Version 5.5 > V4 Range Check Error?

mdolan
11/28/2005 4:31:55 PM
Hi all,

I've recently been given the honour of becoming the "responsible" person for the Words PC in our church. Things have been running quite happily on SongShow V4 with the odd little bug surfacing and quickly being swatted away. However, I've encountered an "interesting" problem and I'm wondering if anyone could shed any light.

Basically, we have Songshow linked to our old software (Worship Software 2). What I'm trying to do is export all our hymns out of WS2 and into the native Songshow Plus format.

This has proven to be quite easy - I've managed to decode the SongShow file formats successfully (which means I can also run some useful reports) and I've managed to write a nice windows script which converts everything across.

The problem is that when I rebuild the Songshow indexes I am now getting a "Range Check Error". I'm fairly sure it's not a coding issue - I suspect I've hit some form of limit for the number of songs that Songshow V4 can handle.

The error seems to hit after appox 1800 songs. The songs themselves all appear to work fine and can be used in smaller batches, so I know they are not corrupted.

Unfortunately we can't upgrade Songshow to a later version as the PC won't handle it, and it would also require a considerable amount of time and co-ordination to train the other operators to another version.

Current version: Songshow 4.0 Release 5.0

Suggestions welcomed

Cheers,
Mike

nusyo
11/29/2005 1:04:35 AM
I experienced that error too ("Out of memory") in SSP 5.3 (5.5 too) ... and yes it has to do with the number of songs SSP can handle.
I solved the issue by installing the "User Database" module which allows you to have multiple different song databases which uses microsoft format. You will lose the feature to specify display properties for each individual song, but it is worth it.

However I don't know if the promodule works with V4 .... but that would be the only solution I know ..... or if you're using like 256MB RAM, you could add another 256MB .... maybe that would help ....

mdolan
11/29/2005 3:55:55 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've tried transferring the database to one of my test machines (2GB Ram) available, but still get the same error so I think that rules out buying more RAM for the church PC

Currently we use Songshow in a fairly simplistic format so losing display properties for individual songs would not affect us.

Can anyone shed more light on the idea of using the User Database Promodule with V4 - does it work? Or if anyone has found a way to get round the Range Check Error, that would be even better!

Many thanks for all your help,

Mike

nusyo
12/4/2005 1:50:27 AM
since few still use V4 (if anyone is ...) you might want to give it a try to USer Database module on one of your test machines and see if it is compatible with V4 .... if it is, then you're saved ... if not ... you might want to upgrade to Ver 5 and use the basic of it (just like u said you do now with V4)

osborn4
12/4/2005 8:27:38 AM
The trouble is, if he's still on v. 4, then he probabably does not have an active promodule membership and so cannot download any promodules

I think his only option at this point is to contact Tech Support and see if they still offer any support for v.4.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙