Version 5.5 > New bridge not showing up in current song

psaulm119
12/13/2005 5:40:20 PM
During a service, I typed in a new bridge to a song (that was currently being displayed) and it didn't show up in the Program menu on the right, even though, when I went back to Edit Song/Lyrics, the lyrics were entered in.  I didn't get any error message about not being able to edit a song in this or that database--IIRC, this was a song that I had typed in myself.  I couldn't find anything in the user's manual--is this something that happens occasionally, or under particular circumstances? I know I've typed in stuff on teh fly that did show up, so I was just wondering what the deal was here.

David
12/14/2005 12:34:14 PM
Due to various settings in user preferences it would be difficult for me to fully explain how this works without knowing what specific setting you are using.

However, in our testing we did notice an unexpected behavior where after editing a song sequence we unable to display recently added sequences.  A simple work around to this is to hit the blank slide button and to then play the song (or specific song verse) again. 

We will look into this and see if we can't find a more permanent resolution.

psaulm119
12/14/2005 11:57:53 PM
David, do you mean right-click and insert a blank slide somewhere in teh song, and then click back on the song I want to play? 

Blairness
12/15/2005 3:47:13 AM
Did you add the bridge into the 'verse sequence' for the song, in the program menu? Or add it into the 'typical verse sequence' under the song's display properties AND tick the 'typical verse sequence' box in the 'verse sequence' for the song, in the program menu?

David
12/15/2005 9:41:24 AM
Posted By psaulm119 on 12/14/2005 11:57 PM
David, do you mean right-click and insert a blank slide somewhere in teh song, and then click back on the song I want to play? 

No, you'd have to click the Blank Slide button.  It's the black button with a green diamond in the right corner.  It blacks out your program screen until you play another program item.  It's not an optimal solution to the problem you experienced but it's the best one I can offer you. 

Alternatively, after editing the song if you have your Database Inspector window open, you can expand the song there instead of in the program and play the newly added section from there instead of from the program.  The only downfall here is that the sections of the song played this way will use your global display properties instead of any program display properties. 

psaulm119
12/16/2005 5:35:46 PM
Thanks David, I know what button you are talking about now.  At least if that happens again, I have a (potential) solution to teh problem. Yeah blacking out the screen for a second isn't optimal, but it sure beats having no lyrics up there (or the wrong ones).

psaulm119
12/16/2005 5:36:48 PM
Posted By Blairness on 12/15/2005 3:47 AM
Did you add the bridge into the 'verse sequence' for the song, in the program menu? Or add it into the 'typical verse sequence' under the song's display properties AND tick the 'typical verse sequence' box in the 'verse sequence' for the song, in the program menu?
Blairness, neither. I just right-clicked and chose Edit Song (or something like that), then clicked Bridge 2 along the left side, and saved/applied/OKed. 

Blairness
12/16/2005 11:42:02 PM
That is probably why it didn't appear then. You have to add the verses that you want in the verse sequence of a song in the program menu, one of these two ways to be able to view them in the verse sequence of the song in the program menu (DEPENDING ON YOUR SETTINGS). If you can understand that!
In the program menu, a song will probably display (depending on your settings) whatever verse sequence you have set for it. If you have added a new verse (or bridge or whatever) you need to add it to the verse sequence.

In my other post, the first way of saving the verse sequence will only save it for that item in that program. The second way of saving the verse sequence will save it as the typical verse sequence for that song (whenever the song is added to ANY program, it will use that verse sequence), the second way of saving the verse sequence also said how to get the new typical verse sequence to show up for that item in that program.

If you'd like me to give you detailed steps on how to save verse sequences either way, please let me know.

psaulm119
12/23/2005 10:53:22 PM
Blairness, I'm not understanding your language here at all. It happened again last night--added some lyrics or a bridge and it didnt' show up.  I'm not sure why I can't get this--in  songbase all I had to do was open up a .txt file and type away. It was saved and showed up and I didn't have to do anything extra to get it to show up this way all the time. 

Can you give me the terms to click?  Let's say I have a program in SSP opened up--what I see is the song panel on my left; the program menu on my right. Above is simply the main menu. Far below as far as I can is the Display (practice mode) panel. What should I click on to get SSP to display the lyrics/verses that I want to add?

Blairness
12/27/2005 4:08:40 AM
Sorry, the problem is I don't have SSP available to me when I post to this forum. So unfortunately I probably won't be able to help you any more very easily. I'm pretty sure I know your exact situation, and the solution is probably fairly easy once you can understand it! I think this is where SSP support needs to come in. I'm sure they must be able to figure out exactly what is happening by now after our posts. I am really keen to help you, but unfortunatly because of the curcumstances, it would be very hard.

Let's hope SSP support see this! (have you tried phoning them?)

In the meantime: If you select the song you have just added the bridge to, in the 'program menu' (so it is in the 'song panel'), is the new bridge in the song in the 'song panel'?

Lee
12/27/2005 6:58:27 AM
Posted By psaulm119 on 12/16/2005 5:36 PM
Blairness, neither. I just right-clicked and chose Edit Song (or something like that), then clicked Bridge 2 along the left side, and saved/applied/OKed. 

I think what Blairness is pointing out is something to do after you have done the steps you describe in your post when you edit a song to add a new part.

I use the SongSelect database and can only assume it works the same as other databases; I don't know which one you are using. After the song has been edited and saved, and if the View > Show Media Control / Preview Panel > Show Current Item Control is displayed, then a button for the new part will be displayed in its panel, and you should be able to click on the button to display the verse. But the new bridge or verse is not in a sequence yet, so if you click forward in the program, you will not see the new part there.

Is it possible, then, that what Blairness is pointing out is that immediately after you have "saved/applied/OKed", from the program panel right click on the same song, choose Edit Verse Sequence. Then add the new Part (the bridge) with the blue arrow on the right, to the sequence list on the left side, and save.

Further, he might be saying that when you now look at the verse in the program panel, the new B will be present, both as a verse in the sequence, and, if the Show Details > Full Text option is selected, also shown as text.

psaulm119
12/27/2005 8:16:00 AM
Lee and Blair, thanks and I'll look at your posts when I can access SSP in a couple of days. One other thing just occurred to me. If I have already altered the sequence of the song (which is highly possible--I was doing a LOT of editing that night), I will probably need to put the new stanza in the new song sequence, for it to show up. Its reasonable to asusme that a stanza would show up immediately, if you are using the traditional verse sequence; but if its been altered, SSP still would assume that you only want the particular stanzas you have selected, in the order you have selected them.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

At least for now.

As far as tech support is concerned, one of them weighed in already and said that I've got a bug on my hands. I have been hoping that we could get a workaround, that's all. But I will email someone who's already replied to me, and see if they can do anything more--but I think we've already got the official SSP line on this problem, up higher in the thread.

osborn4
12/27/2005 9:13:27 AM
Does/did the bridge show up on the buttons in the upper right that show V1, V2, C, C2, etc?

melissa-ryan
1/19/2006 10:27:22 PM
I hope you are still needing advise on this problem because I know exactly what you are talking about. This would happen to me a lot and I too enter all the lyrics 'semi' manually. When the song is in a program and you make changes to the verse sequence, for some reason it doesn't record the changes right away. To 'update' it, you need to remove the song and then add it to the program again. Sometimes when I am working on the songs the day before worship and had to make a lot of small changes I take them all out of the program and put them all back in, just to make sure the changes are excepted. It works for me every time. I hope this helps.

Melissa
New Wine Fellowship
Redway, Ca

Karen39
1/20/2006 5:58:48 AM
I know what Melissa is saying.  I always do that too.  If I make a bunch of changes, I remove the song and readd it and everything works fine. 

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙