Version 5.5 > Multi-Monitor Display Problems

wiegy
12/2/2005 7:02:04 AM
Hello...we have a multi-monitor display issue that has me stumped...

We currently have an ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 AGP 256MB Graphics Card
installed on our computer that runs Songshow...We use dual monitors
for our display (one for the normal computer display, one that shows
what is being projected)

We want to also feed some TVs that are in the foyer with the
announcements and/or song lyrics (basically clone the projected
display)...

I can get a display on the main computer and the projector system or
the main computer and the foyer tv's but not all three at the same
time...

Is there a way to have the normal computer display, the songshow
projection display, and a tv display (a cloned display of the
projection display)

Do I need to install a PCI Video card in addition to the AGP I have?

If so, will I be able to clone a screen off of the original video
card?

I hope this makes sense, it's hard to explain everything within
these contexts..

By the way, we are using an RF modulator to feed the TVs in the
foyer...

Any suggestions would be greatful,

Mike Wielgus, Jr.
Media Director
Suburban Baptist Church

iamgap
12/2/2005 9:48:12 AM
The card manufacturers do not support more than two displays. If you need a third option, you will need a distribution amplifier (DA) and a convertor that will convert the video to NTSC format. I purchased a device that I was able to put inline (between the monitor and the DA) that enabled me to put the projection image on TVs, but then the church decided that the tvs would be an obstruction.

gap

Blairness
12/2/2005 5:33:01 PM
On the course I did last year we had computers that output different video to each of 3 different monitors off one video card. It had dual DVI outputs.
- One output just had a DVI-VGA converter and that ran one LCD monitor.
- The other output had a short adapter cable coming off it, that had VGA and composite video. The VGA went to another LCD monitor, and the composite video went to a TV.
The two LCD monitors were used for the desktop etc. for double the area. Because the computers were used for video editing, the TV's showed any video that you were playing.

I don't know what kind of card they had, but it would be very useful for a church setup! Mind you, I don't know what kind of configuration options you would have (especially with the composite video).

jlowery
12/4/2005 6:03:30 AM

If you want the foyer monitor to show exactly what is on the projector and if both the projector and the foyer monitor work on the same graphic card output,

connect a "Y" cable to the graphic card output
connect the projector cable to one leg of the Y-cable
connect the foyer monitor to the other leg of the Y-cable.

Keep in mind that if you freeze or shutter the projector the foyer monitor will not be affected, it will continue to show the output of the graphic card.

Lee
12/8/2005 8:12:13 AM
Posted By wiegy on 12/02/2005 7:02 AM
I can get a display on the main computer and the projector system or
the main computer and the foyer tv's but not all three at the same
time...

Is there a way to have the normal computer display, the songshow
projection display, and a tv display (a cloned display of the
projection display)

Do I need to install a PCI Video card in addition to the AGP I have?
Yes, what you want to do is fairly standard among many churches. You do not need an additional video card.

You can't get both signals to work simultaneously because the output signal is not strong enough. What we and many other churches use is a VGA distribution amplifier. Since the output circuitry of a video card is designed to drive only one monitor at a short distance, an amplifier is used to replicate and amplify the VGA signal from your video card to drive more than one output VGA device over long cables. We send one VGA output signal to the projector. A second VGA output signal is made available for distribution to TV monitors throughout the building. We take that second VGA signal and down-convert it to composite video using a scan converter. In your case the RF modulator performs a similar function (your signal to the TV's is RF which requires the TV to be on channel 3 and ours is composite video which requires TV's to be on its video input).

I just bought two new Kramer VP-400N VGA distribution amplifiers for $128 each (the VP-400 is $100) that drive four VGA outputs; either model will do what you seem to need done. Use one output to go to the projector. Use a second output to go to your RF modulator. Use a third output to go to a VGA monitor located by your computer, if desired.

By the way, if you add too many TV's on your RF modulator, simply get another one and connect it to the fourth VGA amplifier output.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙