Tips & Tricks > Getting the color right

richdr71
1/26/2007 10:49:23 AM
To get the right color (or "colour," if you're from outside the U.S.), I use a color picker to get the RGB values from some point in the slide and try to get an equal or inverse color for my text.

This works for both songs and slides.

I use "ColorMania" from Blacksun software. It's freeware so even I can afford it.

Just open the graphic in any image viewer (I use Picassa and IrfanView) drag the little "eye dropper" thingy (that's the technical term, right?) over the portion of the graphic you want to use and you get an automatic RGB value. Of course, for slide shows you can do it right from the slide show itself (you just can't easily do it with song backgrounds from within SSP).

This cool little piece of software also lets you lighten/darken the RBG values to keep a color in the same family, but still be a bit lighter or darker to create enough contrast. Or, if the color just blends into the background too much, you can invert the color.

Once you get the RGB value, just enter it into the text color portion of the Display options for your song, or on a slide select the color as your fill color. (I assume I don't have to explain how to do that.)

We have a single slide with a Bible verse as a pre-service display. I used a photo background with a cloudy sky and a little blue showing through. The Bible verse was one about hope (Hebrews 10:23), and I thought it would be interesting to use the color of the sky for the words (which were set against the clouds). The contrast wasn't high, but it was high enough to work and the effect was what I was hoping for.

Rather than just sticking with the standard 40 colors, you can get that color that's just right for the feel of the slide behind your text.

ColorMania is freeware and is availabe from the following URL.

http://www.blacksunsoftware.com/

If you use a color picker, which one do you use?

Have you found any other helpful techniques?

How would you use this idea with a video background?

--Rich DeRuiter
Pastor, Alger Community Church (CRC)

osborn4
1/26/2007 12:40:04 PM
That sounds great! I can't wait to try it.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙