Version 8.0 > Hiccups in v.8

dzink@nlcf.org
7/25/2013 8:49:59 AM
I downloaded the latest preview (7/10) and played around with our normal workflow a bit. Here's some initial notes.
  • The verse text previews (when mousing over a verse in Media Control) show up on the top left of the screen floating above the title bar and not over the verse button like they used to
  • Right click on a video file and “Set as background item for” doesn’t work (throws a general error message in the “Notices” section).
  • Changing the “Opening Screen” preference: when selecting an image, attempting to resize any part of the select file window or change the width of the folder list portion of the window throws a “range check error”
    • In the file selection window, changing from “List” to “Thumbnails” throws “Access violation at address 2546AA5C in module ‘rtcontrols.ocx’. Read of address 00000004.”
    • Mousing over a file in the selection window blacks out the file name (as if black text on a black background).
  • Indexes have to be built every time you start SongShow (not sure if this is because we're still using v.7 actively on this machine)
  • In Photo Slides builder started from SongShow, you can no longer select multiple non-contiguous slides by doing a Control + Click (in SongShow interface or Windows Explorer). Shift + Click works for contiguous in the SongShow dialog, but not using the Windows Explorer dialog.
    • Also, using the SongShow dialog shows the drive letters, but not the volume names. The Windows Explorer version shows the name. We have several mapped drives and pull content from network shares, so having the name in addition to the letter is very helpful.
    • Thumbnails show up along the top strip of the builder wizard, but there's no icon preview in the lower section (mousing over shows the name and they can be rearranged, but it’s a blank white box)
  • The margins/layout on existing slide shows are wrong. We have a three screen setup and on the old version a single screen image is automatically centered. Opening an existing slideshow shifts all the images to the left. Creating a new slideshow properly centers the images.
  • In Media Control window, rearranging the layout caused the “next slide” button to wrap and get stuck underneath the “play” button where it was not accessible. Only the top few pixels are visible.
  • I like the “Program panel automatically follows current program step” and “Show verses not included in the verse order” options. These are great!
_ Joel

George
8/7/2013 1:20:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback - I have taken a look at these - please see comments and questions below:

• The verse text previews (when mousing over a verse in Media Control) show up on the top left of the screen floating above the title bar and not over the verse button like they used to.

I assume you have this set to "Titles" vs "Slides" in the preferences control - is that correct?
This may have been corrected on the 7/31 build.
I set this up and the text appears right below the button.  This orientation may change depending on your control panel layout/config so I may need to get a screen shot of your layout to try and duplicate.  If you can also try changing your layout and see if the behavior changes that would give a good indication as well.  Update to the 7/31 and let us know...

• Right click on a video file and “Set as background item for” doesn’t work (throws a general error message in the “Notices” section).

Verified and added for resolution

• Changing the “Opening Screen” preference: when selecting an image, attempting to resize any part of the select file window or change the width of the folder list portion of the window throws a “range check error”
    • In the file selection window, changing from “List” to “Thumbnails” throws “Access violation at address 2546AA5C in module ‘rtcontrols.ocx’. Read of address 00000004.”
    • Mousing over a file in the selection window blacks out the file name (as if black text on a black background).

Verified these and added for resolution

• Indexes have to be built every time you start SongShow (not sure if this is because we're still using v.7 actively on this machine)

This may be due to new detection for corrupted song files.  Run the Tools > Database Utilities > SongShow Plus > Fix-up Song Titles tool and that should resolve that issue.  Let me know if it does not.

• In Photo Slides builder started from SongShow, you can no longer select multiple non-contiguous slides by doing a Control + Click (in SongShow interface or Windows Explorer). Shift + Click works for contiguous in the SongShow dialog, but not using the Windows Explorer dialog.

Verified this and added for investigation.

Also, using the SongShow dialog shows the drive letters, but not the volume names. The Windows Explorer version shows the name. We have several mapped drives and pull content from network shares, so having the name in addition to the letter is very helpful.

This is currently displayed as intended.  I have added this as a suggestion.

Thumbnails show up along the top strip of the builder wizard, but there's no icon preview in the lower section (mousing over shows the name and they can be rearranged, but it’s a blank white box)

This is actually a behavior we have seen for some time - even in SSP 7 - root cause is not clear but usually refreshing or other operation like rotating will restore the lower builder thumbnails.

• The margins/layout on existing slide shows are wrong. We have a three screen setup and on the old version a single screen image is automatically centered. Opening an existing slideshow shifts all the images to the left. Creating a new slideshow properly centers the images.

We are aware that some content that was auto centered is being pushed left and it is on the list of things to correct.

• In Media Control window, rearranging the layout caused the “next slide” button to wrap and get stuck underneath the “play” button where it was not accessible. Only the top few pixels are visible.

This should have been corrected in the 7/31 build.  Update and check this again.

• I like the “Program panel automatically follows current program step” and “Show verses not included in the verse order” options. These are great!

We are certainly glad you like these features.  Continue to explore - there are lot of other things to try...

Thanks for your feedback and interest in SSP 8.

dreece
8/7/2013 9:52:50 PM
The Opening Screen code is in flux and should be avoided at this time.

The problem with thumbnail images in the wizard has been addressed and should be fixed in the 7/31 build.

The request for names next to drive letters is a good one, and I thought that was happening. We'll look into it.

dzink@nlcf.org
8/15/2013 7:19:27 AM
Just downloaded the 8/8 version and did some quick testing.

At first glance most of the bugs seem to be fixed. The verse text previews display correctly now. Right-click and "set as background" is working correctly now. I still can't select non-contiguous items in the Photo slide show builder, but the image previews appear correctly now.

It also seems to load songs much faster than v.7 and overall feels quicker. We may try it out on a Sunday soon.

Thanks!

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙