Version 8.0 > Video Playback & PPT

chrismaca
8/5/2013 3:24:29 PM
Two issues I've noticed on the 31/7 build...

1. Video Playback is dropping frames but ssp7 plays them flawlessly.

2. using PPT makes ssp8 a bit laggy

George
8/6/2013 12:06:47 PM
Chris,
With regard to your issues:

Do you have SSP 7 and SSP 8 installed on the same or different systems?  If different, how does the system setup differ?  Is this true for all video types or just some?  Where, specifically, are you seeing this?  The presented output or in the preview windows? Are these being played from the database? Program? Slideshow?

2. using PPT makes ssp8 a bit laggy.

Can you clarify?  What part of SSP8 is laggy?  When/Where does this occur?  Does it go away after PPTs are complete?

Thanks

chrismaca
8/6/2013 4:59:01 PM

Do you have SSP 7 and SSP 8 installed on the same or different systems? 

Both on the same system. I've also tried it on another windows 7 machine (also has ssp7 on it)

If different, how does the system setup differ? 

Is this true for all video types or just some? 

The issue is with mp4(H.264)/m4v and mpg2. WMV seems to work without an issue.

I'm not using the h.264 plug in.

Where, specifically, are you seeing this?  The presented output or in the preview windows?

Presented output

Are these being played from the database? Program? Slideshow?

Program

2. using PPT makes ssp8 a bit laggy.

Can you clarify?  What part of SSP8 is laggy?  When/Where does this occur? 

Does it go away after PPTs are complete?

Actually I think I may have to retract my comment....

PPT only has issues when the offending videos have also been played

The issue being when displaying the first slide of a PPT, where SSP8 becomes unresponsive for a few seconds before displaying OR SSP8 crashes (non-responsive and doesn't recover)

On a side note, if I double click on the filename in the database, it plays the selected video in the program (not the video in the database as SSP7 does).

George
8/7/2013 10:28:15 AM
Chris,
Thanks for the info...

Unfortunately, we do not support H.264 playback if our plug-in is not used since we have no control over that method.  The MPEG part is interesting and we may be able to address that though my guess is that in order to get H.264 working you are using klite or some other codec pack - in general, installing these types of things are bad for SSP.  We are working on a more restrictive method of playback to avoid this conflict completely.

Regarding the PPT issue - if that is only in conjunction with the suspect video playback that might be the answer.  What version of PPT are you using?  Currently PPT 2013 is the preferred version.

Regarding the double click for file playback.  That was actually addressed once before but it seems to have crept back in with slightly different behavior.  I have confirmed the behavior and added that to be addressed.

chrismaca
8/7/2013 7:24:44 PM

I installed the codecs manually (not from a pack) and thinking about it I also am using an external mpg2 codec (as SSP doesn't support non-sqaure pixels). So that might explain problems with mpg2.

I hope you can still look into the external codec issue as I am faced with different codecs (not just H.264) that SSP8 doesn't natively play, and hardly ever have the time to convert them. This will probably be a deal breaker for us...SSP7 plays all formats perfectly utilising external codecs and allows us to play anamorphic mpg2s.

As for PPT, we use 2010, however we will be upgrading to 2013 in the next few months.

dreece
8/7/2013 9:54:45 PM
You can set SSP to use the system installed video components (option B in the Video Settings window). It sounds like this is the option you need to use. By default, SSP 8.0 will only use video components that we have tested and support (option A).

chrismaca
8/8/2013 3:14:40 AM
Hey Doug,

I had already changed to option B. The problem is that it seems any videos played via option B (using external codecs) keeps on dropping frames while they play perfectly on SSP7 on the same machine also using option B.

Chris

George
8/8/2013 9:35:26 AM
... I am faced with different codecs (not just H.264) that SSP8 doesn't natively play, and hardly ever have the time to convert them...
Thanks for the additional info Chris.

Can you please elaborate on the other video types that you are trying to play that require additional external codecs?

Our intent is to play all common standard video types and it is our impression that, with the addition of the H.264 support plug-in, we do.  In some cases we are aware of some bugs (the anamorphic issue is documented) but the intention is the same.

Thanks again.

chrismaca
8/9/2013 5:45:39 AM

H.264 and anamorphic mpg2 are the most common.

I have received/played new videos in the codecs below in the last 2 weeks:

DV/DVC

FLV

FMP4 (FFmpeg mp4)

Used in the last 12 months:

Divx

The other reason I like to use the external codecs is the ability to shift the audio sync if needed. Would be a great feature to have in SSP.

Is the H.264 still limited by audio codecs?

chrismaca
8/9/2013 5:58:03 AM
Oh, and .mkv extension would be nice to have as well :)

chrismaca
8/13/2013 2:10:32 AM
Checked one of our other licensed machines...

Add Xvid to the list of commonly received videos

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙