Tips & Tricks > Church policy regarding new computers

mike
1/29/2008 9:14:12 AM
Our church has recently adopted a new policy that I think is a really good one.

The policy: The projection computer is always the newest and most powerful computer in the church!

If the senior pastor or anyone else needs a new desktop computer, we will order a new projection system and he gets the prior projection system.  Our pastor suggested this policy.  With all of the multimedia that people are used to today, doing anything less than your best on the screen will be a letdown for seekers.

With all that this software does (motion transitions, shawdows...) If you are using this software to its full potential, you will want an up to date computer.   We will no longer use the 3 year old computer that just barley meets the minimum requirements... That computer is still fine for word processing or almost anything else.

osborn4
1/29/2008 9:23:52 AM
We don't have an official policy, but that's basically what we have done lately. After running SSP for a few years on a couple of desktop hand me downs, we bought a projection PC specifically specced out to be a projection PC a few years ago.

Now we are in the process of purchasing a new projection PC and the old one will either become the audio capture PC or a replacement for the dinosaur in the secretary's office (you know, the important one with all the church's financial records and such on it. The one that probably gets the most use during the week.)

Both pastor's have gone to laptops, so those aren't in the mix. In fact, the Associate pastor has taken to using SSP on the Saturday Night service, downstairs, so we'll be ordering a projection license for him.

That gives us a backup SSP machine for emergencies, although it won't be near as powerful, it would be able to throw songs up on the screen in a pinch.

iamgap
1/29/2008 6:34:04 PM

Our church is lucky that someone, in the past, recognized that the church financials should be on a server. The church has a file server that is used for most things, but mostly for the finacials (we use ACS).

No for the bad part. The person that set up the PC only set a 3GB OS partition. Guess what I get to do as soon as I can. Yep. make an image of the OS and Data drives, and rebuild the RAID with a larger OS. I may even look into upgrading to Server 2003, make it a DC, increase the drive size.

osborn4
1/29/2008 7:54:34 PM
If you've got Windows server, you'd just as well go with a domain controller.

Our "network drive" is a shared folder on the secretaries PC. No domain, so all userids and passwords have to be kept in sync on the various computers.

iamgap
1/30/2008 9:42:54 PM

Someone has convinced them that having a domain is insecure, as anyone with an account would be able to logon to any machine on the domain. While this is ture, file permissions can control who goes where. You can also control which machines a person can logon to. It's a bit of an uphill battle for an IT guy.

Right now, I still need to increase the OS partition to do anything.

Rick Everingham
1/31/2008 7:36:16 AM
We have the same basic policy, the most powerful pc is the projection pc, when we replace it, the old one gets handed down, usually to the secretary. We also run a Windows 2003 network, with a domain controller, however I am fortunate, our folks have a limited understanding of a network so they accept my word on it.

billiesur315
5/23/2008 7:45:41 PM
Our chuch has been using Ubuntu CE on all our computers (except for the projection computer. That we dual boot).
We do pass down our old projection computers to the pastor and secratary but we usually like to upgrade memory in those and instal a clean copy of Ubuntu before putting into use.
We also have a server that currently has Ubuntu 8.04 LTS installed and ubuntu has not let us down since the change from windows.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙