Tips & Tricks > Background Improv

osborn4
1/5/2007 8:57:34 PM
How do you folks use background improv?

I decided to give it a shot and try to set it up. But when I was trying to practice, it seemed that I wanted to switch the lyrics as I switched the words. And you can't seem to do both at the same time.

So how do you do it?

I'm curious.

iamgap
1/6/2007 3:30:41 PM

I use the + key to advance the verse while using a mouse click for the Improv item. You will need to adjust your timing based on the transition time you have set for improv.

Lucas
1/6/2007 3:39:45 PM
Or use the numerical keypad 1 = V1 2 = V2 0 = C1 And use that when changing backgrounds Or move the Improve panel to the top of the screen and try your luck

osborn4
1/6/2007 4:08:36 PM
I was close using the + for the lyrics and the mouse for the Improv. But I was wanting both to change at once.

That doesn't bother anyone? Do you do the lyrics then the background or vice versa?

Lucas
1/6/2007 4:12:34 PM
I do the background first then about 1 sec later do the verse

That way by time the background has started changing (2 secs) the verse is changing (1sec) and they both finish about the same time

Sorry you can't change both at once (i wish it did that too but that's another thread)

iamgap
1/6/2007 4:53:54 PM

Ditto what Lucas does. I try to get it so they both appear at the same time.

twj
1/6/2007 8:01:52 PM
Try starting the first slide of your song. Then click on a thumnail but not the arrow of the next background you wish to use. Then when you are ready to change slides, hit the space bar at the same time you click on the next slide (or sequence step advance). We have background transition time set to 1 second and slide transition set to 750 ms. With just a little practice it will look like both are happening at the same time.

My son, our youth service operator, showed me that trick.

osborn4
1/7/2007 9:28:01 AM
Interesting. What I thought I was seeing was that the background fade would have to finish before the verse change would start. I set the background fade to 2 seconds to try this.

Looks like this calls for more experimentation.

And/or a wish list entry for a "change background and go next" button in background improve.

I'd also like a way to preprogram the improv. I guess that would be taking the improvision out of the improv. But it would be nice to have it set up so that particular backgrounds would automatically be used as we hit the next key. Backgrounds attached to verses or even "pages" within verses.

But there's a lot of things I'd like. And I don't know that this would make it into my top 10.

twj
1/7/2007 5:16:59 PM
With only 3 of use replying to your first post, I suspect that Background Improv has limited use. It is now the default motion background in all of our Sunday and Youth services. We also use Worship Film's e fusion backgrounds almost exclusively which makes it easy to change backgrounds. I don't think it would work as well with scenic backgrounds.

Being across the street from the University of Illinois, the leadership decided we need to be as cutting edge as practical. Changing backgrounds with each slide may be too radical for a lot of churches but that is just what some of our operators do with the approval of leadership.

Lucas
1/8/2007 1:12:21 AM
I use Background Improve almost all the time.... even globals
The only exception is for SlideShows where I like to set them manually

For our morning services i prefer to use more crosses and landscapes

However for the Youth things I do i use the more fast backgrounds and try to match the background ahead of time so that it matches verse that is displayed

Lee
1/8/2007 7:28:51 AM
Posted By twj on 01/07/2007 5:16 PM
...I suspect that Background Improv has limited use...I don't think it would work as well with scenic backgrounds.
You're right for my case, but for me the issue is not "scenic backgrounds", the issue is most often dictated by the lyrics themselves.

I tend to use these criteria:
1. Backgrounds support the lyrics to some extent if possible.
2. Avoid reusing the same background in recent memory.
3. Too many backgrounds to navigate quickly enough via background improv.

Some lyrics are pretty vacuous in which case abstracts such as EZ Fusion or 3dbackgrounds work great. Others have specific thoughts allowing use of specific themed backgrounds. Still others cover more ground where changing backgrounds would be great. For example, they used the Revelation Song two weeks ago V1 is worthy is the lamb who was slain and heaven's mercy seat, V2 is clothed in rainbows of colors and wise King, V3 is Your Name and living water, and the C is sing with all creation (the angels, seraphims, cherubims, etc.). I would have loved to use appropriate images for each V&C but couldn't so instead for the entire song I focused on the C (since SSP doesn't allow attaching different files to different phrases of a song.)

osborn4
1/8/2007 7:58:04 AM
Posted By Lee on 01/08/2007 7:28 AM
1. Backgrounds support the lyrics to some extent if possible.
3. Too many backgrounds to navigate quickly enough via background improv.
I was going to address these by making a sub folder for that song and populate it with copies of the backgrounds that I thought would be good for those lyrics.

I was even considering numbering the background copies (01stars.jpg, 02globe.jpg, etc) so that they would be in the order I wanted them in.

Lee
1/9/2007 7:30:50 AM
Another feature that has great potential is chaining. Unfortunately it isn't completely implemented yet; one cannot be attached as a background.

Consider an (obvious) example of an evangelistic type song about "reaching" people - today we can only apply a single people-oriented background and stare at the same thing for maybe 4 minutes. With a background chain we could use a variety of people and crowd videos (say from Barna, individually they don't loop) which would lend more interest and impact to the core idea of the song.

osborn4
1/9/2007 7:59:01 AM
Or....

A collection of stills of people, using Pan/Zoom for movement, then fading to the next.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙