Version 5.5 > Transition problems with multi-part verses

elem3nt
10/28/2005 9:48:35 PM
Hello,

I'm having a few problems with multipart verses and transitions. I have selected the transition as "fade (500ms)" in the gobal display properties box. Also, under Tools -> Preferences -> Song Transitions, I have selected to "use the fade transition" "when displaying multipart verses AND a transition is specified." The problem is that I usually can only get the verse parts to fade whenever I click a green diamond and then use the "+" key to move to the next part. I can sometimes get the parts to use the fade transition by clicking the "next step" button, but all other times the verse parts use no transitions, making them seem out of place among the fade transitions. As a temporary workaround, I've spread the verse text over several verses, because the transition always works when going from verse to verse.

Any thoughts?

David Migl

Blairness
10/31/2005 4:48:16 AM
THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO INFLUENCE A DECISION ON WHETHER TO PURCHASE SSP OR NOT, PLEASE DO NOT USE IT IN THIS WAY. ALTHOUGH IT OUTLINES WAYS SSP COULD BE IMPROVED, IT FAILS TO MENTION THE FAR MORE NUMEROUS GOOD POINTS ABOUT THE SOFTWARE.

Sorry can't help, but I do know what you mean.

I was having a similar problem and contacted SSP people about it. I got varied responses, and still don't really know what the "fade transition" is (not to mention how it differs from the "specified transition", and why you can't use it for verses) . I also think some of the options under Tools -> Preferences shouldn't be there (the "Song Transition" option being one of them). It took me a while to find Tools -> Preferences, because that just doesn't seem the logical place to have some of the options that are in there. I think the "Song Transition" option would be better placed in the "display properties -> transition" tabs.

Anyway, in the mean time I fixed my problem by simply selecting "use no transition" (or whatever it is) for both the verses and pages [pages - the parts of a multipart verse]. This means the transition I select in the "global display properties" is only used between items (not between verses or pages). I found this is the only way I can get all transitions to work uniformly all the time (well, kind of: There is still the issue of having a delay before the transition starts between verses, and not having a delay between pages; and when you start adding in other items like powerpoints and videos you never really know what the transitions will do!)

After all that rant, I hope one of the SSP developers reads this!

Blair
(I do like SSP, honestly! There are a lot more good points than ones that can be improved - HOWEVER, telling software developers how good their software is, won't improve it. telling them the problems with it, will)

Lee
10/31/2005 9:04:46 AM
Posted By Blairness on 10/31/2005 4:48 AM
... After all that rant, ...

Offering suggestions for relocating menuitems need not be a rant. But I consider the issue subjective and somewhat minor, though you are right in that it does make it easier to find if all entries are where most users expect to find them.

Regarding song page transitions, you are right and song page transitions should probably be revisted. The settings of page transitions could be clearer and should function exactly as one would expect.

Perhaps there could be two Right Click > Edit Display Properties > Transition settings for Song items, one Display Properties > Item Transition for the transition into the program item, and another Display Properties > Page Transition for all subsequent displayed pages within the same item (song). Display > Edit Display Properties > Display Properties: Global should function analogously. The Tools > Preferences > Song Preferences could possibly be removed.

That's the easy part. Now, someone has to make it all work that way...

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙