Version 9.0 > AntiVirus users - False Positive from the scanner

George
10/8/2019 8:35:16 AM
It has come to our attention that at least a few users have encountered an issue where SSP 9.0 has stopped working with a message regarding a missing dll file, specifically sspcf.dll.  It appears that file and possibly others are being incorrectly caught up the the Avast heuristic scanner and being flagged as bad.  This had been confirmed as false and reported to Avast by another user.  
We do see this occur from time to time with several different AV software packages and eventually they will update them to resolve the issue.

If this does occur you should be able to set an exception for the SSP folders and restore the files from Avast.  Once this is done SSP 9.0 should work as expected.

If anyone sees this behavior they can also report it to Avast.

If anyone gets a similar report or behavior from another AV software please let us know so that we can follow up on it.

Thanks.

emve
10/9/2019 3:07:52 AM
I also encountered the problem with SSP 9 preview SspSetup.9.0.2.10918.0. Every time I tried to install it, Avast keeps on quarantining the file C:\Program Files (x86)\R-Technics\SongShow Plus 9.0\Bin\sspcf.dll

When Avast alerts me about the detected malware file, I quickly opened Avast's Virus Chest and restored and added an exemption for the file in the Avast Virus Chest (while the installation was still in progress). By the time the installation is complete, the restore was already complete.

To open the Virus Chest, open Avast Anti-Virus program, click on Protection in the left menu, then click on the Virus Chest icon. Now scroll down to the file sspcf.dll. It will have a date very close to the current time on your computer. Tick the box next to this entry. A tick mark will appear. At the bottom of the Avast window, a green Delete button will appear. Do not click on this button, but click on the ... next to it. Now click on the Restore and add exception option in the menu that appears. If you do it quickly, the process will be completed before the SongShow Plus installation finishes and Windows tries to start SongShow Plus 9 for the first time. If not, an error message will appear to warn you that the sspcf.ddl file is missing.

This work-around allowed me to get a working installation.

Warning

Do not to restore other quarantined files in the chest without careful consideration; most of them are real threats. Only do it for the sspcf.dll file!

George
10/31/2019 10:37:36 AM
Hello Again SSP 9 users.

I wanted to follow up again briefly on this.

It has come to our attention that other AV software has also flagged this file as suspect.  This is sometimes expected when new behaviors are added to a file.

We have contacted and submitted the file for evaluation to many of the mainstream AV providers and have already received confirmation from several of them that our file is NOT malicious and they are in the process of updating their databases.  Some of the real-time scanners have already picked up on this.

As before, our stance is that the file is OK and our guidance is to set an exception in your AV platform to allow SSP.  This process will vary depending on what product you use.

We thank you for your patience as this traverses the AV ecosystem and all providers are updated.

If you do encounter this, we encourage you to report/submit this to your AV provider as a false positive.  The more submissions they receive, the faster it will get updated.

George
12/6/2019 12:10:03 PM
Hello Again SSP 9 users.

I am glad to inform you that we have resolved the previous False-Positive detection issue that we were encountering.

To proceed, our suggestion is as follows:
  • Update to the new SongShow Plus 9.0 build dated 12/4 (or later).
  • After your update is successful you can then remove any exceptions you may have set in your AV tools.
  • Resume "normal" operations as it pertains to your organization.
NOTE:  If you have any prior install packages for 9.0 still on your machine, you will probably get new hits after you reset your AV tools.  We recommend that you delete all prior versions.

We thank you for your patience while we addressed this situation.

If you do encounter any additional bad behavior in the 12/4 build or later please let us know right away.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙