Version 5.5 > SLI Compatibility

David
10/4/2005 1:15:17 PM
I have recently begun testing some of the newer computer technologies with SongShow Plus so that we here at R-Technics can provide our users with the most reliable information when it comes to compatibility issues.  Today I will be discussing SLI.  I will cover other technologies later in future posts.

SLI is a technology available only on NVidia based video cards.  It allows two paired video cards to run as one.  These cards must be identical.  SLI exists only on PCI Express mother boards with SLI enabled.  One major drawback is that SLI supports only a single monitor.  

In testing I have found that SongShow Plus and SLI are not compatible.  Running in single monitor mode with SLI enabled there were a number of problems that would prevent you from being able to display a program in a service.  Simply unchecking "SLI Mode" in the Nvidia drivers does correct the problems but you will no longer be using both video cards as a single unit.

The lack of dual monitor support and the increased cost of an SLI system out weigh most, if not all, of the potential benefits that SLI could have provided.  SLI based motherboards cost on average $40 more.  Add to that the cost of  buying two $200 plus video cards and you've spent $440 that could have been used to just buy a better single video card. 

In short, we do not currently support running SongShow Plus on a system with SLI enabled. 

osborn4
10/4/2005 3:20:12 PM

If there's no dual monitor support, then it doesn't sound like a big loss.

I can't imagine going back to single monitor mode.

w#nelson
10/31/2005 12:29:36 PM
Will you be looking at ATix' CrossFire(TM) version of SLI?

dreece
10/31/2005 2:04:44 PM
It appears that CrossFire also does not support dual monitors. 

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙