Tips & Tricks > Windows 7 64bit version

fbcnanaimo
8/3/2009 8:44:04 AM
Hi Everyone, Or media machine crashed 6 weeks ago. It was giving us signs of its demise. The motherboard lost all of its USB ports. The cpu only ran at 20% the next week. Anyhow, we have purchased and install a new machine that is beyond the SPEC’s and support of Song Show Plus. However I want to relay our success to the SSP community and to SSP Support Team. Out System Intel I7 Quad Core 6 GB Ram Nvidea 285 Video card with 1GB -other or more detail hardware information is available if you want. Windows 7 Release Candidate 64 Bit Version SSP 7 Latest Release (May09?) Online Bible Office 2003 Pro During the first few times of firing up the program, everything worked GREAT. One of the times SSP was closing down, a popup message in windows 7 came up and said that the program has tried to do something that improper (me a dummy, forgot to write exactly what it said down), however it also said that it would fix this problem by running the SSP program in XP mode. (I said yes). This problem was fixed. Only once in the 6 weeks, (probably 30 to 40 times) we ran the program and it didn’t fire the words or anything to the second monitor. We closed he program and ran it again and it worked fine. As you can imagine, SSP Screams in Quad Core 3GHz 6GB Ram on Raid Hard drives. The only thing that still LAGS is PowerPoint. And Yes again, when I stop all programs and go to the task manager, PowerPoint is still in the processes, and usually at 200-300 MB or ram. (I Really am disliking Powerpoint now!) Please ask any questions, or have me try something out on the system if you would like. It has been running our services at church now for 5-6 weeks without a hitch.

fbcnanaimo
8/3/2009 8:53:38 AM
Forgot to mention, we bought a 24 inch LCD that rotates into portrait for the SSP control screen. WOW, AMAZING!. having SSP at a resolution of 1200 x 2080 (or something very close to that) is outstanding. Every sub window of SSP is in full view without a scroll bar. We can see the whole program and highlight any song and see the whole song in the investigator without scroll (most of the time). I would recommend this TOWER setup of a monitor.

osborn4
8/4/2009 9:56:13 AM
I love the idea of a large monitor in portrait orientation. The only thing better would be to add a touch screen on it. ;)

Powerpoint is a hog. I don't know if PPT 2007 would work better for you or not.

Cricket357
8/14/2009 3:15:19 PM

I too have been testing SSP on Win7 (x86, not x64) with great success, despite using a pretty substandard system for the overhead. Gateway m675 laptop with 3.4GHz, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI, 80GB 5.4K HDD. The only compatibility issue I have run across so far was with Online Bible; it wouldn't install without compatibility mode, and then I REALLY had to work my NKJV update into it. My production machine is also breathing its final breaths, so I have purchased an upgraded set of hardware (not quite what you are going to, though) and I am seriously considering going straight to Win7 x64 RC on the reinstall and purchasing the software when the official release comes out in October.

I do have one question for you: have you tried the DVD import feature yet? On my production machine I don't currently use it because we have another powerful solution for that; I'm just curious in case I might change my mind.

P.S. - I have also come to despise MS Powerpoint on SSP ... I wonder if they have looked into integrating with open source options ...

osborn4
8/14/2009 3:30:36 PM
Have you changed your PPT module in SSP to Powerpoint control, rather than SSP control (which is the default). Making that one change makes PPT much more palatable in SSP.

Cricket357
8/14/2009 4:26:23 PM

Yes, moving to PPT control was one of the troubleshooting steps I took, but to no avail. After replacing the HW, I am considering giving it another go ... who knows?! For now at least, I am pleased with SSP slideshows.

osborn4
8/14/2009 4:55:32 PM
I, too, have switched to SSP slide shows.

I didn't like the flash of SSP background (black in my case) at the beginning of the slide show. And I didn't like the "End of Slide Show" appearing at the end of an PPT slide show. And I wasn't real please with how long they took to load. But I did find that I could cue large PPTs before showing and they would fire quicker.

BillinghamJ
12/20/2009 12:00:55 PM
PPT+SSP=Epic fail.

fritzman
12/20/2009 12:14:47 PM
Could the 'lagging' be related to the size of the pictures you are using in the slideshow?

How does it function with a ppt show of say 2 slides, with 1 x picture in it? If it doesn't lag for that, then it would seem to point to that as the issue.

If that is possible (how big are the ppt files you are using?)... there is a crop tool and a compress tool available within ppt that minimises the size of the pictures used.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙