Tips & Tricks > Tips for Managing Song Database

mikepmoon
3/14/2008 5:28:42 PM

I'm about ready to purchase SSP for our church and while I like the ability to store songs and collections, it seems to me that this can get out of hand real easy.  For example, we might do the same song 4 times in a six month period and each time it is done differently...some verses are used, some aren't; verse order is different; and sometimes even the words are changed slightly. 

Do you keep a copy of each of these in the database for the "next" time this version is used or do you just change it for that program?  When you do create duplicate songs in the database, what types of naming conventions do you use.  Do you keep one collection that is "originals" only and save these others to a different source.

Thanks for any insight and tips for the above and other areas related to managing songs.

Mike
Cathedral of Praise
www.cathedralofpraise.org 

iamgap
3/14/2008 5:49:22 PM

We don't usually make many changes to our songs. The few that are changed will just have another verse added. We then change the verse order to match the need.

osborn4
3/14/2008 5:51:47 PM
If you are just changing the verse order and such, you can set a different verse sequence in the program for that song, leaving the default verse order in the song database.

If we have variations or additional verses, I add them to the main song in the database as additional verses or choruses and then insert them into the verse order in the program as necessary.

I hope that helps you understand how it can work.

markrief
3/17/2008 6:45:27 PM
#1 question from the band - "How did we that last time?"

I almost always make all text and verse order changes in the database. That way I always know how we did it last time. If we make a change, chances are we will keep the change for the future.

The only time I use a verse order in a program is when I know it is temporary. For example, we're using a long song in a short time space, so they want to skip a verse or something. This is not something I need to remember for next time.

Note there is a glitch - if the song is in the program, and you use edit song to change the verse order (in the database) I usually have to go to the program and set teh verse order to typical sequence to update the program.

Mark

Sam
5/3/2008 1:48:15 PM
How do you identify or change the name of the slide when using ssp with ppt. The display is not only words but the music as well?
Typically all you see is slide 1--- When its hidden it, reduces the number of slides in the presentation as well as the database.
Is cloning the song the best solution?

Sam
5/3/2008 1:55:38 PM
Posted By osborn4 on 03/14/2008 5:51 PM
If you are just changing the verse order and such, you can set a different verse sequence in the program for that song, leaving the default verse order in the song database.

If we have variations or additional verses, I add them to the main song in the database as additional verses or choruses and then insert them into the verse order in the program as necessary.

I hope that helps you understand how it can work.

How do you hide or delete a different verse and leave the song database with all the verses available for a different presentation? 

osborn4
5/3/2008 2:02:37 PM
I've never had to worry about the slide names within PowerPoint. I don't think you have any control over that inside of SSP.

If you were to use SlideShow Builder instead of Powerpoint, you could name the slides whatever you want.

Sam
5/4/2008 6:51:14 PM
Quick verse for the Scripture verses show the individual verses. All 1000 songs are in ppt. I was wondersing how I could do the same with ppt.

osborn4
5/5/2008 6:01:02 AM
If you turn on the program data inspercor (the magnifying glass on the top of the program panel on the right), you should get thumbnails of the PPT slides. I think that's about the best SSP could do with a PPT.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙