Version 5.5 > Fun with 5.5

osborn4
12/10/2005 7:48:46 AM

Yesterday we had a really wierd situation. My cohort in crime (a.k.a. the other half of the graphics creations team) went over to church in the morning to start on the song show for this weekend. Actually, she was in and out a couple of times, working on the graphics between appointments.

Everything was fine.

When she went back in the evening to finish, SSP would lock up anytime she tried to display anything, either with the green diamond or double clicking.

Bringing up the task manager and cancelling SSP was the only way out. Task manager reported SSP as not responding.

I went over to see what I could do. After some basic trouble shooting (and guessing), I reinstalled the graphics engine of SSP, rebooted and everything started to work.

I'm pretty sure nothing had changed on the machine. So any theories on why SSP would just break like that would be welcome. I would really hate to have to troubleshoot something like this on a Sabbath morning.

Is 5.5 just getting old and starting to fall apart? Is it pining for retirement, whilst 7.0 is prepping itself for it's official debute?

osborn4
12/10/2005 3:32:10 PM
I talked to the other half of my creative team this morning. She had SSP lock up twice more last night, occasionally losing unsaved work. She got to the point that she was saving after every change.

This morning, things seems to go well during the services, so I don't know if this has to do with making changes in the program, or what.

dreece
12/10/2005 10:05:26 PM
Well, if have not made any changes to your system, and since you haven't changed your SSP install, and now things are locking up, it makes me wonder if there is a hardware problem occuring.

osborn4
12/10/2005 10:45:23 PM
Good thought. But a scary one.

Perhaps a checkdisk is in order.

iamgap
12/11/2005 5:43:56 AM
Posted By osborn4 on 12/10/2005 10:45 PM
Good thought. But a scary one.

Perhaps a checkdisk is in order.
If you have a bootable windows XP/2k CD, run it from there. Choose the first repair option, and then the Consol option.

Once at the consol (DOS Prompt) type chkdsk c: /r

The only down side to this is that it won't be able to make an event viewer entry when it completes. The plus side is that it will use the command on the CD instead of the one on the HDD that may be corrupt also.

We do this all the time with a WinPE CD. Since you have to have a special license to get a legitimate copy of WinPE, the next best thing would be BartPE. I have been told the latest version of Nopix (sp?) can run chkdsk on an NTFS partition.

gap

osborn4
12/11/2005 7:28:28 AM
Yeah. We use BartPE all the time at work. We have it avaiable for network boot.

Didn't think of downloading it to for here to boot from CD. Might be worth a look.

osborn4
12/12/2005 8:35:48 AM
Well, I've uninstalled the out of time eval of WinDVD v7, installed a licensed copy of WinDVD v4 (and a copy of Photoshop Elements 3.0 for other reasons).

I did a full check disk with repair and ran a disk defrag.

Let's hope things got straightened out somewhere along the way.

Karen39
12/14/2005 7:20:23 PM
Hmmm, aren't you always having trouble with your computer???  

osborn4
12/14/2005 8:07:35 PM
Posted By Karen39 on 12/14/2005 7:20 PM
Hmmm, aren't you always having trouble with your computer???  

Hey, if it was easy, I wouldn't get paid this much.

....oh, wait..... 

Oh yeah. I do all this just for the fun and glory.

And God!

Karen39
12/16/2005 10:48:27 AM
He he, I got a huge raise this year!  They tripled my pay.  0 x 0 = 0

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙