Version 9.0 > Limitations on Songs database and other resources


10/11/2019 3:59:13 AM
We currently run SSP 8.5 and I am looking at the preview of SSP 9.

My question is: what is the limitation on the size of the Songs database? We have hundreds of songs that we subscribe to (some are variants, i.e. certain verses sung by males/females). Last count was over 700 files. Then we also have a few thousand images for these songs displaying the music score and lyrics for each verse. Disk space and memory is not a problem.

We don't use fancy backgrounds. The standard setting is solid black background and white Arial narrow text.

When starting SSP, it does a lengthy re-indexing of the database every time. And it often does a re-indexing when adding a song to a program. Nothing breaks (thus far), but I am getting worried by this occurring more frequently. The same occurs in version 9 preview.

Any cause for concern?

10/16/2019 10:00:45 AM
Thanks for your interest in SSP 9.0

There is no hard set limit to the number of songs (in either 8.5 or 9.0) however there may be a functional one depending on the number of databases used and content stored within.  As you pointed out, the more content, the longer some functions, like indexing, take to execute.  As this number rises, wait times and frustration may also rise.   As a Best Practice, we do recommend judicious curation and culling of the song and media files databases to avoid duplication and bloat.

That said, under normal circumstances the indexing process should not occur on every startup.  There is a KB article that should address this for you -

If this does not resolve your issue, please contact the support team for assistance. 

10/26/2019 1:54:14 AM
I read the KB article. Yes, I did change the file names, but only while SSP is not running. This has been standard practice for years.

The problem only start a number of months ago. After the Rebuild Song Indexes, the songs appear in the Songs database as normal and they can be displayed in a program (on v. 9 preview, many songs does not show up, while still available in 8.5 programs). The frustrating part is that it occurs frequently, but not EVERY time I open SSP.

Manually re-indexing the database with the SSP Tools > Database Utilities > SongShow Plus > Rebuild Indexes and the the Fix Up Song Titles option, does not change the situation. I have tried this numerous times in 8.5, but I am hesitant to try it in 9 Preview, fearing that I may permanently loose the songs in question.

Apart from the initial re-indexing during the program start-up, automatic re-indexing again occurs from time to time when another alphabet character in the Songs database is selected. Culling songs is not really an option, as visiting ministers may pick one of the songs that we do not regularly sing. Candidates may be the few stock hymns, but that would imply a manual process again as there is no way that I know of to do it in a bulk process.

I already logged a call to support regarding the Songs not showing up in v. 9.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. An unhandled exception has occurred. See browser dev tools for details. Reload 🗙