Tips & Tricks > PowerDVD 7 on second display

iamgap
1/27/2009 6:26:50 PM

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to turn on the Dual Display option with PowerDVD 7.

As a work-around, I set display 2 as the primary display. This worked, but has a few quirks. You have to train WinXP to open new windows on the secondary monitor by doing something that opens in a windows, drag the window to the secondary monitor, and then close the window. You have to do this without actually using the window until you open it again, and it opens on the monitor that isn't projected. If you are an Alt+Tab'r, the selection bar will display on the primary monitor. I don't think there is a way to prevent this, so no more Alt+Tab. Anything that defaults to the primary monitor will be projected, which is what makes PowerDVD display on monitor 2.

Now that I can get audio to play with video in SSP, I don't need this option. But it is there for anyone else that has this need.

BTW: no changes needed to be made in SSP with the primary swap, as SSP uses monitor 1 and 2 instead of Primary and Secondary.

PS: If I changed the Resolution (and back), with monitor 2 as the secondary, Powere DVD would play, but the next playlist item wouldn't display until I did the Resolution change again.

osborn4
1/27/2009 7:34:13 PM

icarusforde
2/14/2009 3:09:57 PM
we use a program called UltraMon, with which you can specify the screens you want specific programs to open on. So we have powerdvd open on monitor 2, and then we move the control system back onto screen one with a key combination that you can also program into ultramon.
we normally set that up before the service, and then just kill the programat the end of the dvd to avoid the ugly powerdvd splash screen at the end....

The other thing about ultramon that i love is the ability to have any program linked to hotkeys - like SSP = Ctrl+Alt+S, powerpoint = Ctrl+Alt+P, etc. Change screens is Ctrl+Alt+arrow keys, and you can lock the mouse to a certain monitor to prevent a mouse on screen at a bad time....

Hope some of this has helped.

iamgap
2/15/2009 8:33:22 AM

Good stuff.

Did you know that you can position your dual monitors in the Windows Display settings? We have ours set to meet at the corners. This makes it so that there is only one entry point between the two monitors.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙