelect, Worship Software, Online Bible, QuickVerse, and others, version 8 will continue support these for now so long as version 7 is also installed on the same machine. If you are not using those plug-ins, then you can removed version 7.

Garry Nolan
4/5/2014 4:30:00 PM
I have installed SSP V8 on the same machine as V7 and all is working well…except, V8 displays on the main monitor and not on the display monitor and the screens. I have change the settings, but when I restart SSP V8, it goes back. Any solutions? Thanks!

Garry Nolan
4/6/2014 6:57:37 PM
Well, I got the display settings to save and used V8 in service today. My hot keys did not work to change verses and chorus, but I am hopeful I can set them and continue trying the new version. Thanks!

George
4/8/2014 3:14:10 PM
Garry,

Can you please elaborate - specifically which hot keys are you referring to that are not working.

I can take a look if you give me some specific steps on this.

Thanks.

Garry Nolan
4/9/2014 7:59:00 AM
Sure. During worship, I use the number keys (0-9,+,-) to change from verses to chorus. I noticed the + and - keys work in the program, but the 0-9 will not change the verses in the songs.

Thanks!

George
4/9/2014 10:15:49 AM
Thanks Garry,

I have replicated this behavior and will investigate.

Garry Nolan
8/21/2014 2:54:52 PM
Here is an update on the hot keys problem. Since I loaded the newest version of SSP 8 (SspSetup.8.0.3.30819.1) all has been working wonderfully; not problems.

Can I now uninstall Version 7? We have not used it for months. Thanks.

Garry Nolan

osborn4
8/22/2014 6:46:16 PM
I just uninstalled version 7 on two projection machines and haven't seen anything negative.

Garry Nolan
8/23/2014 12:16:40 PM
Thanks Joel. I was concerned, because I heard some of the SSP 7 components worked with V8. I know the same song, slide, and image folders are shared by both versions. I guess I will give it a try.

~Garry

George
8/25/2014 8:06:54 AM
Garry,

You should be fine removing Version 7.  Yes, the same folder structure is used and preserved.  Removing Version 7 does nothing to this structure.

The only reason to keep Version 7 installed is to support the use of legacy plugins such as Online Bible in Version 8.  If you are not using any of them then you can un-install Version 7 at your convenience.

Garry Nolan
8/26/2014 1:48:40 PM
George,

I do not use Legacy Plug-ins. I started the uninstall process and a window asking to uninstall SSP and related plug-ins and samples appears. Should I uninstall everything? Again, I do not want to lose any files I still use in V8. Thanks!

~Garry

Garry Nolan
8/27/2014 1:13:52 PM
George,

I uninstalled all of SSP7 and all is well with Version 8. The only thing I can see that is odd is when I tried to uninstall 3 SSPsamples: in the Control Panel. Yhey gave me an error Could not open INSTALL.LOG file. Other than that, no problems. Thanks again for the info.

~Garry

George
8/27/2014 3:10:13 PM
Sounds like you are good.

Thanks for the info.

jfodge
11/5/2014 4:57:47 PM
How do I uninstall SSP v7? I went into the Control Panel, Uninstall Program dialogue where I was able to find "Song Show Plus - 07-19-14" and "Song Show Plus 8.0 R-Technics, Inc. - 07-25-14"
I am a little afraid to uninstall the 07-19 file, in case it impacts the 07-25 file since I have had SSP 7 on this machine for almost two years now...I just can't find the v7 file to uninstall.

Jon

George
11/6/2014 11:42:32 AM
Jon,

The only reason to keep Version 7 would be to support legacy apps such as Online Bible.  If you do not use these then you will be fine uninstalling Version 7.  Also keep in mind that the un-installation of any version on SongShow Plus does not remove any data files.

As far as which one - the one listed as just SongShow Plus is Version 7.

Given your installation date for 8.0 (7/25) I would recommend updating to the current release - 8.1.

Also if you have question about anything the support team can help you with this.  Give them a call.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙