Tips & Tricks > Best Practices of Organizing Videos

tbryant
9/30/2008 9:05:31 AM
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to organize folders of videos. Do you do it by color? By theme? By creator?

osborn4
9/30/2008 10:02:35 AM
We haven't done a good job of organizing our yet. We basically have the creator ones that come with SSP, then Abstract and Other Backgrounds.

Then I have Clips, Christmas and Easter.

Rick Everingham
9/30/2008 11:52:16 AM
Mine are by theme, Easter, Christmas, Patriotic and so on.

osborn4
9/30/2008 12:29:48 PM
You can adjust the colors in SSP, so there is no real need to sort that way.

The exception would be background improv, where you can't adjust the colors and if you want to improv from blue to blue, it might be helpful to sort that way.

Rick Everingham
9/30/2008 1:37:39 PM
<<<<< is confused (which is normal)

tbryant
9/30/2008 1:44:40 PM
My first pass looked something like this (keep in mind we use SSP for everything in the service):

INCOMING

PRE-POST SERVICE
>Countdowns
>Backgrounds

WORSHIP
>Standard
>>Backgrounds
>Special
>Seasonal
>>Easter
>>Christmas

SERMON
>Backgrounds
>Clips
>>InHouse-Short Clip
>>Illustration-Movie Clip
>>Scripture

SPECIAL
>Baptism
>>Backgrounds
>>Clips
>Communion
>>Backgrounds
>>Clips
>Wedding
>>Backgrounds
>>Clips
>Funeral
>>Backgrounds
>>Clips

akins
9/30/2008 3:37:16 PM
I don't have so many videos that I have to worry about organization, but, images, that a different story -- over 7000! I guess my preference would be to have folders for backgrounds, for example, and sub-folders for pre-service, worship, sermon, baptism, etc. You may, and probably do, have backgrounds which will work for more than one part of the service and those you could leave under the backgrounds directory and not in a sub-directory. You've probably figured out what works well for you. Good luck.

KBlack
3/1/2009 8:53:47 PM

We have LOTS of Videos and Images...
I've organized them into one big Videos folder with some subfolders such as:

- Christmas - self explanatory
- Easter - again easy to explain
- Countdowns - so I don't accidentally play one as a motion background!
- FlexxSongs - which are a new and wonderful tool!
- Sermon - Any video clips that could be used as a sermon illustration
- GT - Our church name, so anythig we've made to show
- Movies - anything else that is played, such as clips from movies or tv shows.

All the rest are in alphabetical order in the main Videos folder.

To find them in there, I have gotten into the habit from the beginning of my work with SSP to name everything in a way that explains what is it.

So for example, a motion background video that is blue with some falling stars becomes "blue-starsfalling.mpg" OR "waves-crashingonshore.mpg" etc etc
That way if the colour is dominant, I can find all the blues or purples together, or if the main focus is waves or sunsets, they are all in order, too.

That my 3 cents!
~ Kirsten B.

adeneb
8/16/2009 3:27:08 PM

I too have alot of video and images too many to even try to count at this point. I massed these over the last 6 years using Media Shout:

Folders:

Animals, Borders, candles, Christmas, Clouds and Sky, Cross Backgrounds, Crowns, Countdowns, (which I don’t need anymore tee hee)

Easter, Fire, Goofy stuff,(explain later) Loose jpg, Media Videos, Mountain scenes, Music Videos, Newmarket, (Our church logo's and us related paraphernalia )Ocean stuff, Passion pics, patriotic, People, praise and Prayer, Space stuff, Water, winter, and Youth.

The Goofy stuff folder used to be where I would use a non specific image for what ever reason it was needed at the time but I realized this was getting harder to quickly find stuff in a pinch. I started making still and video folders list by year.

One headache I have now is that when I need to use something I already have in my system SS+ needs to copy it into its own folder instead of just linking to the source. If I continue to use MS it will let me move those folders to the SS+ folders but I have to tell the MS preferences where I have moved them to. I don’t have enough HD storage to have multiple copies of the same videos and stuff. Speaking from a Windows file structure standpoint the O.S. doesn't like having allot of files buried six folders deep before getting to media (IMHO) I will probably wish for the ability to point to other folders a little closer to the root drive to expedite loading and drop possible lag.

Aaron R Deneb

Newmarket Baptist Church

Media, Lighting, Youth, and Properties.

osborn4
8/16/2009 3:40:48 PM
I have my stuff in c:\data on our production computer. c:\data\images, c:\data\videos, etc.

In SSP,go to Tools->Utilities. Select Data Files Setup. Click next then you'll probably want to select option A to move the data to the drive and path of your choice.

adeneb
8/17/2009 4:08:15 PM
Thanks osborn4, I had done this before and had issues with SS+ not operating right (missing operating files-had to reinstall) I did it again and this time every thing works except for the part w h e r e v i d e o ' s a r e t a k i n g f o r e v e r t o p l a y. sad face

osborn4
8/18/2009 9:20:10 AM
Location of the video files shouldn't impact playback, unless it's over the network.

Lucas
2/22/2010 4:40:41 AM
I just call the folder by their collection name. I have a pretty good memory when it comes to remembering what background is in where. FYI, my videos folder alone is in excess of 100gb.
My structure looks like this (This is the abridged version)

/Videos
/ /Clouds and Skies
/ /Countdowns
/ /Digital Hotcakes
/ /Digital Juice
/ / /HD01_highTECH&INTERNET
/ / /HD11_maximumIMPACT
/ / /HD12_baseCAMP
/ / /HD15_tunnelVISIONII
/ / /HD19_baseCAMPII
/ / /HD20_ethereal
/ / /HD22_simpleTHOUGHTS
/ / /HD24_allPARTICLES
/ / /HD28_highIMPACTx
/ / /Stock
/ /EyeDrops_Vol_6

yelhca07
6/23/2010 3:54:59 PM
Hello,

At my church we like to keep things always "new"... We use a different set of backgrounds every week (whether it's images, videos, etc.). Our folder are organized by year, then by month. We keep all the files for each month in that folder, including preaching logos, slideshows, etc.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙