Version 8.0 > Error

ucclighthouse
8/10/2013 2:39:38 PM
We are running a Windows 7 machine, with v7.  We downloaded v8 release 8/8/13 for our first test of v8.  Install went with NO errors.  Verified the file fine, installed fine, absolutely no issues.  Reboot to be safe, and run the program.  We get the error:  Unable to initialize SongShow Plus.  Reason:  Cannot create ISearchManager with CLSID_CSearchManager.

We checked and made sure that we had all the Win 7 updates, re-downloaded the file and tried a repair install.  No luck.  Unistalled v8, rebooted, reinstalled v8, reboot, same error.

Any advice would be appreciated!

ucclighthouse
8/15/2013 1:17:07 PM
Could this be related to the V7 video database which was moved to a separate drive?

George
8/19/2013 6:25:45 PM
Sorry for the delay...

I did some digging into this and it appears that this is caused by the absence of the Windows Search mechanism.

Windows Search is an integral part of SSP 8 and the service needs to be running properly for SSP 8 to work.

Check your Window services and look for Windows Search.  Make sure this service is running.  If it is not, start it (admin rights are required for this) and try SSP again.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks,

dreece
8/20/2013 7:25:11 AM
I should clarify this: The current SSP preview build assumes that WDS is running. We'll add a check to a future build so that if WDS is not running, SSP will revert to the older way of scanning directories. WDS is not going to be a requirement. However, it is beneficial because with WDS you get faster searches and additional metadata about the media files in your folders.

ucclighthouse
8/25/2013 6:30:23 AM
Hectic week, sorry for the delayed feedback. Windows Search is indeed disabled. Enabling it temporarily, did allow SSP to load. Understanding that WDS does speed up searches when it is on, the flipside is I have experienced a slow down in the read/write times of the hard drives with WDS on. So, I do appreciate the ability for the program to change in the next version!!

Thank you!

dreece
8/29/2013 6:28:34 PM
The 8/22 build checks for WDS, and if it is not available, it will default to the older directory-scan method of finding files -- so the problem is fixed in that build.

I'm curious about the nature of the slow down you experienced with Windows Search enabled. The effect that Windows Search has on the system should only occur when files are modified and, even then, it backs off when it detects the user is interacting with the system. Overall, it seems to me that enabling Windows Search is a good thing.

ucclighthouse
9/1/2013 6:46:06 AM
What I experienced, and last week was a great example. I started the system, turned on Windows Search, started SSP 8 and played with it a bit. No problems. Then I closed SSP 8 and opened 7 to prep for the service. Leaving Windows Search on. The system started up and ran the opening still slide with no issues, but on the first full motion background hesitated during playback. Eventually, during that first full motion background, it hung the entire SSP 7 system and forced a system restart. When I rebooted and shut off the indexing, the system ran flawlessly.

On low end systems, the Windows Search experience may differ and I get that...but a note about the system:
i7-3820 on a ASRock X79 Extreme4 motherboard, 16 GB DDR3 Ram. Dual AMD 6870 2 gb GPU's. Main drive is a SSD, with 3 - 2 TB WD Black drives as support. One WD supplies the video and service related materials. A second one is a live backup of the SSD and the video drive. The third is setup as a capture drive, dedicated to capturing video and audio. The entire thing is rackmounted into a rolling case as we are a portable church.

I'm more than willing to work with you to see if there is another cause. What you guys learn now only improves everyone's overall experience, so let me know what I can do to help!

dreece
9/2/2013 2:35:42 PM
When you say "hung the entire SSP 7 system" do you mean that the machine completely stopped responding -- no mouse movement, no keyboard response, alt-tab doesn't work, can't get to Task Manager, etc?

ucclighthouse
9/3/2013 5:42:47 AM
SSP 7 - the motion background hung while I was still able to utilize my web browser. Then the entire system ended up hanging, with no response of mouse/keyboard.

dreece
9/3/2013 3:37:52 PM
There's nothing that Windows Search does that should lock up a system. Turning it off is simply avoiding a symptom. Based on this description, my suspicion is a driver or hardware problem.

ucclighthouse
9/22/2013 6:39:36 AM
Good morning! After some testing, here is what we have discovered is happening with our SSP 8 system. Our 4 monitor display setup functions as:

Display 1 - Projection Screen
Display 2 - Stage Monitor
Display 3 - Control Window
Display 4 - Aux 'second' monitor which displays anything from web pages to the audio control board

On our first setup, we left out the stage monitor in the display settings. We took a previous week, and played it back. What would happen is that motion backgrounds would lag and eventually stop moving. BUT the entire SSP system was fully functional and bizarrely if we switched to a blank slide the display within the program changed, but the projection screen stayed hung on the motion background.

Second setup we added the stage monitor and ran the same program. This time SSP did not hang the motion backgrounds, but it did make them lag severely.

Without being sure, we switched to a brand new GPU thinking that it might be something related to that. The system still reacted the same way in both configurations, but in the second configuration the entire system was left to run for a longer period of time and did experience a full system hang (non-responsive to keyboard and mouse interaction, and the motion background completely stopped moving).

George
9/23/2013 1:27:40 PM
Please take a look at the system resources, specifically memory and CPU utilization.

Are you seeing an accumulation of memory the longer it runs or any really high cpu utilization?

What are you using for the motion backgrounds?

We would like to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks

ucclighthouse
9/23/2013 1:54:37 PM
The backgrounds are from ShiftWorship - HD MPEG-1. They sit on their own HDD separate from the control window.

That was what I thought too...so I took a look at the system resources, and didn't notice any spikes in usage. But to be fair, I will double check and post back with the results (may be a day or two). Anything you'd else you'd like me to check at the same time?

Thank you!

ucclighthouse
10/6/2013 8:56:49 AM
Sorry for the long delay... Here is what I am currently seeing:

SSP 8 is running, CPU usage is sitting at 0 - 5%
Memory is sitting at 16337 Total, 9663 Cached, 12107 Available, 2702 Free
Kernel Memory 1107 Paged and 200 NonPaged

The main display is completely frozen and SSP is completely unresponsive.

I am taking the entire system with me this week, so if you have further questions / would log in remotely and take a look feel free to let me know!

Thank you!

George
10/7/2013 11:07:50 AM
Drew,
I pulled your info from the SSPlash account and will send you an email directly.

In this case is sounds like we need to get your content to test against but a remote may help as well. we can discuss further offline.

Thanks,

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙