Tips & Tricks > Margin Lines for Lyrics

jgarcia
9/17/2008 11:57:54 AM
I would love to see margin lines in the Song Properties/Lyrics. I know that there is a a global display setting to automaticly format the lyrics and word wrap, but if I wanted to custom layout for the lyrics and knowing where the word moves to the nest line before actuall preview would be great.  Other wise its constant right click\edit song\song properties\lyrics and fix. Or you will end up with 6 words on line 1 and one word on line 2, ect.

Let me know what you think. 

Jodstar
11/12/2008 10:14:52 PM
Hi there.
i found that the screen width of the words on the projector was the same place approx where the S on the end of the notes tab is, (when u draw an invisible line down the screen) when you are in the song edit mode.
Usually about 7-8 words max across by 8 lines max. This is what works for us, at 17 point for the writing size.

hope that makes sense.

osborn4
11/13/2008 6:20:42 AM
We don't use wrap, but shrink font and keep consistent.

Then, as I run through the songs, I will see which ones had to shrink too much, figure out which lines are too long and then go in and manually break those lines, to they are broken in more logical places.

icarusforde
11/17/2008 11:51:36 PM
yeah , we break down the songs into a couple more verses - normally two verses for one. it works for us

osborn4
11/18/2008 6:28:46 AM
Posted By icarusforde on 11/17/2008 11:51 PM
yeah , we break down the songs into a couple more verses - normally two verses for one. it works for us
If you are needing to break a verse because there are too many lines, you should look into using page breaks.

In the display properties for the lyrics, you set from a verse at a time to a page at a time. Then edit the song and press cntl-enter where you want to insert the page break.

We've found this less confusing than explaining that verse 1 is verse 1 and verse 2 and verse 2 is verse 3 and 4, etc.

coalcityum
12/4/2008 4:40:39 PM
As soon as I found out how to use the page breaks, I was in love!!! Now I only have a maximum of four lines on the screen at anyone time. Now I just wish that I can throw a blank slide in there in the middle of a verse. I use the grow/shrink to fit and don't even bother with the text wrap.

Most songs have a logical coupling of a few words. At that cadance, that is where is break the line. It helps to be able to read music when you breaking lines. Sing the song and make sure the line by itself makes a little since. You don't want to break

the line in the middle of

the sentence.

This just works for us.

osborn4
12/5/2008 6:27:34 AM
Posted By coalcityum on 12/04/2008 4:40 PM
Now I just wish that I can throw a blank slide in there in the middle of a verse.
If you want a blank slide in the middle of a verse, and you are using page by page, rather than maximum lines per screen,
you can do this.

Edit the song and after the first page break, insert another line with a space and another page break. And this will put screen in the middle of the verse.

If you are using maximum lines per screen, then there is no way to put a blank in the middle in the verse sequence. You're operator will have to do that manually. If they use the + key to come back to the lyrics after using the clear display toggle to take the words off, SSP will show the next verse/page from where it left off.

I've found that songs with few words will blow up too big for my taste. So I set the font to be the largest size I would want and then just use shrink to fit.

But if both work for your church, that's great. That's why there are options.

I also use the option to keep a consistent size within a song. I find that, well, more consistent and less distracting.

wbub
1/3/2009 12:46:13 PM

I used to use page-by-page mode, with page breaks in the middle of a verse. This had two disadvantages: 1. If you show title, author, etc. on first slide only, it shows for both pages of the first slide. 2. You cannot jump to the second half of a verse directly; you must be on the first half, and advance with the plus key, or another "next" button.
   But with a recent release, you now have the ability to name song parts anything you want. So I am renaming such parts "V1a" and "V1b." That way, you still know that both parts are part of Verse 1, and they are listed separately in the verse order. I also often name a part "Break", with nothing on it except one space. Although there is a "blank slide" automatically available in every song, it does not show in the song list, even if your setup shows all song parts, including those not in the verse order. "Break" will show, allowing its selection if the team goes into a break you weren't expecting. (If you leave the song and go to a blank slide, and then come back to the song, the "first slide only" objects are redisplayed.) 

akins
1/3/2009 5:51:58 PM
Posted By wbub on 01/03/2009 12:46 PM

.... "Break" will show, allowing its selection if the team goes into a break you weren't expecting. (If you leave the song and go to a blank slide, and then come back to the song, the "first slide only" objects are redisplayed.) 

You might also consider using the "Clear Display Toggle" (* on the keypad). That will remove the text and then return it; or your can click on whatever verse or chorus you want up after the break. I find using the * very convenient when you want to quickly remove text. The text fades in and out out at a speed determined by "tools/preferences/mute-clear display."

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙