Version 8.0 > 5/31/2013 Note: DVD Support

dreece
5/31/2013 11:21:34 PM
Please note that the DVD components are not included in the 5/31/2013 build.

osborn4
6/1/2013 7:54:16 AM
I was wondering when that was just going to go away since it's becoming less and less useful because of the increasing DRM included in Windows and DVDs.

dreece
6/1/2013 1:24:14 PM
Posted By Joel Osborn on 01 Jun 2013 07:54 AM
I was wondering when that was just going to go away since it's becoming less and less useful because of the increasing DRM included in Windows and DVDs.
Actually, that is a consideration.

osborn4
6/2/2013 7:44:46 PM
What about MPG file support?

George
6/3/2013 9:31:49 AM
Posted By Joel Osborn on 02 Jun 2013 07:44 PM
What about MPG file support?

MPEG 1 support:
This is included in Windows all the way back to WinXP so nothing else is required for this.

MPEG 2 support:
This was NOT included in Windows XP and does require third party support.
This is included in Windows Vista and Windows 7.
For Windows 8, support for MPEG 2 was removed from the core installation.  Microsoft does offer a Media Center upgrade (the cost varies based on which version of the OS you have) that includes MPEG 2 support.  This has been verified to work with SongShow Plus.

osborn4
6/3/2013 10:33:15 AM
Ok. thanks. Will other add on DVD playing programs add this support as well?

Too bad you can't use the windows MP4 support.

George
6/3/2013 10:41:35 AM
For MPEG 2 support, other add on DVD players may work - it depends on if they are allowing everyone to "see" their stuff.  That does happen from time to time so your mileage may vary.  The only one that has been tested so far is the Microsoft solution.

Regarding Windows MP4/H.264 support - This is a perfect example of what I was referring to above.  Microsoft includes the support in Windows but will not allow anything but Windows Media player to "see" it.

aheathershaw
6/12/2013 11:42:56 AM
Just so I understand.... Version 8 will not play DVDs with via a third party add-on like V7 did? We use that feature quite a bit.

osborn4
6/12/2013 11:58:03 AM
Not in the current build.

We always rip to the hard drive whenever possible [insert standard copyright disclaimer here] or find an electronic copy.

aheathershaw
6/12/2013 12:05:36 PM
Thanks Joel. I'm sorry to see it go away. Once we got it set up, the DVD feature saves us a step or two in workflow since we could just pop the DVD in and go. We used it a lot for short missions videos from our state and national denominational missions organizations. Oh well. We can adjust.

akins
6/12/2013 1:59:10 PM
Many denominations (SBC for example) are now providing the promotional materials via download -- it's easier for them and for you. If your doesn't, you might ask about it and make a friendly suggestion.

osborn4
6/12/2013 4:23:52 PM
I'm with Dick. See if you can just download it, instead. Otherwise, handbrake it off the the disk and use it directly. Or copy the VOB files off the DVD, rename them to MPG and use them directly. They fire up more quickly and consistently than using the optical.

And don't give up on the DVD option. It's just not working in this build. It didn't sound like Doug had given up on the idea all together.

aheathershaw
6/13/2013 7:29:19 AM
I didn't know you could rename the VOB files to MPG. I'll give that a try if we can't find the videos via download. Thanks.

publican
7/25/2013 5:59:37 PM
If renaming does not work, you might try VLC to convert the file to mpg or other format you want.  It has been extremely helpful to me on many occasions when SSP would not play something, so I just converted it over.

I would still like to see DVD for a little while yet as I do use it on occasion.

mike
7/26/2013 11:18:44 AM
There is also, always plan B for when you absolutely need to play a DVD -- Lower SSP and drag a 3rd party DVD player onto the projection display. If your projector has a 'mute' feature, it can be done without even being too distracting.

This is how we played DVDs during VBS (the VBS material).

George
1/17/2014 2:42:08 PM
The DVD import feature has been reintroduced in the 1/15/2014 build of SSP 8.

There will be ongoing testing with this but at the very least it should work with the same DVD software that is used for SSP 7.

Other options *might* be available later.

Let us know if you run into issues with this.

osborn4
1/17/2014 5:35:14 PM
So we still need to look for the older versions of the software?

If we install that on Windows 8, will that give the MPeg2 support? Or will we still need Win8 pro and the Media Center add on?

Thanks.

George
1/20/2014 11:08:20 AM
For now what we are testing is the older solutions that were used with SSP 7. 

We are investigating some additional newer options and will document them once confirmed.

aheathershaw
1/21/2014 8:43:34 AM
Are there any currently available DVD software options that work with SSP7? We had been using a downloaded version of WinDVD 8 with our old computer, but when setting up our new projection computer last month we discovered that the product key is no longer supported and the software is not usable. (BTW: Very glad to hear that the DVD import function is still being included in SSP.)

dreece
1/21/2014 9:27:13 AM
SongShow Plus 8.0 still requires external components for DVD support. The good news is that it now works with some of the in-box components provided in Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 Pro with Media Center. That is to say, the video part of DVD is supported. The less good news is that Microsoft still has restrictions on use of the audio components when used with DVD. Because of this, you may need to find and install a third-party Dolby Digital decoder to get the audio part of DVD to work.

aheathershaw
1/21/2014 9:43:47 AM
Thanks Doug. That is good news. Any idea on the time frame of when V8 will be released from the Beta testing and this feature will be ready for use on our main system?

George
1/31/2014 1:05:36 PM
FYI on DVD Support:

• There are no previews available for the DVD playback in the Media Control or Program panels - This is expected behavior.
  • The Start/Stop feature will only work with DVD content that has the seek function enabled.  It will be grayed out if it is not supported. 
  • If Start/Stop points are set, when it is stopped it will hold on the last frame.
  • The Fade/Loop/When Complete options are not available for DVD.
  • Audio level and Mute are available for DVD.

brianf
5/8/2014 6:19:47 PM
Hi, I was happy to see that the DVD plugin works in V8 but I don't have any audio. Windows media player has audio when playing the dvd. Is there any 3rd party plugin I need to get for this to work ? thanks

dreece
5/8/2014 6:37:24 PM

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙