Tips & Tricks > Layout arrangements???

billiesur315
5/20/2008 12:30:37 PM
I Was looking into new arrangements of the screen.

One of the main thing i was debating was all caps lyrics or regular.

Another was where to put the credit and how.
Like the CCLI, copyright and author.

Any help or screenshots of what you have would be appreciated.

osborn4
5/20/2008 12:57:10 PM
All caps is very difficult to read, so I stay away from that.

I put the lyrics on the top 80% (or so) of the screen, then on the bottom, I put the title over the author, taking about 2/3 the width. Then I put the copyright with CCLI info on the right 2/3 of the bottom.

I also check the box in display properties that only puts those items on the first verse.

iamgap
5/21/2008 7:37:01 PM

We have our set about the opposite.
The Title is about 50% of the width, on the left, with the copywrite 50% on the right. This is above the lyrics. Because the First slide only option only works if you stay in sequence, we don't use that option. Not being able to use that real estate when the titile isn't displayed makes it unnecessary for us. We keep the font size consistent, at 22pt, and try to stay at four lines a slide. If the song is word, and doesn't break well, we will have six or seven lines. More than 8 overflows the screen. We have these settings to make it easier for the back row of the choir to see the confidence monitors.

osborn4
5/22/2008 7:16:24 AM
I am experimenting with adding an "Intro" part to the song, with just one space in the lyrics and having that as the first slide in the sequence.

That way I can put that up while the band is playing the intro to the song and go to the lyrics when appropriate. I really like the less cluttered look of not having all the title/author/copyright on the all the lyrics slides.

I'd like to just use the blank as the first piece, but then the title/author/copyright info never shows up. And that, of course, is a violation of the CCLI projection license.

I also have short people in the congregation complain if I don't put lyrics clear to the top of the screen.

Fortunately, SSP is flexible enough for most all our tastes. 

iamgap
5/22/2008 6:29:51 PM

We have chandeliers that partially block the screen from the back portion of the sancturary, so we have to keep the lyrics low. We could raise them to the proper level, but the the people that paid to have them installed wouldn't be able to worshiip.. err.. I mean see them. ;)

billiesur315
5/23/2008 7:39:48 AM
Thanks All those were helpful.
Yeah and I do agree with the whole having the copyright stuff on every slide.

This is what our format is currently and its exactly like that.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

akins
5/23/2008 8:04:24 AM
This is not a criticism, but just an observation: "experts" in this area say that centered text is more difficult to read than is left-justified text. Assuming that is correct, you might consider trading some symmetry for readability. I have gone from centered to left-justified text for the majority of our songs, slides, and scripture. Just a thought.

osborn4
5/23/2008 8:45:39 AM
I will left, center or right justify, depending on the background. Left justified may be easiest to read, but I think that with the small snippets of words, other justification is ok.

But I certainly wouldn't want to read War and Peace center justified.

And, one of the great things about SSP is that we can all make our own decisions about that.

billiesur315
5/23/2008 2:20:14 PM
Ok by listening to people and varying ideas This is what I came up with. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I'm not sure about the Left Justify. I think we will keep with center because of some of our backgrounds. I do agree with left being easier, but with a that has a frame type does not look good. Thanks.

skipg
2/23/2009 7:38:47 AM
As a new user, I can't claim much credit for this, but... A while back Karen39 suggested the "trick" of adding a "Verse 8" to the song and using that as the first slide. On that slide she displayed the copyright information.

This can be taken one step further by enhancing the layout template as follows:
  • Move the text box for the lyrics upward, so it's about 2/3 off screen
  • Move and size the Ttitle, Author, Reference and copyright boxes as desired
  • Slide the text box for lyrics back, and adjust so it fills the slide
  • On the Show tab, display title, etc on first slide only
  • Save as Preset
In the database, create a Verse 8 for the song and put it first in the order. (The verse has only a single space.

I then create a program level default format, using the preset. For the Doxology, which is only one slide, I set its display properties in the database to not use the title slide.

Here's what my title slide looks like:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

--skip

osborn4
2/23/2009 8:50:26 AM
Welcome aboard, Skip. And thanks for sharing.

With custom song parts, I'm adding a part called "Opening" that has no text and using it in the same way.

But I'm just leaving the title and info at the bottom of the screen, leaving the background graphic for the main part of the screen.

But for those that want a larger title screen, yours is certainly a good way to go.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙