Version 9.0 > Legacy Plugin Support (Online Bible)

jthomet
2/15/2020 8:43:58 PM
The sticky post with the release notes for the 1/30/2020 release of SongShow Plus 9 confirms my worst fears:  the removal of Online Bible support.  I'd noticed it was missing from several of the earlier release candidates, and had dismissed the observation with the thought that not all features were enabled in a preview release...  I should have asked about that earlier.

Is there any replacement planned at any time in the future?  With Online Bible support missing, we're between a rock and a hard place:  Unstable video playback support due to Windows 10 updates in SSP 8.5, or losing access to the translations our preaching staff commonly use in SSP 9.

akins
2/16/2020 11:34:30 AM
I suspect that $$$ is the issue: purchase one plugin and get many translations versus purchasing multiple translations.

jthomet
2/16/2020 9:22:14 PM
I suspect you are correct there... They do stand to make some additional money (from our congregation) for the few translations we use that SongShow offers for purchase. There are, however, still translations offered by Online Bible that cannot be purchased from SongShow (PHILLIPS, for example), which was the primary reason we went that route in the first place. It would be nice if some option were made available... I cannot imagine this to be a technical decision that would increase the stability of the software/solution, but I could be wrong about that. It's happened before...

George
2/19/2020 5:16:53 PM
Hey Guys...

To clarify your concerns and reasoning behind the changes:

We understand that there may be some frustration with the loss of a feature that you were used to.  That said, these legacy plug-ins have been on the way out since the first Version 8.x build.  If you recall, in order for that to work, the last build of SSP version 7 was required to be installed for it to work.  Even back then with Version 8.x this was a work around incorporated to appease concerns at that time and there was notice given it would not be supported at some point.

Version 9.0 changes required that we cut ties with that old work around to get away from restrictions of Version 7.

As far as the Philips translation you mentioned, I am not familiar with that one but you can still use your stand-alone OLB software to copy text and create slides for SongShow Plus as needed.  As I understand it there is quite a bit of work required to add new translations, especially the ones with a copyright.

Hopefully you are able to work with the available translations and the slide builder to create your content.

Thanks!

iamgap
2/24/2020 1:32:27 PM
I remember at one time there was a file that could be edited for displaying Bibles. This was before HCSB was available in SSP, and I considered making (editing an existing) Bible file to use the HCSB license the church had purchased. This editing process was more work than I was willing to put in, but someone with good typing skills could probably knock it out in a reasonable amount of time. Is that still an option?

gap

George
2/25/2020 1:18:01 PM
Gary,

Not sure what file(s) you might be referring to but as far as I know, there are no user editable bible files in the SongShow Plus Bible database.   
Any effort to "trick" the system or edit files that are not meant to be edited will most likely result in really bad behavior or SSP not working at all.

However, to your point, if someone really wanted a particular translation and wanted to put in the work they could create a slide deck in Slide Builder for it.  My guess though is that is way more effort than anyone is willing to expend.  And there is the copyright issue if it is not a Public Domain translation.

To post messages to the forums you must be signed in to a user account.
An error has occurred. This application may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙